Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placement of 2013 Draft Picks

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Placement of 2013 Draft Picks

From KLaw's insider article:
    "Top-15 picks like Kohl Stewart (Twins/Cedar Rapids), Austin Meadows and Reese McGuire (both Pirates/West Virginia), Trey Ball (Red Sox/Greenville) and Dominic Smith (Mets/Savannah) will begin their year in low Class A, while other first-round picks like Clint Frazier (Indians), Nick Ciuffo (Rays) and Ian Clarkin (Yankees) will begin their years in extended spring training."

So, Stewart is right in line with his fellow draftmates. From the year before, Buxton is (for all realistic purposes) at AA. The Twins catch a lot of guff about moving prospects slowly, but it feels more and more like myth than fact.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    From KLaw's insider article:
    "Top-15 picks like Kohl Stewart (Twins/Cedar Rapids), Austin Meadows and Reese McGuire (both Pirates/West Virginia), Trey Ball (Red Sox/Greenville) and Dominic Smith (Mets/Savannah) will begin their year in low Class A, while other first-round picks like Clint Frazier (Indians), Nick Ciuffo (Rays) and Ian Clarkin (Yankees) will begin their years in extended spring training."

So, Stewart is right in line with his fellow draftmates. From the year before, Buxton is (for all realistic purposes) at AA. The Twins catch a lot of guff about moving prospects slowly, but it feels more and more like myth than fact.
    Part of the reason for the "Twins promote slowly" narrative is because, for many years, they had to stick with minor leaguers and not free agents to plug holes (Blackburn's rookie season he was 26, for instance). But they've generally had their better players up early.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 130 Times in 81 Posts
    The biggest reason for the myth is that most of the Twins early round prospects performed poorly or met expectations. There just aren't many cases of a prospect making a case of 'you need to promote me'. Arcia is an example of a prospect who did this and he flew through the system.

4. These 2 users like kab21's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-07-2014), PseudoSABR (04-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    The biggest reason for the myth is that most of the Twins early round prospects performed poorly or met expectations. There just aren't many cases of a prospect making a case of 'you need to promote me'. Arcia is an example of a prospect who did this and he flew through the system.
    That's a good point- a lot of top prospects weren't promoted quickly because they didn't deserve it, not because the Twins were being conservative.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Arcia is an example of a prospect who did this and he flew through the system.
    Likewise for Buxton (thus far), Gibson (pre-injury), Garza, and others who performed.

Where's the dissenting opinion that we hear so often?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Hey, I admit I was wrong before. The issue was that they were bad at drafting, not slow at promoting. Let's hope Buxton and Stewart go fast, because this team needs help, badly.
    Lighten up Francis....

8. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jay (04-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    I don't know that people were wrong about slow promotions, there just seems to be a shift in philosophy the last few years. Until Arcia came around I don't think any HS age draft pick was allowed to play less than a full year in the Midwest league.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I don't know that people were wrong about slow promotions, there just seems to be a shift in philosophy the last few years. Until Arcia came around I don't think any HS age draft pick was allowed to play less than a full year in the Midwest league.
    Hard to say. I can't think of any examples that produced at a level that really demanded to be promoted out of single-A earlier. Even if so, that is probably balanced out by the willingness to move guys quickly through double-A and even skip AAA completely that has existed for quite a while.

Blog Entries
    You probably have a valid point about a misperception among fans though.

I think it's fair to say a lot of people perceive the time progression of a prospect through each of the levels as equivalent. The Twins seem to execute that as more of a downward sloping line -- more time in the lower levels, less in the higher levels (where warranted).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    BP did a study of prospect promotions a few years back. The Twins were clearly on the conservative side, particularly with respect to pitchers.

Blog Entries
    Link?

Blog Entries
    Found it: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=13018

You could just as well use that data to show how it highlights the Twins poor drafts, that the college guys in particular from that window didn't advance as quickly as hoped, or that there was a focus on HS guys who need more MiLB ABs. Especially given the first point, this 5 year window doesn't prove much.

The lack of rookies entering the league from 2005-2009 and turning into impact players is a big part of how we ended up with 2011-present.
    Last edited by jay; 04-07-2014 at 02:11 PM.

15. This user likes jay's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 270 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Found it: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=13018

You could just as well use that data to show how it highlights the Twins poor drafts, that the college guys in particular from that window didn't advance as quickly as hoped, or that there was a focus on HS guys who need more MiLB ABs. Especially given the first point, this 5 year window doesn't prove much.

The lack of rookies entering the league from 2005-2009 and turning into impact players is a big part of how we ended up with 2011-present.
    I agree, this is a chicken and egg thing. With regard to Stewart and the comps, all those guys were drafted behind him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mark Appel is in high A
    Gray and Bryant are in AA.
    Its not really a fair comparison as those are college guys but interesting to note.

Bryant looks to be the class of this draft so far. Wow he can hit.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hhh
    Last edited by clutterheart; 04-07-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 370 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Mark Appel is in high A
    Gray and Bryant are in AA.
    Its not really a fair comparison as those are college guys but interesting to note.

Bryant looks to be the class of this draft so far. Wow he can hit.
    It's no comparison at all.

Those are Top 5 picks out of college (4 years of college in Appel's case). In theory, that puts Kohl Stewart about 2-3 levels ahead of their pace.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 370 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, it has to be a case-by-case things. There are, in all things baseball, no absolutes. Buxton and Stewart are being promoted quickly because they are Top 4, elite talents. late-first round picks are a step below. Someone like Gonsalves, if he as a fourth rounder were to get promoted to Cedar Rapids, that would be very fast.

Brian Gilbert, a 7th round pick last year out of college, is at Ft. Myers.

I think we worry way too much about this. The goal is to get them to the big leagues, not to get them there as fast as possible.

Think it would have been better if they had started Levi Michael in the Midwest League?I'm sure there are examples to show whatever.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The last couple of seasons the Twins have been more aggressive in both promoting and cutting players. I suspect that the change in Minor League Director had something to do with this.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    One other thing that is helping is the moved up signing deadline that lets draft picks get time in the year they were drafted. Huge help.

23. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Otwins (04-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's no comparison at all.

Those are Top 5 picks out of college (4 years of college in Appel's case). In theory, that puts Kohl Stewart about 2-3 levels ahead of their pace.
    Thats true but Eades and Slegers were I think only two of ten healthy college pitchers picked in the first five rounds that didn't even make it out of rookie league. Some teams appear to not even bother putting these types of pitchers in rookie ball at all.

Im not making any judgment about this strategy, but there are still comps available that indicate the Twins are still on the conversative side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast