Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: 14 Twins Predictions for '14

14 Twins Predictions for '14

1. Joe Mauer plays 155 games and has 80 XBH

2. Byron Buxton doesn't come close to getting called up.

3. Ron Gardenhire gets axed during season. Paul Molitor takes over.

4. Brian Duensing and Jared Burton stink up the place.

5. Brian Dozier proves he can stick at 2B glove-wise and stick-wise.

6. Aaron Hicks shows he is only a RH Hitter. Strong D and good RH stick prove he is very capable as platoon partner/4th OF/def replacement/PR

7. Danny Santana replaces everyone else as Twins starting SS.

8. Kyle Gibson falters, bullpen move begins to become topic of conversation.

9. Phil Hughes is best FA pitcher of offseason. Helped by large TF outfield and better team medical staff.

10. Oswaldo Arcia hits 30 home runs and strikes out 150 times.

11. Josmil Pinto doesn't hit well. Shows his ceiling is as a solid backup catcher nothing more.

12. Alex Meyer arrives. Has a very solid debut, excites fan base for next year.

13. Max Kepler rises to brink of MLB debut, becomes highly touted prospect.

14. Twins end with 72 wins. Their final season ending with less than 81 wins in many years to come.
    Last edited by twinscowboysbulls; 03-31-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post

6. Aaron Hicks shows he is only a RH Hitter. Strong D and good RH stick prove he is very capable as platoon partner/4th OF/def replacement/PR

9. Phil Hughes is best FA pitcher of offseason. Helped by large TF outfield and better team medical staff.

11. Josmil Pinto doesn't hit well. Shows his ceiling is as a solid backup catcher nothing more.

14. Twins end with 72 wins. Their final season ending with less than 81 wins in many years to come.
    I can't see those 2 happening together. Most would consider 72 wins a decent season considering I think.

So you agree with my other 12 predictions, well thank you!

I think it's entirely possible Gardy is axed during season. Say he gets canned in July. They call up some younger guys who can help some and they win a bunch near end of year. It's possible, considering our schedule in the first month of the season is brutal, without looking, could that mean our last month is fairly easy SOS wise?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    If they didn't can Gardy in the offseason, I don't think they'll can him now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    If they didn't can Gardy in the offseason, I don't think they'll can him now.
    He will only get canned if the team doesn't show improvement.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries

I completely agree on 1, 9, 12, and 14. Sans the comment about the medical staff which I think you meant as a joke.

I don't see Gardy getting fired mid-season. We don't strike me as a team that would do that save a complete mutiny in the club house.

The others can go either way, I certainly would rather see many not happen, like 2, 6 and 8. I think Buxton is up in September. I find myself to be much more optimistic and not panicking over Gibson and Hicks (than most on these boards). 13 seems a bit aggressive.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 03-31-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was enjoying your post, but then I got to # 11.

Now I'm sad.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts

#1 seems very unrealistic. Even if Mauer manages 155 games, 80 XBH is an incredible total. Are you thinking Mauer will hit 40 doubles and 40 homeruns or 60/20? Will he suddenly hit 15 triples? I would take 60 XBH out of Mauer and call it a success.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    If I were to bet on one of the 14, it would be #4.

Just gut feeling.

New Career High in Games: 155 (146)* none of which at position of strain
    New Career High in Doubles: 50 (43)
    Ties Career High in Triples: 4
    HR: 25

Audible to 79 XBH.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    New Career High in Games: 155 (146)* none of which at position of strain
    New Career High in Doubles: 50 (43)
    Ties Career High in Triples: 4
    HR: 25

Audible to 79 XBH.

80 maybe a stretch, but he hit 59 XBH while missing April in 2009. I could see 50 2B and 20 HR. He is going to play more and those foul balls off his hands/arms and knees from the crouch had to worn on him as the seasons progressed.

Liked 1,680 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNutz View Post
    I can't see those 2 happening together. Most would consider 72 wins a decent season considering I think.
    Since WWII, Tom Kelly is the only non-expansion team manager to have 4 consecutive 90+ loss seasons and retain his job, and he had two rings. Only a couple of non-exp. franchises brought back the manager after 3 such seasons, and they lost more than 90 again.

So nearly 70 years of history tells us Gardy would already be out in any other organization in MLB. If he loses 90 again and keeps his job again, the conversation should probably be narrowed to whether the Twins are loyal to a fault, terrified of change, or some of both.

RE: Mauer, totally on board with 80 XBH being a possibility, but would be interested to know when you project the trade to take place, and what the Red Sox would have to give up to get him.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-31-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I projected Kyle Gibson to be an ace, and it's projected here that he'll get demoted to the bullpen. Those are two very different predictions.
    I'm very disappointed with your Pinto predictions. The kid has hit at every level so why not in the MLB?

Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    I projected Kyle Gibson to be an ace, and it's projected here that he'll get demoted to the bullpen. Those are two very different predictions.
    I'm very disappointed with your Pinto predictions. The kid has hit at every level so why not in the MLB?
    Stupid answer is that the best pitchers pitch in the major leagues, not in the minor leagues. However, my answer is mostly a gut instinct. I think he will hit for a little bit of power, which isn't bad, but I don't think he will hit enough or play enough defense to to be the guy. Especially considering we are going to let him sit on the bench way to much this year to give him a chance to develop.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know whether Burton or Duensing will "stink up the place". I don't expect both to be doing so in Minnesota. Along with Willingham, those two guys are easily the most likely to be traded. I'm not on board the Danny Santana bus. The kid has to show that he can hit and play major league defense.