Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Congratulations Ron Gardenhire, 1000 Wins

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,268 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Congrats for the milestone.

But wins mentioned by themselves only can be misleading. Charlie Hough has only 3 less wins (216) than Pedro Martinez (219.) Hough also lost 216 games, while Martinez lost 100. If you avoid the last sentence someone who does not know those pitchers would think that they are about equal.

Gardy has career 950 losses as well. He will likely reach the 1000 loss milestone this season too. So more like Hough than Pedro...
    Wow, Hough played in 432 MLB games where he factored into the decision......curious.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Wow, Hough played in 432 MLB games where he factored into the decision......curious.
    Hough pitched 858 games Before he was a starter with the Rangers he was the Dodgers closer and closers then pitched 2-3 innings. And as a starter in the 80s he was among the league leaders in IP and CGs (the knuckleball helps) and the Rangers were a club that can turn a game either way really fast
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    I thought the Twins did a great job with the honorary shirt they designed for Gardy...1000 wins, 67 ejections! I've always enjoyed Gardy's fiery nature and willingness to defend his guys...one of his better assets.

It got me thinking, though...I assume Gardy got credit for a win in those 67 games he didn't finish. Kind of questionable because the Twins were behind in some of those games at the time of ejection, and they came back to win under the direction of somebody else!

I wonder how many wins Cy Young would have had if he had been credited with a win for every winning game which he started, even if the team was behind at the time of his removal! Phil Hughes has to be fuming right now...under the "manager's wins" rules, he's 1-0 for the season!

4. This user likes longstrangetrip's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-06-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,268 Times in 679 Posts
    Hough pitched 858 games Before he was a starter with the Rangers he was the Dodgers closer and closers then pitched 2-3 innings. And as a starter in the 80s he was among the league leaders in IP and CGs (the knuckleball helps) and the Rangers were a club that can turn a game either way really fast
    I know, I watched him for years, he wasn't the pitcher of record in the rest of those games. But as long as your furthering the point, wow 858 games, that's a pretty darn good career!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Congrats to Mr. Gardenhire. It is a rare accomplishment indeed. He clearly does some things well, and I'm going to say "yay" for those things on this thread.
    Lighten up Francis....

7. These 3 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (04-06-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-06-2014), USAFChief (04-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    1001!

Hopefully he will be getting win 1100 mid April next year
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Not really. TK won 2 world series when he had good talent. Gardy went 1 and out in his post-seasons with good talented teams, including one that had both the MVP and Cy Young award winners.
    Except the time they didn't go one and done and made the ALCS against the Angels of course.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12