Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Herrmann Promoted

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    While that may be true, it does at least allow Pinto to pinch hit without the fear of losing the DH, does it not?
    If he chooses to, Gardy can play all 3 at once (Suzuki C, Pinto DH, Herm OF) as long as he's got someone else to play OF if Suzuki gets hurt. You onky lise your DH if you sub THAT player out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    If he chooses to, Gardy can play all 3 at once (Suzuki C, Pinto DH, Herm OF) as long as he's got someone else to play OF if Suzuki gets hurt. You onky lise your DH if you sub THAT player out.
    I'm aware of the rule, it was a rhetorical question, because Seth insisted he's not our 3rd catcher.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it is up in the air as to who would/will be sent down when Arcia is considered healthy. Herrmann could stay and Pinto could go, Herrmann could stay and Arcia could go or Herrmann could stay and Bartlett could go. Of course, if Herrmann is 0-10 or 1-20 and underwhelming as an defensive OF, it's easy to send him down. The Twins might want to send Arcia out for a short rehab assignment even if he's only out for two weeks because he never really got going in the regular season. The need is there for an outfielder and the lack of a backup to Hicks remains, but Herrmann does provide versatility.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I'm aware of the rule, it was a rhetorical question, because Seth insisted he's not our 3rd catcher.
    Obviously he is the third catcher by being on the roster, but he's most likely to start in LF if Arcia's on the DL and Willingham can't play. Once Willingham can play and until Arcia comes back, his value will again be in his versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Does Hermann play left field? Or do you move Kubel over and have Hermann play right? (Assuming that one of Hammer/Arcia is DL'd and the other 'day to day.')
    To me the most sense is colabello RF, kubel LF, Pinto DH.

6. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (04-06-2014)

Mr. Brooks cool it

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Hmm, 3rd catcher who can sorta play OF, or real OF who can also play CF? Ok since he's not on the 40-man, kind of a problem for Mastro.

9. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-06-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    That's probably the best offense right now, but man oh man, Cola in the OF last year was a bit, "adventuresome". I wouldn't mind Gardy trying it out, but at some point, aren't the pitchers going to stage an insurrection?

11. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Assuming Herrmann is coming up and Arcia is going to the DL, Herrmann is coming up as an Outfielder, not as a third catcher. Yes, he can catch, but the fact that he's a terrific defensive corner outfielder is why he's the guy coming up.
    Herrmann is a below average outfielder. I have vivid memories of horrendous botch jobs last year. Cola's no gem either, but this team needs offense. Don't let the first six games fool you. Herrmann provides no offense. To me he's nothing more than outfield insurance and allowing Pinto to DH.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is not going to hurt you out there, but he is not "terrific" either. I liked what I saw at the plate in ST. So he has a chance to add some offense. Also, when both Arcia and Willingham's are healthy, I hope he stays ahead of Bartlett. Gardy says Bart can play anywhere. But I saw him in the OF in spring and today and it wasn't pretty.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

If they really want to keep Bartlett that bad, how about demote Florimon and make Bartlett SS until the next guy is ready. I'm completely Florimon'd out.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I think it is up in the air as to who would/will be sent down when Arcia is considered healthy. Herrmann could stay and Pinto could go, Herrmann could stay and Arcia could go or Herrmann could stay and Bartlett could go. Of course, if Herrmann is 0-10 or 1-20 and underwhelming as an defensive OF, it's easy to send him down. The Twins might want to send Arcia out for a short rehab assignment even if he's only out for two weeks because he never really got going in the regular season. The need is there for an outfielder and the lack of a backup to Hicks remains, but Herrmann does provide versatility.
    I don't want to make it sound like an overreaction, but the announcement that Arcia is bothered in the same area of the wrist as he was last August and September could lead to revealing something worse than a sprain or bone bruise. I had a friend who had come-and-go pain after a wrist injury and play with it for four months, only to find out it was a broken bone that required surgery, a cast, and then out for 2 months. Probably undue caution on my part, but get this one nailed down 100% right away, guys. And it appears to be an all clear on Willingham, but ouch, that was a nasty sound when he got plunked.

16. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (04-07-2014), LaBombo (04-06-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    He is not going to hurt you out there, but he is not "terrific" either. I liked what I saw at the plate in ST. So he has a chance to add some offense. Also, when both Arcia and Willingham's are healthy, I hope he stays ahead of Bartlett. Gardy says Bart can play anywhere. But I saw him in the OF in spring and today and it wasn't pretty.
    Christy, Barty's ST OF had to be prettier than today's effort, right? Because no one would consider using him as a 4th OF if he had auditioned for the job playing at that level in ST, right? Today was nothing short of an embarrassment to the organization and unfair to Bartlett, for placing him in such a situation. It's a Godsent miracle that the Twins won the game, as they never would have heard the end of it had the score gone the other way.

18. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-06-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree Jokin. I don't think either Arcia or Willingham are all-clear. It happens to all teams that injuries are originally diagnosed as minor and then there are new diagnoses after the swelling subsides. Given the Twins luck lately, I wouldn't be surprised if both guys are out for some time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Colabello hasn't played much OF in his career. That would give us the best offense. I just don't know how the defense would do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Christy, Barty's ST OF had to be prettier than today's effort, right? Because no one would consider using him as a 4th OF if he had auditioned for the job playing at that level in ST, right? Today was nothing short of an embarrassment to the organization and unfair to Bartlett, for placing him in such a situation. It's a Godsent miracle that the Twins won the game, as they never would have heard the end of it had the score gone the other way.
    I saw some plays like that. The one play he made in center started out like that, but he made a nice recovery, diving at the end. I don't think you can just learn to play outfield at age 34 without ever having played it, especially after being away from the game for 18 months. From what I saw in Spring, Bartlett maybe belongs as a reserve infielder. But he has no business in the outfield as a big leaguer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    The problem with Herrmann is that he can't hit. He's a below replacement level corner outfielder without a doubt. His only conceivable role is as a 25th man who can be the 3rd catcher and 5th outfielder. He may be the most overrated player in the organization at this point... it's just a strange phenomenon.

If he starts a game in LF, he will be the worst player to start a MLB game in LF all year.

23. These 2 users like drivlikejehu's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-06-2014), LaBombo (04-06-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I agree Jokin. I don't think either Arcia or Willingham are all-clear. It happens to all teams that injuries are originally diagnosed as minor and then there are new diagnoses after the swelling subsides. Given the Twins luck lately, I wouldn't be surprised if both guys are out for some time.
    Wrists are the toughest things to diagnose. There are so many little bones and tendons and ligaments, it's tough to see anything conclusive in imaging. My hunch is, Arcia has a sprain. That should warrant a 15 day DL stint. Were it not for the Hammer contusion, they would have waited for the swelling to go down. But they can't be short two outfielders when the backup has played all of three major league innings in the outfield and he looked like Smalls prior to his first catch.

25. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-06-2014), LaBombo (04-06-2014)

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Obviously he is the third catcher by being on the roster, but he's most likely to start in LF if Arcia's on the DL and Willingham can't play. Once Willingham can play and until Arcia comes back, his value will again be in his versatility.
    Outside of his ability to be a third catcher, how is Herrmann as versatile as Parmelee? And in what way is a third catcher not a waste of a roster spot for a dugout therapist to help Gardenhire cope with his phobia of catcher injury doomsday scenarios?

27. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post

If he starts a game in LF, he will be the worst player to start a MLB game in LF all year.
    IF he starts a game in LF he might not even be the worst Twins player to start an MLB game in LF all MONTH
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

29. These 2 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (04-07-2014), LaBombo (04-06-2014)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast