Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Acquire Infielder Eduardo Nunez From Yankees

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    If his defense was as atrocious as the metrics suggest the Twins, much less Gardy, wouldn't have put Florimon's job on the hot seat. The pitching depth is actually very healthy at the A level, and within a year we've traded Butera for a middle infielder with youth--which was ****ing unimaginable this time last year.

For those that wish to read into the move, whether founded or not: the move suggests 1) confidence in A-level pitching 2) Santana is not ready to replace Florimon 3) Florimon's defense (or anyone SS's) does not forgive his bat 4) Bartlett is not the replacement SS (nor a replacement OFer).

One wonders what is up with Sulbaran that makes his arm expendable to firstly, an obviously worthless part and secondly, a questionable worthwhile part. There's probably something there, if abstract and amorphous.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 04-08-2014 at 01:01 AM.

2. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

minn55441 (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Guys, this can only be a win for us. We parlayed Drew Butera, a guy who was never going to sniff the majors, for a real honest-to-God major leaguer.

Sorry, what's that? Drew played in the major leagues? For what team!?

What!? For how many years!!!???

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Guys, this can only be a win for us. We parlayed Drew Butera, a guy who was never going to sniff the majors, for a real honest-to-God major leaguer.

Sorry, what's that? Drew played in the major leagues? For what team!?

What!? For how many years!!!???
    Drew started yesterday for the Dodgers.

But Nunez could be half the "win" on the way to a "win-win". Read on:

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    If his defense was as atrocious as the metrics suggest the Twins, much less Gardy, wouldn't have put Florimon's job on the hot seat. The pitching depth is actually very healthy at the A level, and within a year we've traded Butera for a middle infielder with youth--which was ****ing unimaginable this time last year.

For those that wish to read into the move, whether founded or not: the move suggests 1) confidence in A-level pitching 2) Santana is not ready to replace Florimon 3) Florimon's defense (or anyone SS's) does not forgive his bat 4) Bartlett is not the replacement SS (nor a replacement OFer).

One wonders what is up with Sulbaran that makes his arm expendable to firstly, an obviously worthless part and

secondly, a questionable worthwhile part.

There's probably something there, if abstract and amorphous.
    How about both less abstract and amorphous?

Nunez's career slash vs. LHP: .278/.324/.418/.742
    Would have been a perfect platoon partner with Drew, but that ship has sailed.

How about Didi Gregorius, demoted by the D-Backs who have soured a bit on him and reportedly have placed him on the trading block? Just turned 24...and most importantly...bats LH.

Here's his slash against RHP: .275/.355/.419/.774

Get her done, Terry and Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    The best part of this deal was being at the game, having the trade announced, and Florimon getting a base hit 30 seconds later.
    The fire has been lit!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Gardy in the Pioneer Press' Nunez story:

"We need (Florimon) to hit .240, .250. It can't be .200, .210, whatever," Gardenhire said. "We need more than that. The way he can pick it, it's a wonderful thing to have those two out there. But we're not in that area where we can leave a guy out there who just doesn't hit at all."

Pretty clear Nunez was acquired with an eye toward SS. Also pretty clear Florimon's not "just fine as a 9 hole hitter."
    What happened to: "if everybody else hits, we can have [Punto]...."?

7. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

notoriousgod71 (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem with Sulbaran is not amorphous. He came to camp out of shape and has not done enough to regain a starting job at low A, a level he is repeating after starting all year there last year, and putting up better numbers than Berrios at the same age.

It is entirely possible Nunez is AAA filler. They waited until he cleared waivers so he didn't have to be added to the 40 man.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    I'm fine with this deal from the standpoint that I don't feel the Twins gave up a ton to get Nunez. But when I look at his slash line, I can't help but think James Beresford could produce about as well and play better defense. Beresford's knock is that he doesn't show power, but Nunez's .690 career OPS wouldn't be too tough to match.
    Nunez has a career .692 OPS in the majors playing in the AL East. This might be a tad misleading because in both 2012 and 2013 he was fighting injuries and had a pretty long rehab. In 2010 in AA Eastern League he had a .782 OPS and in 2011 in AAA International League a .721 OPS. I know you are high on Beresford but his career AA OPS is .668 and AAA OPS is .712, in the same leagues. The AAA numbers are close but the AA not that close. I don't think that Beresford might be more than a .600-.650 OPS guy in the majors (Florimon level)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    It is entirely possible Nunez is AAA filler. They waited until he cleared waivers so he didn't have to be added to the 40 man.
    This could have been true, if the Twins had not added Nunez on the 40 man roster
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I don't think it is possible to "overvalue" a player whose name you cannot spell, for starters.
    That would include Presley (OF), Pressly (P), Herrmann, Sulbaran, and Colabello? Sorry, couldn't resist. The "Herrmann promoted" thread had so many misspellings that I had to write something about it somewhere.

12. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gardy in the Pioneer Press' Nunez story:

"We need (Florimon) to hit .240, .250. It can't be .200, .210, whatever," Gardenhire said. "We need more than that. The way he can pick it, it's a wonderful thing to have those two out there. But we're not in that area where we can leave a guy out there who just doesn't hit at all."

Pretty clear Nunez was acquired with an eye toward SS. Also pretty clear Florimon's not "just fine as a 9 hole hitter."
    I love how the Twins do next to nothing to develop or sign an mlb ss.Then they take a double a cast off and promote him two levels above where he should be, then criticize him and say they need more. It is not Pedro's fault and Bartlett, Nunez, and Escobar are next in line with the same result. Look inward. Seriously.

14. These 5 users like tobi0040's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

deanlambrecht (04-08-2014), mike wants wins (04-08-2014), Mr. Brooks (04-08-2014), notoriousgod71 (04-08-2014), USAFChief (04-08-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    The problem with Sulbaran is not amorphous. He came to camp out of shape and has not done enough to regain a starting job at low A, a level he is repeating after starting all year there last year, and putting up better numbers than Berrios at the same age.

Actually they didn't. Today was deadline day for Nunez and the Yankees. And it's entirely likely that the Astros or White Sox would have won the claim on him. He was added to the Twins 40 man immediately.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I love how the Twins do next to nothing to develop or sign an mlb ss.Then they take a double a cast off and promote him two levels above where he should be, then criticize him and say they need more. It is not Pedro's fault and Bartlett, Nunez, and Escobar are next in line with the same result. Look inward. Seriously.
    Concur.

Florimon's bat didn't just become a problem over the first week of the season.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

17. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-08-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    That would include Presley (OF), Pressly (P), Herrmann, Sulbaran, and Colabello? Sorry, couldn't resist. The "Herrmann promoted" thread had so many misspellings that I had to write something about it somewhere.
    Rounding up "The Usual Suspects"?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Concur.

Florimon's bat didn't just become a problem over the first week of the season.
    Yes, but I think Tobi assumed a bridge too far. Nunez is definitely above the ceiling of the others, there's at least a fighting chance that a clean slate for Nunez can yield difference-making results- and could really buy some time until the Twins figure out what to do about the position. I still say they should be calling on the D-Backs for the price for freeing Didi.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Yes, but I think Tobi assumed a bridge too far. Nunez is definitely above the ceiling of the others, there's at least a fighting chance that a clean slate for Nunez can yield difference-making results- and could really buy some time until the Twins figure out what to do about the position. I still say they should be calling on the D-Backs for the price for freeing Didi.
    I hope you're right, but IMO the most likely result is Nunez hits a little better, but fields much worse than Florimon. Just another guy who most will want replaced after watching him play for a month or three.

I wish they'd make an actual attempt to put quality players on the field, rather than try to "get by" on the cheap.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

21. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tobi0040 (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I am just frustrated. We are in year 3 of our rebuilding and apart from drafting Michael, we haven't signed a free agent, an international free agent, or traded for a single player with a realistic shot at being an MLB SS. It has been clear for awhile now Levi is not the answer.

If a guy who is unemployed is too expensive (Drew), I compeltely agree Didi would be a great pickup. He was a top 100 prospect, has a career .252 career average, .329 OBP, and OPS of .693. His scouting report back in the day gave his glove a 70. He isn't going to hit for power or steal bases, but given where we are I don't know why this isn't a huge upgrade. Didi lost his job to a guy that was a supplemental pick, had an OPS of .761 in the minors, and is hitting .318 in the big's. All at 22 years old. Hard to knock him for that.

The D-Backs would not be asking for Sano/Buxton/Meyer type talent and we have an extremely deep system.

23. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I hope you're right, but IMO the most likely result is Nunez hits a little better, but fields much worse than Florimon. Just another guy who most will want replaced after watching him play for a month or three.

I wish they'd make an actual attempt to put quality players on the field, rather than try to "get by" on the cheap.

Spot on. They flip the two, and instead of Gardy criticizing Pedro's bat, he criticizes Nunez's glove. They will probably be swapped for each other between AAA and the Twins a half a dozen times. News flash, Pedro's bat is why the O's cut him and Nunez glove is why the Yankees cut him.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I am just frustrated. We are in year 3 of our rebuilding and apart from drafting Michael, we haven't signed a free agent, an international free agent, or traded for a single player with a realistic shot at being an MLB SS. It has been clear for awhile now Levi is not the answer.

If a guy who is unemployed is too expensive (Drew), I compeltely agree Didi would be a great pickup. He was a top 100 prospect, has a career .252 career average, .329 OBP, and OPS of .693. His scouting report back in the day gave his glove a 70. He isn't going to hit for power or steal bases, but given where we are I don't know why this isn't a huge upgrade. Didi lost his job to a guy that was a supplemental pick, had an OPS of .761 in the minors, and is hitting .318 in the big's. All at 22 years old. Hard to knock him for that.

The D-Backs would not be asking for Sano/Buxton/Meyer type talent and we have an extremely deep system.
    The D-Backs pitchers are dropping like flies and they need catching depth.....but I doubt they'd go for a Brooks Raley/Eric Fryer package.......

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    The D-Backs pitchers are dropping like flies and they need catching depth.....but I doubt they'd go for a Brooks Raley/Eric Fryer package.......
    It will take something better than that. They have Archie Bradley who will be up shortly. He is a complete stud and will fill someone's shoes. The only position prospect in MLB's 100 is Owings, who is already there. So a guy like Harrison, or Walker, or something like that could be the basis for a nice package.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It sure seems like I'm in the minority here, but I really like this move. All this talk about how great Pedro Florimon is defensively, but the truth is he struggles to make the routine plays as well. Eduardo Nunez can at least hit and working daily will Paul Molitor should help his game defensively. He will be brought to MN to play on a regular basis. He will eventually become the everyday starting SS. The only issue I have with this move is WHY the team refuses to give Escobar a chance to play on a regular basis. Escobar is a much better all around player than Florimon. Bartlett is most likely gone. However, I would DFA Florimon before Escobar and it's not even close.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast