Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to sign Stephen Drew

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    I would have loved for the Twins to sign Drew over the winter, but also think their opportunity to do so is probably lost. By January, it was obvious to him and everyone else the draft pick was holding his options down, and he could most likely have been had for a reasonable price just to get a three year deal. Now, He's two months away from being able to sign with any team without that team losing a draft pick, at which point the Twins are not going to be able to sign him.

I hate to say it, but to me it looks like an opportunity gone.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

2. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-07-2014), Winston Smith (04-11-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'm with USACHIEF.....it is likely not to happen now, but it should have happened in the offseason.

I'm torn.....
    Pro:
    They have the money, and it won't be spent better next year (go look at the list of FA)
    They have the need, and not much likely in AAA that will be as good

Con:
    It won't matter, they are still going to lose 85+ games
    It costs a pick, even though that player is likely to produce less career WAR than Drew is for the next three years

So, ya, I won't be upset either way now. They had a window to spend money and make the team better, and they choose to add $2-3MM in costs, while adding $25MM in revenue, with Willingham and KC coming off the books next year......and that window is closed for this year. So, whatever on FAs at this point.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I think both Drew's offense & defense are slightly overrated, he is still a massive upgrade over Florimon & Santana is likely atleast 2 years away & Ploanco/Goodrum likely 3 makin g a 2-3 year deal fairly optimal.

At this point though, I think a better plan of attack would be to let Escobar be the full time SS until May & evaluate how much of an upgrade Drew would be over Escobar. If Escobar is no better than Florimon then make the move on Drew after the draft.

Why sign him?
    It will give us a couple more wins and be more fun to watch. Not worth the money or the draft pick after watching this team for a couple weeks. If we are signing him for a few years, I may reconsider my opinion.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    A player signed after the start of the season won't be eligible for compensation.
    Not to mention the Twins are not carefree enough with their money to give him a $15 million QO next year. He wasn't worth it this year clearly, why would he be worth it next year?

He's a stopgap, not a solution. Save the pick unless he can pitch. This team's going nowhere with or without a SS who can hit at Fenway but nowhere else.

7. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (04-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. I think if a 'big team' wanted to sign Drew, it'd be done now. What's $12M vs $14M vs $16M if you're 'a big team'...nothing and the winning teams - draft pick compensation isn't that much of a big deal.

2. Signing Drew has to be for 2 years to get compensation AND we have to offer him the $14M+ for his age 34 season, of which, he'd likely gladly sign, and him not take it and someone else sign him 3 years younger than he is now for the same scenario he is in now. AKA...compensation is NOT happening after the fact for any team in signing Stephen Drew deal.

3. There's no reason to assume Drew would get more from a team after the June Draft pick deadline than now. SABR studies will tell you the obvious, a win is a win, whether it's in April or August. If "big teams" think Drew will provide some wins now, he'd be signed.

4. Twins are not a contender. He would not fix the eye-sore that is our current shortstop situation. Is he better sure, but he's not coming to the Twins for a 1 year or 2 year deal, unless that's the absolute last deal on the table. His camp is hoping for an injury from the contenders or big clubs, much like the Tigers experienced - but they were more than willing to try fliers on the "Nunez's" of MLB and AAA than pay Stephen Drew.

5. Hope Santana can play some defense...that's where we're at. And perhaps Polanco getting a cup of coffee at the end of the year...he's already on the 40-man roster.

Bleeeeccchh. Drew is a solid grade C player at the end of his prime.
    Bat? OK. Career OPS =.764
    Glove? I only know what I've read. Words like "average, solid, unspectacular."

There just isn't enough bat (or youth) there to be worth giving up defense or playing time (that can serve as an audition for a younger player.)

I'd rather watch Florimon field the position at grade A level and bat just .221 with 9 HR than watch Drew field it at a C level while hitting .253 with 13 HR while being paid so much that management won't remove him from the position when someone on the rise outplays him.

Are we seriously pining for Stephen Drew? Look at his bbref similarity scores list. Try to overcome the bright glare of stars like Pat Meares and Yuniesky Betancourt.

10. These 3 users like PopRiveter's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (04-10-2014), stringer bell (04-10-2014), twinsfan34 (04-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PopRiveter View Post

There just isn't enough bat (or youth) there to be worth giving up defense or playing time (that can serve as an audition for a younger player.)

I'd rather watch Florimon field the position at grade A level and bat just .221 with 9 HR than watch Drew field it at a C level while hitting .253 with 13 HR while being paid so much that management won't remove him from the position when someone on the rise outplays him.

Are we seriously pining for Stephen Drew? Look at his bbref similarity scores list. Try to overcome the bright glare of stars like Pat Meares and Yuniesky Betancourt.
    I took your advice and looked at the similarity scores on bbref.
    I found it convenient that you chose those two names, while leaving out the names that he's actually MORE similar to, including Alexei Ramirez, Asdrubal Cabrera, and by age, JJ Hardy and Ian Desmond.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I took your advice and looked at the similarity scores on bbref.
    I found it convenient that you chose those two names, while leaving out the names that he's actually MORE similar to, including Alexei Ramirez, Asdrubal Cabrera, and by age, JJ Hardy and Ian Desmond.
    Spot on, Mr B. If we're going to do comps to preclude someone from consideration, comprehensive comps are mandatory or an advocate is just misleading in his arguments.

Plus, Drew also has huge unrealized value as a rare LHB MI with a huge advantage against righties to pair in a platoon with. Platooning options should extend his productive career well into his 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by PopRiveter View Post

I think you are possibly underestimating the difference between Drew (.764) and Florimon (.588) offensively.

That's roughly twice the difference between Joe Mauer and Jason Kubel.

14. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-11-2014), Mr. Brooks (04-11-2014), snepp (04-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    SS has been a black hole since 2007 with the exception of the Hardy year and they've done nothing to fix it. I don't give a flying $%^ about the money and I'm tired of hearing about the draft pick. If he'll still sign here for more than one year, do it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    howeda7 - Do you mean to say Eduardo Nunez is nothing, please advise.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SS wasn't a strength for the Hardy year either. JJ only played 101 games, with 6 homers and a 96 OPS+. Certainly not a powerhouse. Too bad they didn't hold on to him another year, maybe it would have clicked here. Given their luck since 2010, probably not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Spot on, Mr B. If we're going to do comps to preclude someone from consideration, comprehensive comps are mandatory or an advocate is just misleading in his arguments.

Plus, Drew also has huge unrealized value as a rare LHB MI with a huge advantage against righties to pair in a platoon with. Platooning options should extend his productive career well into his 30s.
    I have a hard time seeing Ryan and company willing to pay $12 million over multiple years for a guy they know has to platoon to be effective.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Everybody is assuming that, if the Twins call, Drew will sign. In my opinion, anybody willing to wait out the market this long isn't looking to go to a last place club. If he is willing to sign, a one year deal does the Twins no good. Its got to be 2-3 or nothing.

20. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nicksaviking (04-11-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No one is paying him 12 mill. I'm sure the Twins are interested in the 5-7 mill range.

They have the $ but highest I would go is a 3 year 3/24. If he doesn't take it go with Escobar until a trade candidate comes available.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I have a hard time seeing Ryan and company willing to pay $12 million over multiple years for a guy they know has to platoon to be effective.
    They won't pay him regardless, but Drew is on the "good side" of the platoon. If they could get a RHB cheaply that also excels similarly against LHP, it would be well worth the extra expense as you'd have the highest production from SS in baseball. (Not counting Colorado which had an OPS of .862 in their mile high air, the next highest OPS was Wash. with .788, 3rd was the Red Sox and Drew, with .765- Drew has a career .795 OPS vs RHP).
    Last edited by jokin; 04-11-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    They won't pay him regardless, but Drew is on the "good side" of the platoon. If they could get a RHB cheaply that also excels similarly against LHP, it would be well worth the extra expense as you'd have the highest production from SS in baseball. (Not counting Colorado which had an OPS of .862 in their mile high air, the next highest OPS was Wash. with .788, 3rd was the Red Sox and Drew, with .765- Drew has a career .795 OPS vs RHP).
    I don't think his career OPS is how we should be evaluating Drew at this point though, he's clearly not the same player he was five years ago. Last year his OPS away from Fenway was .687 and the year before it was .657.

It's an upgrade, but not enough of one to make much of a difference.

He doesnt have to platoon to be effective. Particularly compared to current options. He doesnt hit as well against same side pitching. Big deal. You can say the same about roughly 98 percent of MLB hitters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think his career OPS is how we should be evaluating Drew at this point though, he's clearly not the same player he was five years ago. Last year his OPS away from Fenway was .687 and the year before it was .657.
    How is the predictive power of home/road splits working out for Phil Hughes? (I know, it's very early in the season, just had to say it)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast