Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: How to best monitor/participate in game threads?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries

How to best monitor/participate in game threads?

Out of curiosity, how do folks here prefer to monitor and participate in game threads? I've tried during the season's first week, but it seems cumbersome -- I have to constantly manually refresh the page to look for new posts, if I make a new post I have to scroll back to read other posts I may have missed while typing/submitting (and when we all post after a particular event this happens a lot), sometimes I even have to jump back a page if my post went on a new page, etc.

Maybe this is part of the game thread experience (and it certainly is a more casual affair than regular forum threads), but this seems like the kind of thing that real-time chat would be good for? I saw Nick had a separate real-time chat for Friday, but that seemed like a very different thing from the game threads.

Not a big deal, and I probably shouldn't get sucked into this anyway (I waste enough time on the regular threads here!), just curious how others were participating.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Sometimes the easiest thing is to click back into the Minnesota Twins forum and then use the arrow to take you to the last post you'd read.

I've done both that and "refreshed" depending on how long it is between comments.

Refresh works best for shorter time periods and making it more of a conversation. Going out to the forum and then clicking on the down arrow next to the thread title works best if it has been awhile since I posted.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The paint is worn off of my F5 key, if that is of any guidance.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Settings > General Settings > Number of posts to show per page. Change to max. That helps.

edit: I'd add, that every live chat free for all I've ever participated in moved hopelessly fast. Way too fast for me to keep up, while also watching the game, esp. when you have 10-20 participants or more.

5. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-07-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,948 Times in 1,139 Posts
    I click the thread title at the top to refresh, then click on 'view first unread.' Unlike Willi's suggestion above, I keep the post-count per page to 20 in order to scroll to the top more quickly. <shrug> Just gotta try a bunch of different things to find what works best for you. And yeah, sometimes a lot goes by between posts, but sometimes you just have to post anyway because we're all in the same boat. But not being a computer savvy person, I'm not sure if there is a 'technical fix' to this. When Brock is back from drinking tons o' rum on vacation, maybe he can figure something out to make game threads a little less ... cumbersome?

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    I just post drivel every 30 seconds or so. No need to refresh that way.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

8. These 4 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (04-11-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (04-07-2014), snepp (04-07-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do folks here prefer to monitor and participate in game threads? I've tried during the season's first week, but it seems cumbersome -- I have to constantly manually refresh the page to look for new posts, if I make a new post I have to scroll back to read other posts I may have missed while typing/submitting (and when we all post after a particular event this happens a lot), sometimes I even have to jump back a page if my post went on a new page, etc.

Maybe this is part of the game thread experience (and it certainly is a more casual affair than regular forum threads), but this seems like the kind of thing that real-time chat would be good for? I saw Nick had a separate real-time chat for Friday, but that seemed like a very different thing from the game threads.

Not a big deal, and I probably shouldn't get sucked into this anyway (I waste enough time on the regular threads here!), just curious how others were participating.
    This is wasting time? Who knew!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    I'm with Chief, who cares about keeping up. Just post what you're thinking and if it makes no sense to the current conversation, you're right on track.

11. These 3 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (04-11-2014), snepp (04-07-2014), USAFChief (04-07-2014)