Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: What Happened to the Optimism?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: What Happened to the Optimism?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that 96 on top of 99+96 breads negativity (as it should, unless one is apathetic).

Ryan with open pockets, helped alleviate that partially, but the closest it was coming to the Spring Training and the realization that as far as bats go, the Twins are (practically) replacing Morneau with Suzuki and Doumit with the ghost of Kubel's past settled, that open pocket hope faded. And for a good reason.

Still, as every spring I was optimistic and thought that they will be a .500 team. Until I went there. And, frankly, this 2014 team has worse attitude and energy compared to the last 3 seasons' teams. And this reality really hit me hard.

Call it "negativity" as much as you want. I call it reality. And if there is anything "negative" about this team, is the ones who are dragging it down. And this is not the fans who are unhappy about their team being horrible (again.) It is the people in the team who are paid to win and who do not care about winning and the ones in the team who are apathetic about it and feel that it is ok, as long as the receipts are ok and the team is back in black.

That is "negativity"; I cannot call negativity wanting to see a World Series parade again down University Avenue and vocally disliking the fact that it might not be in the cards again for a while...

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, you may be right about the timeline being pushed back a year, but I'm not sure. I don't really think Buxton's timeline will be affected by his wrist injury IF the diagnosis we've heard is accurate (that's a huge, IF, I know). Sano's deal is a bigger thing, I know.

Honestly, my pessimism for 2014 started much earlier than the events you noted. My pessimism started when it became obvious the Twins were doing nothing to upgrade their offense this year. That decision told me the organization had no intention of trying to be more competitive this season, despite the initial moves to upgrade pitching. It was clear the FO was not serious about trying to win this season and that was very disappointing.

4. This user likes Jim Crikket's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-31-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My concern started with the things you mentioned above and continued when I began to realize we still dont have a true leadoff hitter, number 2 hitter, and the clean up hitter had 3 hits in the entire spring. Put that together with Gardy's lineups and were in trouble. I cant wait to see how laughable these lineups look.
    I was also looking forward to possibly competing next year, but that seems to be getting pushed back yet another year.

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    I was actually doing pretty well with my optimism level until "Double Jason" became clear. For some reason, adding BOTH of them to the 25-man just made me lose it. As though this team and this management are stuck somewhere in the past and we will never escape.

And yes, I get it that as a factual matter, it may not make much difference but for me, it feels like a giant rut, devoid of innovation.

7. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-31-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    I don't see it as "pessimism" to expect the most probable outcome. That's realism.

The bigger issue is that, even putting aside the various prospect setbacks, having a highly-rated farm system doesn't guarantee anything. At this point, optimism is just a substitute for confidence, because there is no objective reason to have any.

9. These 5 users like drivlikejehu's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-30-2014), mike wants wins (03-31-2014), TheLeviathan (03-30-2014), UCLA_YANKEE_COLA (04-02-2014), USAFChief (03-30-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    I don't see it as "pessimism" to expect the most probable outcome. That's realism.

The bigger issue is that, even putting aside the various prospect setbacks, having a highly-rated farm system doesn't guarantee anything. At this point, optimism is just a substitute for confidence, because there is no objective reason to have any.
    I want to double like your post if I could, this is precisely it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am looking forward to the season. I am not sure what to expect, but I believe this team will be better than many believe, given a reasonable amount of good health. The pitching will be OK, especially compared to the last few seasons. The offense may find itself when they aren't behind 4 to 0 in the 2nd inning, game after game. Arcia, Plouffe, Dozier, Pinto, and Hicks could/should be better this year. There is no need to expect the worst possible outcome, yet.

Seth is probably right, the setbacks to Sano, Rosario, and even Buxton have probably killed a bit of the enthusiam for the Twins this year. What I want to see is some progress in the young players that will be in the majors this year and also some large progress with the hopefully very talented minor leaguers who could help in a year or two or three.

Most of us are all pretty disappointed that at least one solid bat wasn't brought on board. I actually feel sorry for the young man that will be drafted in the 2nd round this year. Because how he does will create a lot of debate about the Twins not being willing to give up that pick. Honestly, I didn't feel like this was the year the Twins would make a big jump anyway. But with the addition of Hughes and Nolasco there was a longer term fit to go with the young upcoming pitchers guys like Meyer and May. So I do give the Twins FO credit for that. We needed that longer term fit for an offensive player too. Now after watching this offense in Spring Training, that is when the despair for a long long season set in. No other word for it, except bad. When you have that many player go 3 or 4 for 40 something it doesn't inspire optimisn. Most likely 90+ losses again. But we can always hope that Willingham isn't washed up and the Spring was an aberration. That Hicks will make the Torii Hunter type leap in abililty this year, that Plouffe hits 25 HR without striking out every third at bat, that Gardy has enough sense not to play Kubel against lefties, that Colabello hits 20 HR's and bats .275 and Escobar gets more at bats then Floriman at Short, and Pinto is not riding the pine and wasting his bat in favor of Suzuki. Just to many wings on a prayer here to be competitive. I just have to add that I am hoping Eddie Rosario is in some kind of treatment and will someday use his immense talent. What a shame if he throws it all away.

My head nearly exploded when I heard Bartlett made the team. What the heck are they thinking! They need to overhaul the roster with young players who want to win. Our lineup is slow, power and contact lacking, and void of any care about winning. I sure hope Hicks, Pinto, and Arcia have a good year or I can see myself stop watching games by June 1st when we are 15 games behind Detroit.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    I don't actually remember seeing a whole lot of optimism. For myself, I just want to watch some baseball. Preferably good baseball but that remains to be seen.

15. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (03-30-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I don't actually remember seeing a whole lot of optimism. For myself, I just want to watch some baseball. Preferably good baseball but that remains to be seen.
    Maybe not Optimism, but there was at least some excitement about who we would get to see as the season went along.

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I was actually doing pretty well with my optimism level until "Double Jason" became clear. For some reason, adding BOTH of them to the 25-man just made me lose it. As though this team and this management are stuck somewhere in the past and we will never escape.

And yes, I get it that as a factual matter, it may not make much difference but for me, it feels like a giant rut, devoid of innovation.
    "double jason" .....got me too

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    But, tomorrow is day one and we are in the race.....so I am now as optimistic, as I can be

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    The Sano news really put a damper on what I was looking forward to following this season.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

20. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Pius Jefferson (03-30-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't call it optimism lost, but the pessimism gained. Pessimism has grown steadily this spring. All the factors you list are in there. I continue to think the main reason is spring training stats. The fact that none of the regulars had a great camp made people think they won't have a good year. Last year, we had Hicks to root for. This year, Hicks' spring was almost as good as last year, but it was easy to discount it because it didn't translate into the regular season last year. After Hicks, the line-up was mostly poor this spring. What people forget is that a lot of veterans take it easy in the spring and turn it up when the season starts. That's why I am withholding pessimism until after the first week of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

So what were the options?
    1B – Mauer
    2B – Set w/Dozier and Rosario soon.
    3B – No way anyone is brought in w/Sano so near.
    Catcher – Salty & AJ wanted to be elsewhere. Were we going to outbid the Yankees for McCann?
    CF – Not going to make a long-term commitment given we have the top prospect in all of baseball a year away.
    OF – You have to give Arcia a chance. Should we have taken a chance on Cruz on a one year deal and given up the draft pick? Should we have committed 4 years to Granderson?
    Choo or Ellsbury would have been absolute incompetence.
    SS – Obviously this one has been argued to death here. I can accept both sides of this argument. However, this team changes very little even with Drew. He would have been signed long ago if he were a difference maker. It would appear the talent evaluators around the league don’t think he is worth a draft pick.

Is it hard to fix a team through free agency if you are not the Yankees, Dodgers, etc? Is the management of the Astros and Cubs apathetic? Incompetent? Why haven’t they turned those teams around? It is really easy to talk smak from the sidelines.

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    What people forget is that a lot of veterans take it easy in the spring and turn it up when the season starts.
    That may be true but when I look at regulars on other teams in our division, the discrepancy between last season and 2014 Spring Training just isn't that great. In fact, a lot of them have ST numbers that are generally better than their full season numbers from 2013.

I wonder if this is a truism that is becoming less and less true as players train year 'round.

Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    In my case, optimism was in short supply after another 90 loss season anyway. It got better with the signing of Nolasco, as I let myself think the Twins would make an honest effort to be better in 2014. That optimism faded with the subsequent signings, which went from bad to worse, IMO, and did little to help this team win baseball games.

For me the Sano injury had little to do with it, as I don't plan on minor leaguers being part of the solution until they are. IMO those already penciling in Buxton as the next Willie Mays aren't being realistic. If it happens, great. Planning on it happening, and letting it influence moves now, is a recipe for what we see on the field.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

25. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (03-30-2014), JB_Iowa (03-30-2014), Ultima Ratio (03-31-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yet, as this season opens, there is a lot of negativity surrounding the Twins, even more than the last couple of seasons. So, what happened?
    I dunno seth. When the FO complains at the end of the Spring training that none of the players they counted on were "stepping up" and Gardy openly wonders where offense will come from, it seems the team itself isn't optimistic.

Twins spent a lot of money on the pitching staff. But those pitchers have an OF defense that will be the worst in baseball and if the FO and gardy are to be believed, we could have a stagnant offense.

Top five pick again I think. But it will be fun to follow the Minors

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast