Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Note to Twins.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Our arguments have entirely boiled down to whether the Twins are a 65-68 or a 70-73 win team.
    You said yourself it may just boil down to semantics, but in the over/under thread everyone is over on the win total, jokin posted pitching stats that everyone agreed with and were about as statistically bullish as can be reasonably held, Seth did the same with hitting projections, and I could go on. There have been multiple threads deriding "negativity."

Sorry, but I find it a bit odd that people are feigning this idea of "well of course they're bad...everyone knew that!" From the tenor of many posts here it would've been hard to glean that opinion.

Not that two games should confirm/affirm anything for anyone. We're a long way from that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 288 Times in 146 Posts
    Sometime later this season, the Twins will lose back to back games. In the first game, they'll struggle to score against a great starting pitcher. In the second game they'll score a bunch of runs, get a good start from the SP, and have the relievers blow it. Nobody will make a peep about the sky falling when this happens.

Seriously, it's one game that only seems important because it constitutes 1/2 the games this season. Relax. This thread is the epitome of sports fandom on the Internet

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,603 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if I commented about it in the thread but I thought Jokin's estimations were too high. My own estimations were 3-4 wins lower for the rotation, IIRC. He predicted a WAR around 8 while my own was in the 4-ish range, or roughly one win per starter (obviously, the top two guys would provide more, the lower two guys less).

A vast improvement over 2013, still not good. And somewhat offset by low expectations for the offense.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I don't know if I commented about it in the thread but I thought Jokin's estimations were too high. My own estimations were 3-4 wins lower for the rotation, IIRC. He predicted a WAR around 8 while my own was in the 4-ish range, or roughly one win per starter (obviously, the top two guys would provide more, the lower two guys less).

A vast improvement over 2013, still not good. And somewhat offset by low expectations for the offense.
    We'll certainly see. Hicks has looked so much better and Plouffe's opposite field hitting is a revelation that is shocking/encouraging too. (I'm not sure enough has been said about that. In two games I think he's gone opposite field more than all of last season. Didn't fact check that...but it feels right)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    This one just stung because it was the bullpen that gave the game up and that's probably our strongest part of the team. Don't blame Plouffe either, he didn't put that guy on 3rd base to begin with. You give Perk the ball with a 2 run lead, you feel pretty damn good about it. It just didn't work out.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,603 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Hicks has looked so much better
    In my opinion, easily the most important takeaway item from the first two games.

In my opinion, easily the most important takeaway item from the first two games.
    Amen!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 277 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Leviathan, So "all the optimism" means you thought Jokin's pitching projections and Seth's hitting projections were too high. Even though 90% of the people believe the team will be 3-5 games better, which puts them in line with where Vegas has them.

I think you are generalizing way too much. I commented on Jokin's comments that he was likely 10-20 basis points high on three of the pitchers. Brock said something similar. By no means was the site as a whole overly optimistic or unreasonable on much of anything.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 04-03-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    Better get used to it, boys and girls. It's not getting any better.
    So you're predicting a 0-162 season?

10. These 2 users like deanlambrecht's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

luckylager (04-03-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-03-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 42 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    I must have missed this one when I was playing in HS. Seemed like we practiced and played in snow plenty often.
    Well, you're both right as far as I'm concerned. The weather conditions are what they are and the Twins have to play in them. But also the season - with additional rounds of playoffs - has gotten stupidly long. Start in March end in near-November! Originally it was 154 (or then 162) and then a 7-game playoff of the best two teams and everyone went home. So you're both right.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Actually that was only a slightly better than average start for Correia. 6 innings, 3 runs, 2 earned. His ERA was only 4.18 last season. One run better than average.

You're not going to get 6 shutout innings from Correia very often, but this kind of performance is well within his reach to duplicate every other start or so.
    1.18 of ERA is only "slightly better"?
    You are basically saying that Yu Darvish was only "slightly better" than Correia last year.

Senior Member All-Star
    I guess what I've learned from the comments in this thread is you shouldn't have any opinions regarding one single game or one single event, because if you do you are overreacting and/or you think the sky is falling.

I guess you guys should probably just shut down Twins Daily until at least like the All Star Break so that we have a nice, large sample size before we have any discussions.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,307 Times in 704 Posts
    What I've learned is that some people feel 2 games might be a touch early to believe anything and that people's definition of bad is slightly different......

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    1.18 of ERA is only "slightly better"?
    You are basically saying that Yu Darvish was only "slightly better" than Correia last year.
    I meant this was only a slightly better than average start for Correia. 3 runs allowed in 6 innings equals a 4.5 ERA. 2 runs in 6 innings is 3. His ERA last season was 4.18, so somewhere between 2 and 3 runs allowed over 6 innings.

This was on the slightly better side of that average.

Here's another way of saying that his start was nothing out of the ordinary.

Last season Correia went 6 or more innings and gave up 2 or less runs 13 times in 31 starts, 42%, approaching half.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    I meant this was only a slightly better than average start for Correia. 3 runs allowed in 6 innings equals a 4.5 ERA. 2 runs in 6 innings is 3. His ERA last season was 4.18, so somewhere between 2 and 3 runs allowed over 6 innings.

This was on the slightly better side of that average.

Here's another way of saying that his start was nothing out of the ordinary.

Last season Correia went 6 or more innings and gave up 2 or less runs 13 times in 31 starts, 42%, approaching half.
    While that last sentence is true, I tend to think Correia vastly overacheived last year. I wouldn't expect to get this type of pitching performance out of him very often this year. Need to take advantage when you do.

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know this is a bad team, I expect a 70 win team, but I am optimistic.

i am hopeful that the pitching on this team will be much better than last year and it will keep this team in closer games.

i am hopeful that players like Pinto, Colabello, and Arcia improve their fielding and realize their batting potential, to become fixtures of the future Twins team.

i am hopeful that Gibson takes over and anchors this pitching staff, and becomes the opening day starter 2015 by earning it, not by being the free agent acquisition du jor.

i am hopeful that the front office makes successful value building trades for the future with the many of the players that are not a part of this future, making room for prospects like Meyer, Rosario, and Buxton to begin their big league careers.

I am optimistic that this team becomes younger, and is filled with rookie mistakes, all the while maturing and improving on the big league stage. I don't think optimism and predicting a bad team are oxymoronic.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    (Heavy sigh)

Come on guys. I truly love all of you. And I love to read all comments and opinions. It's why I'm on here to begin with, to share our mutual love and opinions for the Twins. Losing our second game with a lead and Perkins blowing it stinks! And I'm not happy about it in the least. And today we blew a lead but battled back and one, in another game played on the road and in terrible conditions. But we are ONLY three games in now.

I refuse to get too wrapped up in the positives or negatives of a handful of games, especially on the road in inclimate weather, but Colabello, Hicks and Pinto's homer today does put a smile on my face. And surprise, surprise, but Willingham and Kubel actually hit the ball.

Despite weather that is far worse than it was a week ago when ST was wrapping up, the calendar says its spring, baseball has started, and that makes all the world a little bit better.

19. These 2 users like DocBauer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

blairpaul715 (04-03-2014), Riverbrian (04-03-2014)

I know this is a bad team, I expect a 70 win team, but I am optimistic.

i am hopeful that the pitching on this team will be much better than last year and it will keep this team in closer games.

i am hopeful that players like Pinto, Colabello, and Arcia improve their fielding and realize their batting potential, to become fixtures of the future Twins team.

i am hopeful that Gibson takes over and anchors this pitching staff, and becomes the opening day starter 2015 by earning it, not by being the free agent acquisition du jor.

i am hopeful that the front office makes successful value building trades for the future with the many of the players that are not a part of this future, making room for prospects like Meyer, Rosario, and Buxton to begin their big league careers.

I am optimistic that this team becomes younger, and is filled with rookie mistakes, all the while maturing and improving on the big league stage. I don't think optimism and predicting a bad team are oxymoronic.

Enjoy your optimism Sconnie; it is a lot more refreshing than how this post began. I am certainly realistic enough to know that this year’s team is not a championship team…it’s all about the development of the prospects. I wouedl add Hicks to your list of hopefuls.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    It would be nice if we could have a thread without somebody blaming Gardy or team management from everything from players provided to management of the game to the post game spread. Everybody understands Gardy and management are not popular. So can we not bring it up on every thread....please? There is always the star tribune for that.
    I like to bi+ch when the team does horrible. It makes me feel better. Just like cheering when they have success makes me feel good. That does not mean that I don't understand two games does not make a season. It means I care and I expect a better product out of coaching and management. Both are underperforming. That's not opinion, it's fact. They truly are to blame.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    62-100 prediction, maybe then ownership has enough and brings in new leadership.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast