Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Acquire Infielder Eduardo Nunez From Yankees

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    The best part of this deal was being at the game, having the trade announced, and Florimon getting a base hit 30 seconds later.

Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    I hate to admit this, but I honestly know next to nothing about Nunez. Hasn't he filled in before for Jeter when he's missed some time?

Is he really as bad defensively as posters here are saying?
    I've seen him a handful of times. He can boot the routine but he can run and throw. All in All... I think his D is better than some fear but nowhere close to Florimon.

Its a nice depth pickup and he might run over Florimon if Pedro can't at least eclipse the Mendoza Line.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I've seen him a handful of times. He can boot the routine but he can run and throw. All in All... I think his D is better than some fear but nowhere close to Florimon.

Its a nice depth pickup and he might run over Florimon if Pedro can't at least eclipse the Mendoza Line.
    Is it me, or does it seem this team loves to swap out utility infielders and 4th OF constantly, one no better than the last?

Clete Thomas, Mastro, Escobar x 2, Pressley....I bet if you went back 8 years you find at least one INF and one OF each year. In many cases two.

Aside from the fact that they are human beings with emotions, families, etc.....you don't lose anything. Just kind of bizarre to me.

4. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (04-07-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post

Fair assessment, all in all. But "IF"? At this point it's pretty evident that the time off from appendectomy surgery should have meant Florimon starting out in Rochester for a bit in the hope to get some chance of returning to .600+ OPS-level of timing at the plate. As of now, Ed Brinkman and Ray Oyler have aroused from their eternal rest in hopes that Florimon can somehow stay in the Twins line-up and seize the "Most Futile Hitting SS of All-time" mantle from their headstones.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Is it me, or does it seem this team loves to swap out utility infielders and 4th OF constantly, one no better than the last?

Clete Thomas, Mastro, Escobar x 2, Pressley....I bet if you went back 8 years you find at least one INF and one OF each year. In many cases two.

Aside from the fact that they are human beings with emotions, families, etc.....you don't lose anything. Just kind of bizarre to me.
    Who can forget the glory days of Eric Komatsu and Sean Burroughs?

7. These 3 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (04-07-2014), snepp (04-07-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reasonable pick up.

Most players hit better from 26-30 than they do from 22-25 so he can grow into a good utility hitter.

Yankees saw a better future in the marginal guys they kept. He is at a crossroads and fighting for a major league career.

Looks like his future is as a utility man.

Give him a long stay in AAA playing several positions and see if he wants to work his tail off to get back on track.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 04-07-2014 at 09:22 PM.

9. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (04-08-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    I don't get this move. am I over valuing Sulbaren? I like his potential far more than than the guy we got for him. From what I can tell this guy doesn't bring anything that we don't already have. In fact this with either block someone or force us to get rid of someone. Please someone save my brain from exploding and give me good reasons for this trade?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Someday they should acquire players that can both hit and play defense. SS will not be fixed in FA next year.......so still no answer for sometime.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    I don't get this move. am I over valuing Sulbaren? I like his potential far more than than the guy we got for him. From what I can tell this guy doesn't bring anything that we don't already have. In fact this with either block someone or force us to get rid of someone. Please someone save my brain from exploding and give me good reasons for this trade?
    The chances of Sulbaran becoming any good is pretty low, so at least we got a shortstop who can hit. According to someone else in this topic, Miguel showed up overweight, kinda signaling his possible decline.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wonder if it would have been better just to pick up one of the recent DFA guys from another org (Triunfel?).

14. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

blairpaul715 (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    The Twins need to continue to give Santana the regular play at SS in AAA. Nunez needs to get time at several positions including around the outfield. He is not a solution as a regular SS. It will take a lot more than Sulbaran to get a SS.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Wonder if it would have been better just to pick up one of the recent DFA guys from another org (Triunfel?).
    He was DFA'd. The Yankees had a 10 day window to trade him.

He is a better hitter than Triunfel and there was a reasonable chance that someone like the White Sox or Astros would have put in a claim since he did not have to go one the 25 man roster.

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Gardy in the Pioneer Press' Nunez story:

"We need (Florimon) to hit .240, .250. It can't be .200, .210, whatever," Gardenhire said. "We need more than that. The way he can pick it, it's a wonderful thing to have those two out there. But we're not in that area where we can leave a guy out there who just doesn't hit at all."

Pretty clear Nunez was acquired with an eye toward SS. Also pretty clear Florimon's not "just fine as a 9 hole hitter."
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

18. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-07-2014), PseudoSABR (04-08-2014), Tibs (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will say that I honestly think that overall Eduardo Escobar and even James Beresford are likely just as good if not better. Certainly both are leaps and bounds better defensively.

20. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dman (04-08-2014)

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Gardy in the Pioneer Press' Nunez story:
    Pretty clear Nunez was acquired with an eye toward SS. Also pretty clear Florimon's not "just fine as a 9 hole hitter."
    Promise?

The goal here is to go with an All-Eduardo middle infield. It is some kind of advanced metric thing.

23. These 2 users like Kirbek's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (04-08-2014), LaBombo (04-07-2014)

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I will say that I honestly think that overall Eduardo Escobar and even James Beresford are likely just as good if not better. Certainly both are leaps and bounds better defensively.
    That may be. But let's see EE and JB make some overall leaps and bounds before we anoint them superior SS candidates relative to EN or... whomevahr.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 04-08-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For some reason I thought Nuñez was older, but he is a bit younger than Florimon. As noted above, he's going to get a chance to play and if things shake out, he might become the regular shortstop. He would obviously be an upgrade over Florimon in the lineup, but his defense has won few admirers. Nuñez will be on the 40-man and Bartlett will do a rehab assignment. It sounds like he could be in Minnesota real soon. Hey I learned to type a tilde!

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Meh, that's about as much as I can muster .
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 04-08-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at his defensive numbers gets pretty depressing. The only position where he has had a positive UZR overall thought three seasons is LF. The more important the defensive position, the more in the red he goes. His hitting is not good enough to make up for his awful defense.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast