Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 96

Thread: Chris Herrmann Promoted

  1. #41
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Colabello hasn't played much OF in his career. That would give us the best offense. I just don't know how the defense would do.
    In this scenario is Kubel DH? If so then it makes a ton more sense to play Kubel in the field and DH Cola.

  2. #42
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,509
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    The problem with Herrmann is that he can't hit. He's a below replacement level corner outfielder without a doubt. His only conceivable role is as a 25th man who can be the 3rd catcher and 5th outfielder. He may be the most overrated player in the organization at this point... it's just a strange phenomenon.

    If he starts a game in LF, he will be the worst player to start a MLB game in LF all year.
    Just to note... he's actually the 26th man on the roster and only up because of an injury. I don't know what people expect from him. Why are we expecting greatness? He's a backup, used in a role, when there is need. Backups get starts once in awhile too to keep fresh. There's no overrating. I don't think anyone's claiming greatness.

  3. #43
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,097
    Like
    614
    Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    With Arcia and Willingham unavailable, I would like to see
    Dozier 2b
    Mauer 1b
    Plouffe 3b
    Colabello DH
    Kubel RF
    Pinto C
    Hermann LF
    Hicks CF
    Florimon SS

    bench
    Arcia OF
    Willingham OF
    Escobar Inf
    Suzuki C

  4. #44
    Senior Member Triple-A Reider's Avatar
    Posts
    377
    Like
    224
    Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Congrats to Chris Herrmann, I'm happy for him.

  5. #45
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,509
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Outside of his ability to be a third catcher, how is Herrmann as versatile as Parmelee? And in what way is a third catcher not a waste of a roster spot for a dugout therapist to help Gardenhire cope with his phobia of catcher injury doomsday scenarios?
    Parmelee can play RF and 1B.
    Herrmann can play RF and 1B and 3B and LF and CF and Catcher.

    He's also on the 40 man roster. Parmelee isn't.

  6. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Don't Feed the Greed Guy (04-06-2014), JB_Iowa (04-07-2014)

  7. #46
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,834
    Like
    176
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Right move, probably overdue.

  8. #47
    Yes, good call!

  9. #48
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,042
    Like
    1,637
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I think some people are being a little hard on Herrmann. He has some decent seasons in the minors. He's only 26 which by Twins standards is young.

  10. #49
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,578
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Just to note... he's actually the 26th man on the roster and only up because of an injury. I don't know what people expect from him. Why are we expecting greatness? He's a backup, used in a role, when there is need. Backups get starts once in awhile too to keep fresh. There's no overrating. I don't think anyone's claiming greatness.
    Herrmann's not a great hitter, he's serviceable both behind the plate and in the corner outfield spots and he hits left handed. He reminds me of Chris Gimenez who has bounced around the league for some time now. Gimenez has more power, less contact and probably poorer defense. To say Herrmann can play first or third is unproven. He played first for a couple innings and to my knowledge hasn't played third since college.

  11. #50
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,733
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Herrmann's not a great hitter, he's serviceable both behind the plate and in the corner outfield spots and he hits left handed. He reminds me of Chris Gimenez who has bounced around the league for some time now. Gimenez has more power, less contact and probably poorer defense. To say Herrmann can play first or third is unproven. He played first for a couple innings and to my knowledge hasn't played third since college.
    1 minor league game at 3rd. Not qualified. And CF? 11 games in A+ ball, in 2010. Not qualified.

  12. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    cmathewson (04-07-2014), LaBombo (04-06-2014)

  13. #51
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    498
    Like
    2
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Herrmann's career AAA line: .227/.297/.312

    Herrmann's career MLB line: .189/.268/.297

    And he was only moderately above average in AA, and if you consider his age it really wasn't noteworthy at all. The guy can't hit... he will continue to prove this over and over as called upon.

  14. This user likes drivlikejehu's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    LaBombo (04-07-2014)

  15. #52
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,818
    Like
    1,642
    Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Parmelee can play RF and 1B.
    Herrmann can play RF and 1B and 3B and LF and CF and Catcher.

    He's also on the 40 man roster. Parmelee isn't.
    Yes! Parmelee can play RF and 1B.
    Herrmann has been used at RF and 1B and 3B and LF and CF and Catcher.

    There's a huge difference. Bartlett put on a clinic regarding that subject today.

    Also, you mentioned catcher in a way that made it sound like you believe having three catchers has value. Why?

  16. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (04-06-2014)

  17. #53
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,987
    Like
    103
    Liked 385 Times in 200 Posts
    Just another thread clearly showing the Twins should be using these spots for quality guys like DeRosa.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald


  18. #54
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,733
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Yes! Parmelee can play RF and 1B.
    Herrmann has been used at RF and 1B and 3B and LF and CF and Catcher.

    There's a huge difference. Bartlett put on a clinic regarding that subject today.

    Also, you mentioned catcher in a way that made it sound like you believe having three catchers has value. Why?
    just a hunch, but I'm guessing that Hermann ends up closer to Bartlett if there was a WAR measure strictly for versatility, than say:

    a Mike Aviles,
    let alone a Chris Parmelee,
    let alone a Emilio Bonifacio,
    let alone a Ben Zobrist.

    There are successive levels and thresholds that Hermann has yet to prove he's even close to or can even realistically aspire to....right now, he's below replacement value, on a versatility scale or any other measure of value, until proven different.

  19. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    LaBombo (04-07-2014)

  20. #55
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,993
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Herrmann's minor league time in the outfield absolutely shows him to be an above average-to-good corner OF, and he likely really could fill in in an emergency in CF. This gives them more options with Pinto right now, and that is good. I would imagine tomorrow's lineup to be:

    Dozier, 2B
    Mauer, 1B
    Colabello, DH
    Plouffe, 3B
    Pinto, C
    Kubel, RF
    Hicks, CF
    Herrmann, LF
    Florimon, SS

  21. #56
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,733
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Herrmann's minor league time in the outfield absolutely shows him to be an above average-to-good corner OF, and he likely really could fill in in an emergency in CF. This gives them more options with Pinto right now, and that is good. I would imagine tomorrow's lineup to be:

    Dozier, 2B
    Mauer, 1B
    Colabello, DH
    Plouffe, 3B
    Pinto, C
    Kubel, RF
    Hicks, CF
    Herrmann, LF
    Florimon, SS
    I like it, but Gardy's guy, Zuke, gets the home opener. Kubel moves up to the clean-up spot.

  22. #57
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,097
    Like
    614
    Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Herrmann's minor league time in the outfield absolutely shows him to be an above average-to-good corner OF, and he likely really could fill in in an emergency in CF.
    If I recall correctly, the Hermannator played a game or two at CF in relief of Clete last year

  23. #58
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,578
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    If I recall correctly, the Hermannator played a game or two at CF in relief of Clete last year
    BBRef says Herrmann played 21 games right, three in left. No games in center field.

  24. #59
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,097
    Like
    614
    Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    BBRef says Herrmann played 21 games right, three in left. No games in center field.
    I stand corrected. Regardless, I'm happy he's up, and the Twins have a back up outfielder/super utility guy who has proven ability to play the outfield. I don't care that he's a poor hitter, I was ok with Presley in the outfield 4th fielder guy who can't hit last year.

  25. #60
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves on his versatility. He's a decent corner outfielder who can catch, in a pinch. He cannot play infield. And he has no business in center. His hitting is fair to middling. All that said, I think he's a better option than Bartlett in the outfield and at the plate. But they actually complement one another, because Bartlett is still a pretty good infielder. And of course there's the whole lefty/righty thing.

    Still, the thought of both these guys on the bench makes me shudder. Neither will put fear in an opposing pitcher. Neither has enough speed to steal a base, though first to third and second to home are above average. Neither is a plus defender at any position. And we still don't have guy who can sub in center. I wonder what might have happened yesterday with Presley in left.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.