Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sean Gilmartin - 2014

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sean got another start on Friday going 6 scoreless innings giving up only 5 hits. He walked 2 while striking out 9 earning his fifth win of the season.
    Last edited by goulik; 06-01-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    This was in the TD June 5 minor league report:

"Gilmartin Shines, Again
    In a good old-fashioned pitchers duel, Sean Gilmartin led the Rock Cats with seven and a third innings of scoreless ball, with eight strikeouts and zero walks. (Are we fully on the Gilmartin bandwagon yet? He now has a 2.82 ERA, 68 strike outs and just 16 walks in 67 innings)."

Yes, Im on the bandwagon! We need a AAA promotion of Mays and or Meyers to make room for Sean in Rochester...Someone get it done! (Trade Correia and or Nolasco, Cut Pelf)
    Last edited by goulik; 06-08-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    In his latest outing, Sean gave up a lot of hits (11) in 5 innings of work. He limited the damage with only 4 runs by avoiding the homer, striking out 6 and not walking anyone. He got the win and in the end, wins and losses are all that matter right?

Blog Entries
    New Britain stat line:
    2014 Season
    W-L 7-3 ERA 3.13 G 12 GS 12 CG 0 ShO 0 SV 0 IP 72.0 H 76 R 30 ER 25 HR 2 BB 16 SO 74 GO/AO 0.73 Opp. BA .275
    on to Rochester...
    Last edited by goulik; 06-17-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    First AAA, 3.1 innings.
    Over the first two innings Sean scattered 3 singles. No blood no foul...
    Third inning started with a Bernier error followed by a strike out, wild pitch, and a sac fly advancing the runner to third. Not a problem until the home run. Yes, both unearned (Sac fly should have been third out) but just not looking good. He gave up another single before ending the inning.
    Fourth inning he got another out but another single showed he did not have it this day and Scott Diamond came in to pick him up. Not a great Rochester debut

Blog Entries
    Sean's second Rochester start was mediocre at best which with what he had been doing was disappointing to me. I mean, 5 innings, 3 runs isn't horrible but 5 hits including a homer with 2 walks is a whip over 1.0 and is not what we are used to this year. He did strike out 4 and it was only his second AAA start of the year. Hopefully he starts doing to AAA what he had been doing to AA batters.

Blog Entries
    I was tech free for the last ten days and Sean pitched twice while I was gone.

On Jun 27 he pitched 6 innings allowing 7 hits and 4 runs in a no decision. He walked two and struck out only one. At AA he struck out 74 in 72 innings but to that point at AAA, he had only 7 Ks in 15 innings.

On Jul 02 he made his 4th Rochester start of the year getting his first AAA win. He went 5 innings and gave up 5 hits and 3 runs. He walked 3 but also for the first time at AAA, He struck out more than 1 per inning with 6 Ks.

In his two partial AAA years with the braves he struck out 2 batters every 3 innings approximately. (Similar numbers at lower levels) With the 6 most recent Ks he is back at that AAA ratio. The aberration here appears to be this years AA strikeout ratio but this is a small sample size and we can still hope that his increased K rate will transfer yet... Fingers crossed
    Last edited by goulik; 07-05-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really like him as a depth move but right now i am not sure that I would place him above Kris Johnson or Logan Darnel at this point, two pitchers he will have to beat out to get to the show. i would be surprised if all three left handers are with the Twins organization next year. One could very well be paxkaged in a deadline deal

Blog Entries
    Sean has pitched twice since my last update going 12.2 innings of solid baseball. He allowed 6 runs as his relievers allowed two inherited runners to reach and Beresfords error allowed an unearned run. Can someone help my man out? He only K'd 8 batters to 4 walks.

July 7th Sean had a rough second inning which should have been completed with two earned runs on a grounder to Beresford but an error allowed the runner from third to score and the batter was thrown out trying to advance to second base. He then cruised until the 7th when he allowed a runner to reach and was relieved by Oliveros with one out. The wheels came off for Oliveros and he allowed that runner plus two more to score.

July 12th Sean went 6.1 innings allowing 2 runs with 3 Walks and 3 Ks. He gave up a run in the first but then cruised through 5 scoreless innings before being relieved with 2 on and one out in the 7th. The man on second eventually scored. Very solid appearance really.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I really like him as a depth move but right now i am not sure that I would place him above Kris Johnson or Logan Darnel at this point, two pitchers he will have to beat out to get to the show. i would be surprised if all three left handers are with the Twins organization next year. One could very well be paxkaged in a deadline deal
    Personally I am hoping one or two of the three are packaged with one or two of Correia/Suzuki/Willingham/Morales to sweeten the trades and improve the return

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12