Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Acquire Infielder Eduardo Nunez From Yankees

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I disagree with your first statement. Gloves like his are special. I do agree that his bat is not up to snuff. The Twins might have one guy who has a chance to be that good (Vielma).
    I was not very clear. I meant 20 guys in all of the minors, not in the Twins system.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins must like the 45th pick of this draft more than Sulbaran.

3. These 4 users like Willihammer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-08-2014), mike wants wins (04-08-2014), notoriousgod71 (04-08-2014), USAFChief (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    The Twins must like the 45th pick of this draft more than Sulbaran.
    I am not following this. We aren't getting the 45th pick if Nunez leaves are we?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I am not following this. We aren't getting the 45th pick if Nunez leaves are we?
    There is one FA SS out there, unsigned, who probably would be an upgrade on Florimon's bat and Nunez's defense. But he would cost several million dollars and the ~45th draft pick.

Maybe the Twins can do better at 45 than a Miguel Sulbaran. He has been traded twice in the past year after all. I don't know. Just an observation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    There is one FA SS out there, unsigned, who probably would be an upgrade on Florimon's bat and Nunez's defense. But he would cost several million dollars and the ~45th draft pick.

Maybe the Twins can do better at 45 than a Miguel Sulbaran. He has been traded twice in the past year after all. I don't know. Just an observation.
    A Drew reference. Got it.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries

The D-Backs would not be asking for Sano/Buxton/Meyer type talent and we have an extremely deep system.
    I have no idea what it would take and assumptions like this are impossible for us mere mortals. It takes two teams to trade.

However... Based on last year... I'm not sure your quote is close to the ball park.

Just a year ago... The price tag for Didi was:

Shin Soo Choo and 3.5 Million in Cash to get him from the Reds

and

Trevor Bauer to get him from the Indians

Bauer was Buxton... Sano or Meyer like in terms of prospect status last year.

I have my doubts that the D-Backs are going to turn around and give him to the Twins for much much less because Owings showed up or because Didi OPS'ed .704 in 400 at bats last year.

Neither plunges his value in my opinion.

I'd love to have Didi but... is it possible that trade ideas occasionally floated about are simply harder to make happen in real life?
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

8. These 3 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-09-2014), PseudoSABR (04-08-2014), USAFChief (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was not very clear. I meant 20 guys in all of the minors, not in the Twins system.
    I know, and perhaps every team has a Vielma. I don't know. The last one we developed from within was Zoillo. Smalley, Gagne, Guzman, Bartlett and Florimon were all acquired. In the history of the Twins, we've developed more Mearses than Florimons.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Bauer wasn't close to Buxton last year. Not even on the same planet. Bauer might have been Berrios, but even that isn't sure. The league had soured on Bauer, very much.

Of course trades are harder to make ..... but it sure would be nice if they could find a SS.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Bauer wasn't close to Buxton last year. Not even on the same planet. Bauer might have been Berrios, but even that isn't sure. The league had soured on Bauer, very much.

Of course trades are harder to make ..... but it sure would be nice if they could find a SS.
    Bauer was a top 15 prospect before last season, higher even before then.

Senior Member MVP
    Not from what I read at the beginning of the year, but whatever. It won't take Buxton or Sano or Meyer to get Didi, if that is the point that was trying to be made.

Frankly, any P they don't think is a legit starter (or even some of their potential legit starters) should be traded for a potential SS at this point. Go get 2-3 more potential SS, because right now I don't see an obvious one in the entire system.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Not from what I read at the beginning of the year, but whatever. It won't take Buxton or Sano or Meyer to get Didi, if that is the point that was trying to be made.

Frankly, any P they don't think is a legit starter (or even some of their potential legit starters) should be traded for a potential SS at this point. Go get 2-3 more potential SS, because right now I don't see an obvious one in the entire system.
    I think the trade comp is difficult. The trade involved 9 players and 3 teams. So to say Didi for Bauer or Choo is not exactly accurate. Also, Bauer was and is a huge head case the D-Backs clearly factored into their trade. And Choo was a one year rental who was going to hit free agency as a Boras client.

I do agree that trades on the chat boards are easier than reality, but it seems to me the Twins could do a better job of finding teams with depth in areas we don't have any, and vice versa.

Not from what I read at the beginning of the year, but whatever.
    The prospect rankings are listed on Bauer's baseball reference minors page. (Not hard to double check that kind of thing if you have some cynicism about my statement of the facts). Bauer was more highly regarded than any arm in our current system prior to his trade to Cleveland, though there were questions about his makeup. He was the third overall pick not three drafts ago.

The notion that you can just go out and get shortstop prospects like Didi without giving up another significant part (top 5 prospect) is absurd; if Didi costs something less than that, there's probably something wrong with him. More, it would cost something of significance to go get prospects equivalent Danny Santana or Jorge Polanco, which we already have. Of course, the Twins need to address SS longterm and you're right that depth and upside help--but it's not a matter of them simply pulling the trigger or some such.

Beyond singing Drew, there's very little the Twins can actually do to address there current SS depth without hampering the team's future in some other way.

The Twins do have depth now (in Escobar and Nunez) and have some potential in the high minors with (Santana, Goodrum and Polanco (if he can stick at SS, and they are certainly giving him the chance to)). The SS stop situation looks far better than it has been in years (though still not what any of us would like).
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 04-08-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    I think we disagree on the mid-term outlook for SS.....but that's ok.
    Lighten up Francis....

I do agree that trades on the chat boards are easier than reality, but it seems to me the Twins could do a better job of finding teams with depth in areas we don't have any, and vice versa.
    That's exactly what they did with Nunez. (And really, these kind of statements can apply to all teams all the time). There's simply not that many better SS prospects than the collection we have in the high minors already. All teams tend to covet their SS prospects.

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Because we are sure that Phil Hughes would comment on his former and likely near future teammate without bias?I'm pretty bad evaluating defense, particular minor league defense, but given the context, I wouldn't take Hughes' comments as evidence of much here. Hoping for Nunez to become an acceptable glove at SS might be only a slightly better bet than hoping for Florimon to become an acceptable bat.Besides, with Santana at SS in Rochester, I am pretty sure they view Nunez as a utility guy, which lowers the bar for his SS defense a bit but also lowers his potential value.
    The quotes coming from the Twins seem to indicate they view him as a potential replacement for Florimon, rather than as a utility guy. Whether that works is doubtful but I dont think they got him with utility guy in mind.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

18. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-08-2014)

I think we all pretty much agree Pedro is not the SS of the future. The disconnect IMO is in the sense of urgency to resolve this position. Drew is an easy fix but does nothing in terms of a long-term resolution that will benefit the club when we SHOULD be competitive. The best case scenarios IMO are 1) Santana to reach his potential and if that does not happen an international signing. This should be given a year to transpire. Then, make a trade if we don't have a resolution. This is a big year for several prospects and it will be somewhat easier to envision the team of the future after this season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Would not Polanco and Goodrum be possible shortstop solutions if Santana is not? After all the two of them are both quite young and could develop into fine players or, of course, they could both also be busts.

Senior Member MVP
    I agree Drew does not help them in the mid term. I agree they did not do enough to matter again this year to anyone (noticed they didn't say they'd be playing meaninful games in September this offseason, have they FINALLY admitted they are rebuilding?) so signing him at this point does nothing much, imo.

I do not agree they have even a likely SS at AA or AAA right now. I also don't see them signing and Intl FA, since they passed on Abreu who was an obvious sign this year. There are no real SS available in FA next year. That leaves getting lucky with the players they have, or trading for one, or punting the position.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Plus we now get day-to-day game comparisons between the guy who was released by the Twins so they could claim Florimon, who is also the same guy who beat out Nunez for a spot on the Yankees. This soap opera is going to get good.
    I am amazed that no one else has picked up on this soap opera shuffling of mediocre shortstops, it is so bizarre that the entire situation is too ridiculous to even make it all up. Just check out www.baseballreference.com to get the history of the three shortstops we are talking about here.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The prospect rankings are listed on Bauer's baseball reference minors page. (Not hard to double check that kind of thing if you have some cynicism about my statement of the facts). Bauer was more highly regarded than any arm in our current system prior to his trade to Cleveland, though there were questions about his makeup. He was the third overall pick not three drafts ago.
    The trade happened after the prospect rankings, and AZ was already clearly down on Bauer. There was public squabbling about his workout and pregame routines and questions whether he would listen to management. AZ also clearly has management that prefers "grit and hustle" over natural abilities based on their past year's transactions. So I think Bauer's stock was down regardless of his prospect rankings, particularly when one considers that he was pretty much traded for Gregorius, who was not very highly ranked on most lists, if at all.

In fact, I'd think most people would argue that Matt Albers, Bryan Shaw and Drew Stubbs (the other players Cleveland got in the trade) were better than Lars Anderson and Tony Sipp (the other players AZ got in the trade.) That of course would indicate AZ and Cleveland both agreed that Gregorius was a better centerpiece than Bauer.

I think AZ is bat ^&*$ crazy and have no clue what they're doing currently, but that doesn't change the fact that breaking down the trade show's Bauer's value wasn't all that high.

24. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-08-2014), tobi0040 (04-08-2014)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast