Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Heated Observations: Game #2

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Confirmation bias at its finest (unless I misunderstand what confirmation bias means...which is totally possible)
    That's what you want 'confirmation bias' to mean...

2. This user likes Cris E's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-03-2014)

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Our "weak hitting" lineup did generate three earned runs on five hits off Sale over 7.1 innings. That won't happen every time he takes the mound (career 2.98 ERA). All the same, he was better than Nolasco, and that was the difference.

In game 2 it was the relievers (Perkins & Deduno) who blew it, although that "weak hitting" lineup did generate six runs over 11 innings.

Mauer (and Dozier) will come around.
    Even weak hitting lineups will string together hits from time to time and when they do it'd be nice to see the bullpen, the Twins supposed strength, take care of business because they might not see too many leads like that. I hear they're putting trees back in center at Target Field this year...really hope that's an aesthetic decision and not a strategic one.

4. This user likes troyhobbs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (04-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Cold weather affects grip. The chart shows Perkins threw fastball virtually every pitch. So I'm curious why Deduno was throwing curves at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by deanlambrecht View Post
    Last edited by deanlambrecht; Today at 11:47 AM. Reason: Trying, failing, to find "clapping" emoticon...
    :
    I'd slow clap this if I could find the emoticon

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    You mean his career OPS of .933 with RISP, compared to his overall career line of .872?

Or maybe you mean his career OPS of .988 with 2 out, RISP.

This is why we have statistics, folks. Observation is so often tainted by what one wants to see, not what actually happened.
    Reminds me of when a poster complained that Morneau always hit well early in games but then failed late in the clutch. Almost too mind boggling to argue with. Would he prefer that Morneau get 2 RBI in later innings to tie the game over failing in the late innings that was tied because Morneau got 2 RBI earlier in the game. Or did he think Morneau shoud be getting his RBI late in the game as well as early in the game putting his RBI total for the year around 200. Likewise with Mauer. If you think his .322 average is a result of getting a lot of hits that are meaningess do you think he should stop getting those meaningless hits in order to hit meaningful ones or do you really believe he has .450 ability but just chokes. Anyone who thinks he has always been a choker should look at what he did in September in three of the closest pennant races in baseball history ( 2006, 2008, 2009).

Member Single-A
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Cold weather affects grip. The chart shows Perkins threw fastball virtually every pitch. So I'm curious why Deduno was throwing curves at the end.
    Continuation question, with a runner on third and a notoriously wild and hard to catch Deduno on the hill, do you make a pitching change to an experienced reliever ......hmmmm

Which circles back to the original question: is Deduno a reliever at all? Well I suppose as an early inning guy in mop up duty, or a guy to be stretched out in the real late extra inning games like coming in for the 11th.

It's Gardenhire's job to know what he is....but Gardy hasn't been very good at his job for a few years now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12