Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bartlett... What not?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    That made me laugh...well played sir.
    Any Ponder crack is a good one, but that one was especially well played cmat!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hereby support any plan that removes Jason Bartlett from the outfield.

3. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

savvyspy (04-06-2014), Sconnie (04-06-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I'm beginning to believe the last few years have been a social experiment by the Twins to see just how god-awful a fielder they can run out to the corner OF and get away with it.

Between Doumit and Bartlett I'd have to imagine very few teams have run out worse the last few years. Someone tell me why the hell Parmelee isn't on this team?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 858 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'm beginning to believe the last few years have been a social experiment by the Twins to see just how god-awful a fielder they can run out to the corner OF and get away with it.

Between Doumit and Bartlett I'd have to imagine very few teams have run out worse the last few years. Someone tell me why the hell Parmelee isn't on this team?
    It's hard to make Josh Willingham look like a Gold Glove left-fielder by comparison to "Mr. 25th man team chemist" and the manager look ridiculous in just one afternoon, but the Twins "social experiment" just accomplished the impossible

Since this whole fiasco is pretty much owned by just one Twins decision-maker, I think Gardy used up all of his "Mr 1000 Wins!!" goodwill in less than 24 hours.

6. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Highabove (04-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It's hard to make Josh Willingham look like a Gold Glove left-fielder by comparison to "Mr. 25th man team chemist" and the manager look ridiculous in just one afternoon, but the Twins "social experiment" just accomplished the impossible

Since this whole fiasco is pretty much owned by just one Twins decision-maker, I think Gardy used up all of his "Mr 1000 Wins!!" goodwill in less than 24 hours.
    I dunno, if you'd believe Gardy tell it (in the post game presser) Bartlett played pretty well out there and just got an unlucky bounce of the wall, and some unlucky wind shifts on a few balls.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Twins will keep Bartlett around for a week or so and then, if he does not improve with the stick, will cut him loose. With both Arcia and Willingham day to day and potentially out, I would not be surprised if there is a move in the works to get another OF to MN. And if that happens Bartlett is toast, because none of the Redwings OF (and I am not talking about Rahl, he will not be the one up; one of Ramirez, Mastroianni and Parmelee is) are out of options.

Unless they think out of the box and pull a good one and get the only Outfielder on the 40 man roster with options up North while Arcia and/or Willingham are mending. He is better fielder than Bartlett at this point and his bat might even play better in the majors than Bartlett's these days. But that might be too much out of the box thinking for them.

For me Florimon is a bigger issue at this point and he needs to sit for Escobar for a while...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I dunno, if you'd believe Gardy tell it (in the post game presser) Bartlett played pretty well out there and just got an unlucky bounce of the wall, and some unlucky wind shifts on a few balls.
    I just watched the replay. The lead-in to the presser was a recorded tribute to Gardy from Ryan and Kelly to mark the 1000th win. In respect to today's outcome, Kelly got it right about Gardy's historical willingness in taking wild and crazy chances, but Ryan's tribute rang hollow regarding how much he respects the game and is driven to playing the game the right way. I didn't have a problem with most of the tenor of his exposition of the game, but regarding his thoughts on Bartlett's performance, well, that struck me as him feeling bad for putting someone in a position he had no business being.

10. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-06-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that the Twins will keep Bartlett around for a week or so and then, if he does not improve with the stick, will cut him loose. With both Arcia and Willingham day to day and potentially out, I would not be surprised if there is a move in the works to get another OF to MN. And if that happens Bartlett is toast, because none of the Redwings OF (and I am not talking about Rahl, he will not be the one up; one of Ramirez, Mastroianni and Parmelee is) are out of options.

Unless they think out of the box and pull a good one and get the only Outfielder on the 40 man roster with options up North while Arcia and/or Willingham are mending. He is better fielder than Bartlett at this point and his bat might even play better in the majors than Bartlett's these days. But that might be too much out of the box thinking for them.

For me Florimon is a bigger issue at this point and he needs to sit for Escobar for a while...
    It's been announced that Hermann is coming up. How about Kepler.....AND Polanco, as well, optioning Florimon back to Rochester? That's an outside the box, wild and crazy risk 2-fer.... it would definitely get my attention.

Senior Member All-Star
    I just watched the replay. The lead-in to the presser was a recorded tribute to Gardy from Ryan and Kelly to mark the 1000th win. In respect to today's outcome, Kelly got it right about Gardy's historical willingness in taking wild and crazy chances, but Ryan's tribute rang hollow regarding how much he respects the game and is driven to playing the game the right way. I didn't have a problem with most of the tenor of his exposition of the game, but regarding his thoughts on Bartlett's performance, well, that struck me as him feeling bad for putting someone in a position he had no business being.
    Yeah, that is a good point. I hadn't really thought about it that way.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Florimon is taking good at bats. He'll start getting his hits. Give him a few more weeks before giving the job to someone else. Escobar is next in line and then Bartlett. Bartlett belongs on the bench primarily. If he's starting at short at some time this year, things have not gone well. I'd rather call up Santana mid season if both Florimon and Escobar fail.

I suppose it depends on how you define failure. To me, what Florimon did last year is the floor. Anything below that for a sustained period constitutes failure in my book. But you have to give him a chance to fail. One week does not constitute a chance.
    I agree. And the positive about Florimon is that people thought he got off to a slow start defensively last year. This year he seems to be rock solid from the get go. He's catching balls in foul territory that get blown by the wind, he's turning double plays flawlessly, and his arm is as strong as ever. The offense is producing. 6 games in and fans are ready to replace him.

6 games.

As for Bartlett, he hasn't looked good offensively or defensively, but he's been out of the game for a while. Either you don't give him a chance or you give him a real opportunity. The Twins decided to give him a real opportunity (it wasn't my call). You don't give him a week, then cut him. At least give him a couple of months to see if he can get some rust off.
    Last edited by Reider; 04-06-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    The offense is producing. 6 games in and fans are ready to replace him.
    Six games in and the offense is producing at a level that it can't possibly sustain in a way that can make up for an offensive zero.

Six games and eight years in to Pedro Florimon's development, we know that he still can't hit, and very likely never will. His value is entirely defensive, and therefore fairly subjective and debatable.

15. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (04-10-2014), jokin (04-06-2014)

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Six games in and the offense is producing at a level that it can't possibly sustain in a way that can make up for an offensive zero.

Six games and eight years in to Pedro Florimon's development, we know that he still can't hit, and very likely never will. His value is entirely defensive, and therefore fairly subjective and debatable.
    I was just fine with JJ Hardy as our SS. I like what he brings to the table offensively.

17. This user likes Reider's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    RIOT ALERT: The internet tells me that Jason Bartlett is 5-12 lifetime vs Kazmir with 3 walks.

So Bark I hope this looks ok to you, my guess at a starting lineup for the opener:

4 Dozier
    3 Mauer
    DH Colabello
    5 Plouffe
    9 Kubel
    2 Pinto
    8 Hicks
    7 Herrmann
    6 Bartlett

I am ok with this. It gives Bartlett a redeeming opportunity. Willingham's injury allows everyone to move up a slot. It still doesn't inspire me to dream but it's not too bad with how most of these guys are swinging right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    I was just fine with JJ Hardy as our SS. I like what he brings to the table offensively.
    My fear is that Hardy's monumental offensive 2011 season aside, the franchise will thirst for his defense like water in the Sahara before their almost magical inability to have an actual functioning shortstop comes to an end.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post

Jason Bartlett is our best bet.
    Oh boy. Your take on Bartlett's ability is about as good as Gardy's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Jason Bartlett is our best bet.
    The fact that this notion is not easily disproved is entirely sufficient cause for Dave St. Bromeister to be fired...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Disagree with Plouffe being average. He's already cost one game with a throwing error that an average 3B is able to complete.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Disagree with Plouffe being average. He's already cost one game with a throwing error that an average 3B is able to complete.
    And Perkins cost us a game blowing a save that an average closer is able to close.
    They play 162 for a reason, this isnt football.
    In baseball even the best players will fail often.
    Plouffe isn't a great player, but at his salary he doesn't need to be, but come on, he can't be league average because he will make some errors?

24. These 2 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (04-10-2014), mike wants wins (04-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is my main issue with Gardy. He really does a lot of crazy things that don't show a lot of respect for playing the game the right way. Putting Punto in as a starter over and over at three different positions was the most blatant expression of this, to me. Punto showed no respect for playing the game "the right way" and Gardy never even tried to correct him, with the possible exception of sliding into first.

This Bartlett-in-the-outfield stuff is just another chapter of Gardy playing guys out of position, which shows a lack of respect for the game. It reminds me of the brief Punto in center field experiment. He had no idea how to read a slicing or hooking liner, which is an art that is learned through repetition. It is not a God-given tool. Just because a guy has good wheels and plays shortstop decently doesn't mean he can use any glove well.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

26. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (04-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    RE Plouffe, he's been below average his entire time at 3B and that error makes me believe we will see more of the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast