Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will possible Catcher of the future, ever play again?

Will possible Catcher of the future, ever play again?

Has the youngster, Kurt Suzuki grabbed the catching job by the throat and forced aging prospect, Josmil Pinto, to be a MiLB Catcher for the rest of his short career?

Gardy was quoted before today's game with this nugget.

"I just feel like the young guy should get his chances on this team, I mean we aren't very good, why sit around and give chances to guys who are older and not answers to the future of this team?" "I want to see what our young guys can do, that's why Kurt is going to be back there instead of Pinto."

I'm just having some fun. I am pleased with Suzuki's hot start, but if you think he is going to hit .500 you are crazy. I am not so happy that Pinto hasn't played yet, especially with a good PH opportunity on Monday. Hopefully he gets the start behind the dish tomorrow and a DH start on Friday.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe that Gardy said Pinto will catch Hughes tomorrow.

Though I don't know where the Twins will find offense without Suzuki in the lineup.

Bartlett will pinch run for Pinto in the 2nd inning and get Kurt's stick back in.

Forget it, Suzuki just doubled, I'm all in. Fill in the blank spaces, let's sign him long-term.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Maybe if Pinto catches Suzuki will DH.

6. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    It's a bit early to worry about Pinto's playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    It's a bit early to worry about Pinto's playing time.
    Is this similar to the statement "It's a bit early to worry about wins and losses?"

9. This user likes twinscowboysbulls's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ultima Ratio (04-02-2014)

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My wife is worried that she might get worried.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

11. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-03-2014)

I like you and that post.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    It will be hard to take 'zuke out of the lineup as long as he's hitting. He will cool off at some point then we'll see Pinto more.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    He will cool off at some point
    Catchers do not play long consecutive sequences of games regardless. Pinto will play. And if he makes use of the opportunities he gets, he will play more, and probably soon.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I'm ok with the playing time share being 2/3 Suzuki. I'm just hoping it stays around that percentage early on and transitioning to a flip of that by the end of the year.

16. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-02-2014), BigTrane (04-04-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Has the youngster, Kurt Suzuki grabbed the catching job by the throat and forced aging prospect, Josmil Pinto, to be a MiLB Catcher for the rest of his short career?

Gardy was quoted before today's game with this nugget.

"I just feel like the young guy should get his chances on this team, I mean we aren't very good, why sit around and give chances to guys who are older and not answers to the future of this team?" "I want to see what our young guys can do, that's why Kurt is going to be back there instead of Pinto."

I'm just having some fun. I am pleased with Suzuki's hot start, but if you think he is going to hit .500 you are crazy. I am not so happy that Pinto hasn't played yet, especially with a good PH opportunity on Monday. Hopefully he gets the start behind the dish tomorrow and a DH start on Friday.
    He had at least 3 good PH opportunities today for Florimon w/ RISP and one obvious one for Bartlett in the DH spot in the 8th.

If Escobar has any trade value I'd like to see what they can get for him. Herrmann has to be on this team.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is where Herrmann instead of Bartlett makes sense. Pinto could have been used in each of these games to pinch hit, but, given Gardenhire's terror of only having one catcher, it is rarely going to happen. It isn't like Herrmann would be any worse than Bartlett in CF for at most one game if something were to happen mid-game to Hicks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    He had at least 3 good PH opportunities today for Florimon w/ RISP and one obvious one for Bartlett in the DH spot in the 8th.
    Yeah, not pinch hitting for Bartlett was pretty inexcusable.

Basically, if we ever pinch-run for our DH, we should definitely PH Pinto if the spot comes up again and he's available on the bench. That way, you're not "burning through" Pinto -- he stays in the game, and if something happens to Suzuki, you just lose the DH (which is a much better outcome than having to use your emergency catcher).

Has anyone ever explained to Gardy that if both his catchers are in the lineup, and the one behind the plate gets hurt, that when the DH/pitcher spot comes up, he can pinch hit? This would allow him to get Bartlett an AB!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Catchers do not play long consecutive sequences of games regardless. Pinto will play. And if he makes use of the opportunities he gets, he will play more, and probably soon.
    With a 1/3 share of starts (which was speculated by our esteemed broadcasters recently), that opportunity is only 2 games per week. Playing only twice a week is essentially a bench spot / true backup catcher. And thus it qualifies as "jerking a player around" and messing with his hitting development and rhythm, far more than (for example) sitting Parmelee 2 games a week last year.

Hopefully Pinto is good enough to shine through this, but we're not exactly giving him a clear path here. I'd prefer a true 50-50 split, or better yet, Pinto getting 2/3 of the starts (either at C or DH).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    With a 1/3 share of starts (which was speculated by our esteemed broadcasters recently), that opportunity is only 2 games per week. Playing only twice a week is essentially a bench spot / true backup catcher. And thus it qualifies as "jerking a player around" and messing with his hitting development and rhythm, far more than (for example) sitting Parmelee 2 games a week last year.

Hopefully Pinto is good enough to shine through this, but we're not exactly giving him a clear path here. I'd prefer a true 50-50 split, or better yet, Pinto getting 2/3 of the starts (either at C or DH).
    This. Send him to Rochester and let him play every day. Its pretty clear already that Gardy won't let him pinch hit or DH so put him somewhere he can be the regular catcher. Its crazy to have a 25 year old valuable prospect riding the pine.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post

I think Pinto could learn a lot by being on the MLB roster. He can work with Suzuki, Steinbach, and Mauer to shore up his defensive issues. I have no problem with Suzuki getting the majority of starts early in the season while Pinto works on defense, gets the occasional start, and learns from veteran catchers.

But not playing him at DH to get his bat into a rhythm... It's just baffling.

For lack of another way to put it, it's really dumb. I don't understand why Gardy has such a problem with putting the second catcher at DH. It simply does not matter.

I give Gardy a pass for a lot of things but this one can't be ignored. It's too obvious a decision. I don't understand how an intelligent man (and I do not question that Gardy is intelligent) cannot see how the downside of losing a DH for a few innings a season (less than half a percentage point of innings played) is outweighed by the benefit of getting Josmil Pinto MLB at-bats on a regular basis.

*bangs face on desk until unconscious*

25. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (04-03-2014), Siehbiscuit (04-03-2014), snepp (04-03-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast