Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Pinto: Once around the rotation

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,530
    Like
    79
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31

    Pinto: Once around the rotation

    Pinto started 2 of 5 games at catcher. He did not DH. The was at least one opportunity to pinch hit not taken.

    It is hard to argue that he should be DHing over Colabello. That may change in a few weeks.

    If the plan is for Pinto to get two starts out of 5 at catcher, is that enough for now?

    Would it be better for him to be playing everyday in AAA?

    I think there is more to learn at catcher than any other position. Learning the league and the pitchers can happen at the major league level. Steinbach and the starting pitchers on the bench have a lot to offer.

    If the plan is for him to catch Gibson and Hughes, I think that will work for now. Any less and the Twins should send him down.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Would it be better for him to be playing everyday in AAA?
    No and No.

    a. He will not play every day at AAA. He will likely play 3/5 of the days. And he will likely end up playing 3/5 of the Twins' games by the end of the season

    b. If he does not catch MLB pitchers, he will not learn to catch MLB pitchers and call an MLB game. Lots of junk throwers at AAA and it is easy to put down the deuce as a catcher...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  3. These 3 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    cmathewson (04-05-2014), jorgenswest (04-05-2014), longstrangetrip (04-06-2014)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    As long as he's going through all the prep (opposing batters, etc) with Suzuki and soaking up knowledge, starting 2 of 5 games is just fine. In fact my only complaint so far is the 1 opportunity he had to pinch hit instead of Escobar in the White Sox series, and all things considered that is pretty minor.

  5. #4
    If you notice, the only 2 wins that the Twins have is with Josmil catching. I know, I am prejudice.

  6. This user likes Madre Dos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    twinsfan34 (04-06-2014)

  7. #5
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,821
    Like
    1,649
    Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    This is a franchise that stuck with Aaron Hicks as an everyday player for half a season after his awful April. If they want to be more cautious about bringing Pinto up to starter status, it would be interesting to hear them lay out the rationale. Offense being off the table, the defensive comparisons would be informative about many things.

  8. #6
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,228
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    If the plan is for him to catch Gibson and Hughes, I think that will work for now. Any less and the Twins should send him down.
    I'd hope as they cycle through the rotation he gets chances to catch all of the starters, as he prepares for heavier duty later in the season.

  9. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    I do think that Chris Herrmann should be up instead of Bartlett in order for Pinto to get more ABs. Other than that, I have no complaints.

  10. These 2 users like Shane Wahl's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Danchat (04-05-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (04-06-2014)

  11. #8
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,759
    Like
    882
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    No and No.

    a. He will not play every day at AAA. He will likely play 3/5 of the days. And he will likely end up playing 3/5 of the Twins' games by the end of the season

    b. If he does not catch MLB pitchers, he will not learn to catch MLB pitchers and call an MLB game. Lots of junk throwers at AAA and it is easy to put down the deuce as a catcher...
    He would likely CATCH 3/5 days in Rochester....And in a week's worth of 6-7 games in Rochester, he would be DHing at least 2 more times per week. I'm not saying that Pinto should be getting regular DH starts at the major league level at this point, but it's absurd not to be able to have him available daily as a pinch hitter and that he didn't enter the game as a DH for Bartlett in the 8th inning the other day. Can someone send a printout to Gardy of the mathematical odds of a pitcher having to bat more than once a season due to injury is practically infinitesimal? To dumb it down even more, just tell him, "as long as you hold emergency Catcher Escobar out when both Suzuki and Pinto are in the lineup at the same time, you've even got that infinitesimal thing covered."

  12. #9
    You have an emergency catcher. He won a few gold gloves and a silver slugger last season as a catcher. If the highly unlikely chance that pinto pinch hit late in a game and after that Suzuki got hurt. Mauer as a team leader should tell gardy I'm going in behind the plate to finish the game. Put someone else in to play 1b.

  13. This user likes minnymadness's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    cmathewson (04-06-2014)

  14. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    607
    Like
    103
    Liked 288 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    This is a franchise that stuck with Aaron Hicks as an everyday player for half a season after his awful April. If they want to be more cautious about bringing Pinto up to starter status, it would be interesting to hear them lay out the rationale. Offense being off the table, the defensive comparisons would be informative about many things.
    Their rationale for being more cautious? DOesn't your first sentence pretty much lay out their rationale for being more cautious?

  15. #11
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,821
    Like
    1,649
    Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Their rationale for being more cautious? DOesn't your first sentence pretty much lay out their rationale for being more cautious?
    It would if the franchise had not once again carefully and deliberately stripped itself of any strong alternative to Hicksie before the season started.

    In other words, Hicks had a dreadful 2013 and Pinto had a great one. So the Twins once again discarded the only realistic alternative to Hicks and made their most important off-season position player acquisition a nearly 30 year old catcher who historically can't hit water when falling out of a boat. In water.

    What was your question again?

  16. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (04-06-2014)

  17. #12
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,759
    Like
    882
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    It would if the franchise had not once again carefully and deliberately stripped itself of any strong alternative to Hicksie before the season started.

    In other words, Hicks had a dreadful 2013 and Pinto had a great one. So the Twins once again discarded the only realistic alternative to Hicks and made their most important off-season position player acquisition a nearly 30 year old catcher who historically can't hit water when falling out of a boat. In water.

    What was your question again?
    LOL. "Strong alternative" in CF? I'd settle for one with a modicum of major league mediocrity. For as much as the manager frets about not having the luxury of 3 catchers and 8 relief pitchers, having Jason Bartlett as #2 on the depth chart in CF should be even more hair-raising, both in the field and at the plate. How did the Twins not learn their lesson from "The Year of Clete" ?

    And now it's revealed that Arcia has the same wrist injury that he had late last summer, meaning the Twins are down to 3 actual and available OFers on the roster until at least mid-week- with the usual "day-to-day-while-we-wait-and-see-how-it-feels-and-go-from-there" routine, possibly leading all the way to potential extended DL time in the offing if things don't improve.

    How long would the Twins be willing to wait to make a roster move if it was Hicks instead of Arcia with the apparent day-to-day wrist situation? And the winner, by default, is the diminished Darrin Mastroiani, who also needs a roster spot BTW, and because of his health situation, has been reduced to "Year of Clete" level, if that.

  18. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    276
    Like
    19
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    This is really a stretch to find fault. I am disappointed in this particular thread. The Dh's have been raking (Kubal and Collabello) and suzuki has had one of the best weeks of his professional career. Maybe in a month or two this might....might....be a valid argument but after one week? C' mon be realistic. Give things time.

  19. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,530
    Like
    79
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    This is really a stretch to find fault. I am disappointed in this particular thread. The Dh's have been raking (Kubal and Collabello) and suzuki has had one of the best weeks of his professional career. Maybe in a month or two this might....might....be a valid argument but after one week? C' mon be realistic. Give things time.
    I am not reading it the same way.

    Ignoring the posts that have little to do with Pinto's playing time, I think that most have been OK with his early use and feel it is better than AAA. Starting 2 in 5 is OK for now. There was one missed pinch hitting opportunity.

  20. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    438
    Like
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I agree, it is too early to be overly concerned about Pinto's playing time. I also think however, that all this watching from the bench and learning from Steinbach is mostly baloney. The way he will learn to call a major league game is getting out and calling a major league game, making mistakes, and then going over them with the pitchers and Steinbach. I also think as a pretty young player, that he will need more than 2 games a week to keep him batting sharp. I might be wrong about that, however.

  21. This user likes Jim H's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    USAFChief (04-06-2014)

  22. #16
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,608
    Like
    3,682
    Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    If, soon, the ratio flips and Pinto is getting 3/5 starts behind the plate, along with a couple three DH starts per month, I'll be fine with that.

    If, by mid May or so he's still getting the short end of the ratio, I think they've probably made a mistake.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  23. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    LaBombo (04-06-2014), snepp (04-06-2014)

  24. #17
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,719
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    two of five is fine for now. My only issue is not PHing him when the need arises. Worrying about something that doesn't happen often, and would only effect 1 AB seems a bit over paranoid to me.
    Lighten up Francis....

  25. #18
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Pinto will soon earn his way into the lineup more often. It is up to him. For now, the guys taking his at bats (Suzuki, Colabello, Kubel) either at catcher or DH are doing fine. When Gardy uses Suzuki several days in a row and he goes 0 for those games, I will have cause to complain.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  26. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    498
    Like
    2
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Pinto should be the regular catcher. The Twins are rebuilding and need as much opportunity to develop and assess younger players as possible. Suzuki is irrelevant in the long-run and therefore using him more than Pinto is contrary to the club's long-term interests.

    Lots of small sample size fail in this thread as well.

  27. These 3 users like drivlikejehu's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (04-06-2014), LaBombo (04-06-2014), Mr. Brooks (04-06-2014)

  28. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Pinto should be the regular catcher. The Twins are rebuilding and need as much opportunity to develop and assess younger players as possible. Suzuki is irrelevant in the long-run and therefore using him more than Pinto is contrary to the club's long-term interests.

    Lots of small sample size fail in this thread as well.
    Tell that to Ron g and his 3-3 team!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.