Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buyers or Sellers?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    What of value do they have to trade to get real players back? I love the cellars line, btw.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They really don't have any older players that have significant trade value.

Good starting pitchers or players up the middle have the value. Suzuki may be the best trade piece. Someone is going to need a catcher and they are in short supply. It is easy to gauge the return. He has been traded each of the last two years.

Relievers and aging corner players don't get a return of significant prospects. Expect something along the lines of two C prospects or older fallen prospects.

Senior Member MVP
    So, ya, we need the dang minor league system to graduate good players.....until the pipeline is open, they will be bad, since they do not sign great players, and have nothing of value to deal.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milldaddy35 View Post
    You think we would trade burton?
    If Burton is having a reasonably good season by the deadline they should most definitely get the most they can for him.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Kubel could be their best trade asset if he keeps this up.

Is their a market for Plouffe next season? If there is i think trade him and bring up Sano. Anyone think Pelfry get traded?

I hope they would make any trades that better position the team for the future. That's what you do with a bad team (ie. Astros) The only players on the 40 man roster I would not trade are Meyer, Gibson, Thielbar, Tonkin, Hicks, Arcia, Pinto, Rosario and Kepler. Ayone else, including Mauer, I would trade if the offer was right.

Kubel, Colabello and Plouffe look very good at the plate right now. I would think these three all have the potential to bring a decent return if they continue to perfrom and I would not be afraid to let Plouffe go this year if the offer was right. I really like Dozier but I would bet on Rosario or Santana at 2B if the offer was right.

I pray for Willingham and Correia to perform well enough to be traded for value by the deadline.

8. This user likes Major Leauge Ready's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (04-08-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    I agree with MLR. That's what should have been happening for 3 years now, and hopefully will happen this year. I also agree with his list, though I'd trade Thielbar. At this point, if you could get a legit player (which you can't) for Rosario, I'd do that too. But you can't. I also agree on Dozier, but I don't see that happening.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    If I was a GM in the middle of a pennant race I don't see anyone on the Twins I'd think that guy can put us over the top lets get go him.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

11. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I agree with MLR. That's what should have been happening for 3 years now, and hopefully will happen this year. I also agree with his list, though I'd trade Thielbar. At this point, if you could get a legit player (which you can't) for Rosario, I'd do that too. But you can't. I also agree on Dozier, but I don't see that happening.
    I just tossed Thielbar in that group because I was not sure if they could get something in return. Yes, they should have done this long ago but our FO does have a difficult time committing to a rebuild. I will put a great deal of weight in grading this season on advancement of prospects and our ability to turn currrent players not on this list into prospects or players who can help with rebuilding.

13. This user likes Major Leauge Ready's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-08-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    If I was a GM in the middle of a pennant race I don't see anyone on the Twins I'd think that guy can put us over the top lets get go him.
    The Yankees offense is actually worse than the Twins. Now that Plouffe is going both ways, I cold see Cashman projecting that Plouffie could reach both the LF and RF walls, which are both much cozier than Target. Plouffie would only have to beat out Kelly Johnson for a starting spot.

Senior Member MVP
    Perkins or Mauer, maybe....but other than that? Gibson might be, but he is clearly untouchable (like, you'd have to OVERPAY to get him).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    I just tossed Thielbar in that group because I was not sure if they could get something in return. Yes, they should have done this long ago but our FO does have a difficult time committing to a rebuild. I will put a great deal of weight in grading this season on advancement of prospects and our ability to turn currrent players not on this list into prospects or players who can help with rebuilding.
    see, we agree on a lot.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Judging by the last couple of seasons, they'll probably be neither. They seem to have a hard time figuring out which side of the equation to be on.

Agreed. Should have been a no-brainer each year in July. I agree with Jorgen, we should be selling guys like KC and Pelfrey and targeting young, controllable players with upside.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The Yankees offense is actually worse than the Twins. Now that Plouffe is going both ways, I cold see Cashman projecting that Plouffie could reach both the LF and RF walls, which are both much cozier than Target. Plouffie would only have to beat out Kelly Johnson for a starting spot.
    It is a tad early to say the Twins have a better offense. No question the Yankees have stepped back, but my nickel would be the Yankees outscore the Twins this year.

I agree that Plouffe would be an upgrade for them though. But personally I want to keep this guy. He can play 3B, 1B, LF, and RF and he crushes lefties.

I don't even know what I'm having for dinner tonight. I have no clue what this weird franchise will do in 3 months.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Money not withstanding, you don't think a GM in a pennant race that would want to go get Perkins or Mauer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12