Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Game Thread: Twins @ White Sox, 3:10 p.m.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    De Aza already a 1 WAR player if he were in a Twins uniform, even if he didn't play for them.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Longest game thread of the year?
    Thanks to all who participated. It made a tough game easier to take.

Disappointing first game of the year. Typical issues for Minnesota makes me worry about this season more than I was before the game began.

Grading out game one:
    1- Nolasco- all things aside, lots of pitches up, lots of HARD hit balls. Not impressed.
    - Swarzak- nice outing. 96 on the gun apparently.
    - Thielbar- the little slurve he threw was nasty.
    - Fien - rocket up the middle but can't complain
    2- Suzuki- thought he looked good behind plate, thought he could've went and talked to Nolasco a bit more. Great 2 out hitting. w/o him we lose 5-0
    3- Mauer - looked like a mediocre ballplayer today. offensively and defensively.
    4- Dozier - Great D, absolutely terrible offensively.
    5- Plouffe - had a double, but 2 terrible at-bats and a couple ugly plays at 3rd.
    6- Florimon- solid sac bunt, very nice game defensively.
    -Escobar - very very poor at-bat. Not sure how he was first man up to pinch hit there with two much better hitters on the bench..
    7- Willingham - need offense from him, didn't get any. Good Defensive game.
    8- Hicks- could've possibly saved a run, but played solid D, hit cut-off. Good RH day.
    9- Arcia - could've saved a run for sure. Swing just a little off. Chased a ball to end game.
    DH- Collabello - 2 good at-bats, 2 poor at-bats. Thought Kubel should've DEFINITELY pinch-hit for hin in 9th, but he came up big.
    Gardy- Poor managing job. Not sure why you don't at least have them review Mauer's close play at 1st in the 6th. Not sure why after everything you have seen in the game let Escobar hit for Florimon instead of Pinto. Not sure why you let Colabello hit in 9th, even though it worked out. What is the point of having a versatile bench if you don't use them correctly?

Overall, very disappointing first game. We even got 3 off of Sale and couldn't manage to win this one. Only true bright spot was Hicks. Suzuki is bittersweet because it just gives Gardy more reason to keep the young catcher, who needs to play, on the bench.

*** EDIT**** Tim Laudner just gave Nolasco a "B-,B" grade for 6 innings, 5 ER, 10 hits, 2 BB, 4 K, 2 HR. This is the level Twins Baseball is at. Extremely low expectations.
    Last edited by twinscowboysbulls; 03-31-2014 at 06:09 PM.

4. These 3 users like twinscowboysbulls's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Highabove (03-31-2014), LaBombo (03-31-2014), notoriousgod71 (03-31-2014)

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    Unbelievable bad luck for Nolasco! Maybe two or three well hit balls. Everything just seems to find a place to fall.
    Just what we need, another *unlucky starter.

*guys who seem to only pitch on days the other team scores a lot of runs.

(hat tip to Tim McCarver)
    ((had to miss opening day... ))
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

6. These 4 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-31-2014), glunn (03-31-2014), LaBombo (03-31-2014), snepp (03-31-2014)

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    to heck with the results.... THE FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON HAS BEEN PLAYED !! ... 161 more games to enjoy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Is this the last we see of 500????

Any predictions on Wednesday lineup? Same lineup?

Hopefully:
    2B: Dozier
    C : Suzuki (not going to say otherwise, because it doesn't matter)
    1B: Mauer
    LF: Willingham
    RF: Arcia
    DH: Pinto
    3B: Plouffe
    SS: Florimon
    CF: Hicks( I'd bump him down to 9th against RHP, especially since LH hitting is Florimon's "GOOD" side)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Any predictions on Wednesday lineup? Same lineup?

Hopefully:
    2B: Dozier
    C : Suzuki (not going to say otherwise, because it doesn't matter)
    1B: Mauer
    LF: Willingham
    RF: Arcia
    CF: Hicks( I'd bump him down to 9th against RHP, especially since LH hitting is Florimon's "GOOD" side)
    No way Kubel doesn't DH against Paulino

Then there is NO WAY Pinto should be in the Majors. (Unless you are referring to some extreme split Kubel has against him) Pinto needs to play. This doesn't do him a whole lot of good. If Pinto contributes to a 90 loss team and we find out if we have a future catcher, then fine. If Kubel, Collabello and Suzuki are main contributors as DH/C for 90 loss team and we still don't know about Pinto, then what a waste of a season.

Because lord knows Gardy isn't giving Suzuki the day off after today's performance.

AND YES, I am going to spaz out like this after one game, two games, three games. Because as we all know, 1 game does matter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Then there is NO WAY Pinto should be in the Majors. (Unless you are referring to some extreme split Kubel has against him) Pinto needs to play. This doesn't do him a whole lot of good. If Pinto contributes to a 90 loss team and we find out if we have a future catcher, then fine. If Kubel, Collabello and Suzuki are main contributors as DH/C for 90 loss team and we still don't know about Pinto, then what a waste of a season.

Because lord knows Gardy isn't giving Suzuki the day off after today's performance.
    I'm not saying I want Kubel to DH...I'd like to see Pinto in the lineup everyday. But it was painful for Gardy to not start his boy Kubes today (even had to justify it by saying Sales was "filthy"), so he's a lock for Wednesday against the righty.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yup. And since Florimon's big weapon is the bunt, might as well let him move the slow guys over and let Hicks potentially lead off an inning ahead of the top of the order instead of in front of Florimon.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    Can't expect more playing the high powered White Sox!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Yup. And since Florimon's big weapon is the bunt, might as well let him move the slow guys over and let Hicks potentially lead off an inning ahead of the top of the order instead of in front of Florimon.
    Yes and potentially bat RH instead of LH, or potentially get one less at-bat as a LH hitter. It's no secret that he swings pretty well from the Right side. We will see if he has made a little progress on Wednesday from the left side. Gardy will not do this btw.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Is this the last we see of 500????
    I'm an eternal optimist, but I was wondering the same thing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By the way, nice start for Hicks. If he can hit remotely like that from the left side and stays in CF all year, I will be happy.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    WE WON! WE WON! Wait. No. I'm sorry, I was confused. But, "If you had fun, you won" so I guess we, as baseball fans, won. Nolasco didn't look like a 48 million dollar man and Kurt's Motorcycle Shop managed a set of 2-out RBI's from the 2-spot. I don't support a man with a career .280 OBP hitting number 2, but it worked out for Gardy today. Hey, we had baseball today. Baseball that mattered. Or maybe nothing in 2014 matters for the Twins, but hey, BASEBALL!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    De Aza already a 1 WAR player if he were in a Twins uniform, even if he didn't play for them.
    I wonder who provided more in-game and post-game "clubhouse chemistry" and dugout leadership today? De Aza's performance today added insult to the Twins (self-inflicted) injury when they settled for the Jasons instead of trading for or signing a real 4th OF and a more reliable stick. You kind of put it all in perspective Bombo, the Jasons have a fighting chance NOT to reach 1 WAR combined in 162 games.

20. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-31-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Well Hicks looked good at the plate....yay!

22. These 3 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-31-2014), LaBombo (03-31-2014), snepp (03-31-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    By the way, nice start for Hicks. If he can hit remotely like that from the left side and stays in CF all year, I will be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well Hicks looked good at the plate....yay!
    I think he will hit "remotely" like that left-handed, and the Twins have even less options to turn to in CF than last year, so yeah, he's "stayin'". Gotta help his confidence though, for the first time in his major league career, his Hit total is ahead of his K total (2-1). And it took him 6 games to get his 2nd hit a year ago. With Quintana pitching for the Sox on Thursday, Hicks could maybe already be up to half of his entire hit total for last April (8). I am hoping that Carew has taught him well on how to bunt from the left side and convinced him to try it at least once per game, or else he seems destined to be around the Mendoza line from that side for the forseeable future.

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alskntwnsfn View Post
    I do NOT support people wearing Nascar jackets in public (outside of actual Nascar events), unless they are black or navy. I can deal with that, but seriously, when was the last time you saw a Nascar jacket that didn't involve a fluorescent color scheme?
    I know I'm way late on this, but I support NASCAR fans wearing jackets, especially this guy:

hairy.jpg

25. These 2 users like gil4's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-01-2014), LaBombo (03-31-2014)

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast