Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Article: Twins Final Cuts: Much Ado About (Almost) Nothing

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77

    Article: Twins Final Cuts: Much Ado About (Almost) Nothing

    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,052
    Like
    1,659
    Liked 491 Times in 287 Posts
    What about Chris Herrmann?

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,273
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Berardino is reporting that Michael Tonkin is in Chicago, in anticipation of a roster tweak. Could the Twins be trading a reliever for an outfielder?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,536
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Brian Duensing's wife is having a baby, so Tonkin is in Chicago for a few days (paternity leave).

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Good stuff JC. And I really wish that the biggest of the Twins' problems were who was going to be the last man on their bench...

    A little nit picking:

    Kyle Gibson, Sam Deduno, Josmil Pinto, Oswaldo Arcia and Aaron Hicks may all be part of the next great Twins teams
    Quick: Identify the one who does not belong with the others in that list. Hint: He will be 31 this July.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  6. #6
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,679
    Like
    951
    Liked 1,314 Times in 709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Good stuff JC. And I really wish that the biggest of the Twins' problems were who was going to be the last man on their bench...

    A little nit picking:



    Quick: Identify the one who does not belong with the others in that list. Hint: He will be 31 this July.
    Yes, Deduno is certainly a wildcard in there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Brian Duensing's wife is having a baby, so Tonkin is in Chicago for a few days (paternity leave).
    The real question is how much trade value Duensing's new baby will have.

  8. These 4 users like Joe A. Preusser's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    70charger (04-01-2014), glunn (03-30-2014), snepp (03-30-2014), USAFChief (03-30-2014)

  9. #8
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,229
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    The real question is how much trade value Duensing's new baby will have.
    Or if he/she can play short. Congrats to the Duensings, and to Tonkin as well, even if his is short-lived.

  10. #9
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,369
    Like
    1,324
    Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Factually, it is much ado about (almost) nothing.

    Symbolically, it is representative of the uninspired course that this organization has been following for (more) than the past three years.

    How many teams seek to change "team chemistry" through the 25th man on their roster? Teams change team chemistry by changing the leadership of the organization -- the GM and/or the manager. And then they may make some additions or deletions to the roster that contribute to a change in chemistry.

    Will Bartlett (or Kubel) for that matter make or break this team? No. But it just demonstrates that the "old boys club" atmosphere is still in place in Minnesota. Same old, same old.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 03-30-2014 at 02:16 PM.

  11. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Kwak (03-30-2014), USAFChief (03-30-2014)

  12. #10
    My issue with decisions that have been made is Gardy's reluctance to take steps that would improve the punch of this team. An example would be having a platoon in right field. Does anyone truly think that Arcia is going to light it up vs. left-handed pitching? And if he does occasionally use a right-handed bat in that situation, is it going to be Bartlett? Really? Therein lies the frustration of a Twins fan. I truly would be happy if the Twins could finish .500 this season and be able to put up a fight and be competitive in the 81 games that they lose. I get the idea of saying, "Let's wait for Buxton and Sano and Meyer." The problem is every team makes that statement about their top-tier farmhands. Weren't we hearing that same thing last year about Arcia? He would be the guy that would put us over the top. So far Arcia has looked like an average- to below-average right fielder with a slow-pitch softball swing. Hope I'm wrong is all I can say. And I'm not happy that Gardy was resigned. Please feel free to point out where I am wrong. I could use the encouragement.

  13. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Good stuff JC. And I really wish that the biggest of the Twins' problems were who was going to be the last man on their bench...

    A little nit picking:



    Quick: Identify the one who does not belong with the others in that list. Hint: He will be 31 this July.
    Thats a fair nit to pick, Thrylos, but I do believe Deduno COULD be part of the next wave of competitive Twins teams, where I can't say the same of Parmelee and Presley. That was my point and I'll own it, despite Deduno's age.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by lukingood View Post
    My issue with decisions that have been made is Gardy's reluctance to take steps that would improve the punch of this team. An example would be having a platoon in right field. Does anyone truly think that Arcia is going to light it up vs. left-handed pitching? And if he does occasionally use a right-handed bat in that situation, is it going to be Bartlett? Really? Therein lies the frustration of a Twins fan. I truly would be happy if the Twins could finish .500 this season and be able to put up a fight and be competitive in the 81 games that they lose. I get the idea of saying, "Let's wait for Buxton and Sano and Meyer." The problem is every team makes that statement about their top-tier farmhands. Weren't we hearing that same thing last year about Arcia? He would be the guy that would put us over the top. So far Arcia has looked like an average- to below-average right fielder with a slow-pitch softball swing. Hope I'm wrong is all I can say. And I'm not happy that Gardy was resigned.



    Please feel free to point out where I am wrong. I could use the encouragement.
    Exactly and well said !!!

  15. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    207
    Like
    8
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lukingood View Post
    My issue with decisions that have been made is Gardy's reluctance to take steps that would improve the punch of this team. An example would be having a platoon in right field. Does anyone truly think that Arcia is going to light it up vs. left-handed pitching? And if he does occasionally use a right-handed bat in that situation, is it going to be Bartlett? Really? Therein lies the frustration of a Twins fan. I truly would be happy if the Twins could finish .500 this season and be able to put up a fight and be competitive in the 81 games that they lose. I get the idea of saying, "Let's wait for Buxton and Sano and Meyer." The problem is every team makes that statement about their top-tier farmhands. Weren't we hearing that same thing last year about Arcia? He would be the guy that would put us over the top. So far Arcia has looked like an average- to below-average right fielder with a slow-pitch softball swing. Hope I'm wrong is all I can say. And I'm not happy that Gardy was resigned. Please feel free to point out where I am wrong. I could use the encouragement.
    Why platoon Arcia so early in his career? Let him get the at bats and after a season or two then platoon him if there's a noticeable difference.

  16. #14
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    129
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the clean up hitter hitting .050 is a much bigger concern than Bartlett and Kubel making the club.

  17. #15
    As to why platoon Arcia so early, I think the Twins management too often is looking out to the future instead of looking to win today. Billy Beane has certainly used platooning in Oakland to the betterment of the franchise. Also, I may be wrong, but with that huge uppercut swing that Arcia uses, I have serious doubts about his ability to handle left-handed pitching.

  18. #16
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    207
    Like
    8
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lukingood View Post
    As to why platoon Arcia so early, I think the Twins management too often is looking out to the future instead of looking to win today. Billy Beane has certainly used platooning in Oakland to the betterment of the franchise. Also, I may be wrong, but with that huge uppercut swing that Arcia uses, I have serious doubts about his ability to handle left-handed pitching.
    I just looked it up, he hit 5 points BETTER from the left handed side last season.
    Last edited by diehardtwinsfan; 03-30-2014 at 06:09 PM.

  19. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Im with drock. I'm hoping Arcia is in the heart of the order for the next few years and he wont learn to hit lefties sitting on the bench. I also dont believe many, if any, were claiming "let's wait for Arcia" a year ago. Nobody was expecting him to be able to single handedly turn the team around.

    I want to see a more competitive team this year, too, but it will be a development year, theres just no way around that.

    Rochester looks loaded for bear and I won't be surprised to see a much different and more interesting team in Minnesota in July than they have in April.
    Last edited by Jim Crikket; 03-30-2014 at 03:04 PM.

  20. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Thats a fair nit to pick, Thrylos, but I do believe Deduno COULD be part of the next wave of competitive Twins teams, where I can't say the same of Parmelee and Presley. That was my point and I'll own it, despite Deduno's age.
    I'm with you, JC. WHile I don't think that Deduno will be part of that starting rotation, age 31 is not old for a reliever, He could well have 5 or 6 years left, maybe even more, and great teams have relievers with filthy stuff.

  21. #19
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,089
    Like
    1,822
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Platoon Kubel, perfectly fine. Platoon Arcia? It's way too soon to permanently pigeon-hole him. You're not winning much this season, now is the perfect time to give him every last look possible as major league lefties.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  22. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    diehardtwinsfan (03-30-2014)

  23. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,052
    Like
    1,659
    Liked 491 Times in 287 Posts
    Cricket, what I read from the article is that much ado was given on the final spring training cuts based on universally poor spring training performances. You didn't mention Chris Herrmann - how would you measure his youth, position flexibility, and actually pretty good spring training performance against the decision to go with guys like Kubel, Colabello, or Bartlett. I ask because I was pulling for Herrmann.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.