Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Chris Colabello Finds Comfort at the Plate

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What a great read, thanks for sharing this story. I was annoyed when Colabello made the team as it signaled to me the total lack of options this team has. I viewed him as good story sideshow who would be back in AAA by June.

Its still possible that comes true. However, this article shows that he is a student of the game. He knows how to hit, knows how to make adjustments and knows what his role should be. His dedication is paying off and it would be nice if he could stay up for a few seasons. He could take that same dedication and work in as a hitting coach on some level as he seems pretty intelligent.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Article of the year so far. What I have been hoping is that Colabello needed that failure last year to have success this year. It is not at all unusual for a player to struggle the first time he is in the majors. It just felt different because he was 29. I don't know how any baseball fan couldn't root for this guy.

4. This user likes Otwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (04-08-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,314 Times in 709 Posts
    Colabello is a major reason to watch right now, he's paid his dues and has earned his shot, I'm pulling for him.

Great to hear what he says about Mauer. I think that's a big plus for Colabello, he's smart enough to pay attention to the things that make guys like Mauer great and take something from it.

6. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (04-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, do I like Colabello's attitude. I hope he's seen some footage of Manny Ramirez. There's a guy that could blast to all fields and adjust to different speeds better than just about anybody.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ask and you shall receive. This is the story I've been waiting to see written. Kudos to Parker! You have put the rest of the local media to shame.....as I would be stunned if this article isn't picked up and reprinted all around the country. No matter how it all turns out in the long run, thanks for getting the full scope and scoop of what is shaping up to be the early season story of the year.

How did you get such great, insightful quotes? I'm assuming that the media, for the most part, has limited access to the players in-season. Cola comes across as an amalgamation of an Everyman, Don Quixote and Robert Pirsig (by coincidence, Pirsig's son in Zen and the Art...., is also named Chris). Here's a guy who's actually living what the Twins preach about playing the game the right way. I've already forwarded this out to all the athletes I've played with and coached over the years. Triumph for Cola no matter how this plays out, and triumph for Parker on a tremendous read.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-08-2014 at 02:38 AM.

9. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (04-08-2014)

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This might be the best piece of sports journalism i have seen on this site. What a great article. Send it into SI, and get paid well.

11. These 3 users like h2oface's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (04-09-2014), JB_Iowa (04-08-2014), thetank (04-08-2014)

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is such a great read and should be passed on to every prospect in the A+ and AA and AAA level. It would give players a great awareness as to how to grow as a hitter. Awesome interview and article.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    Wow, that was a fun read! Well written and insightful. Couldn't ask for more. Thanks for putting this out there!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parker, I agree that this article should be printed in SI. Outstanding journalism. Well written. Very personal. We fans need to be reminded that these players are human beings with hopes and dreams, families and friends, money problems and injuries, competitive against some of the best athletes in the world who are trying to defeat them...playing an unforgiving game, where the player is not fully in control. Please submit it to SI. Cola is still living his story and it needs to be told. Thank you for telling it so well.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    When i open up an article from you Parker, I always expect a great, comprehensible technical analysis. I had absolutely no idea you could write the human interest aspect so well. It is the best article I have ever read on this site and one of the best about a Twin that I've read for a long time.

Congrats, Parker and thanks and congrats to Colabello for making the first week of the season memorable. I was rooting for him because I appreciated the risk he was willing to take to make his major league dream come true. I had no idea that I should be rooting for him because he is what being a professional baseball player is all about.

16. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-08-2014), snepp (04-08-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rarely do I get goosebumps when reading stories about professional athletes playing at the highest level, but this one got me. He seems so level-headed and insightful and has beaten some ridiculous odds to get here, you have to root for him.

18. This user likes ericchri's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-08-2014)

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great piece of writing, Parker! I hope Chris Colabello continues having success this year. He deserves it and it would greatly help our offense.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Great read.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm in complete agreement with everyone here. I don't know how to go about getting it to the proper channels to get out there, so if anyone has any ideas, let us know. For sure, copy the link to this article and promoted on Facebook and Twitter and other social media places. Send it on Twitter to the Ken Rosenthal's, Peter Gammons, Buster Olney, etc.

I've said it many times... talking to Chris Colabello about baseball, process, life, anything is pretty incredible... I remember after meeting him in person for the first time last September that I came away immensely impressed by the person. When he did a Q&A for this site last January (2013), I remember reading it over and over and using some of his responses in my daily life.

Can't help but be happy for him and this start. Just a tremendous story about a tremendous person!

Nice job. Go Chris!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting stuff about the Can-Am league too. I always assumed it was about equivalent to the Saints league, but it actually sounds lower quality and more disorganized, which makes Colabello's ascent even more unlikely!

Espn picked up and has linkage to story.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...hris-colabello

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm in complete agreement with everyone here. I don't know how to go about getting it to the proper channels to get out there, so if anyone has any ideas, let us know. For sure, copy the link to this article and promoted on Facebook and Twitter and other social media places. Send it on Twitter to the Ken Rosenthal's, Peter Gammons, Buster Olney, etc.

I've said it many times... talking to Chris Colabello about baseball, process, life, anything is pretty incredible... I remember after meeting him in person for the first time last September that I came away immensely impressed by the person. When he did a Q&A for this site last January (2013), I remember reading it over and over and using some of his responses in my daily life.

Can't help but be happy for him and this start. Just a tremendous story about a tremendous person!

25. This user likes jsimssd72's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (04-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

Chris Colabello sounds like the kind of man you'd like to have on any team, any sport, in any capacity you can get him. The best thing about Twins Daily really is not just baseball news, but also finding out about the fascinating people in the organization. Guys like Colabello, AJ Pettersen, Tim Shibuya, and others have shown themselves not only to be talented ballplayers, but also eloquent and expressive diarists of their experiences in their quest to reach the Show.

I really hope the staff at TD continues to encourage these young men to share their experiences and their opinions on any subject they care to discuss. The connections they forge with fans are so much better than just watching the Twins on TV. These are people just like us, struggling to find their way through all the uncertainties of life.

Doesn't everybody here just feel like giving Chris Colabello some kind of trophy, just for being such an awesome dude?

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    I agree with all about the quality of this article. Just top-notch stuff. And congratulations to the author for getting picked up by ESPN.

I for one think Colabello's story would make a pretty compelling book. Maybe we're a few years away yet from that point, but I'm over here sharpening my pencils...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast