Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Souhan: Mauer/Puckett

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    So, undeniably, the best franchise player is the one who (for some weird, unfortunate and disturbing reason) does not have a statue outside Target Field...

FWIW, JOhnson has a statute at the Nationals' ballpark. DC has had a few franchises here, and the focus is on guys who played here regardless of which franchise it was. I don't know of any reason why having a statue in DC would preclude one in Mpls, but I can certainly imagine Twins' mgmt deciding that they were going to focus on guys that played in MN and exclude those who have no real ties to the area.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Jdosen, I don't get the sense anyone here is blaming Mauer for anything. Maybe at the Strib comments section but not so much here. Which is not to say people don't take unwarranted shots at either Mauer or Puckett from time to time. It happens but it's something I'm sure professional athletes learn to live with.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    You seem to have a lot of inside info. Do you work for the twins?
    Actually Puckett, Hrbek, Gladden and others were pretty famous for their party ways, you do not have to be a Twins insider to be aware of it. Gladden is pretty open about it on broadcasts, not giving details usually, but the general behavior of team in the clubhouse and post game antics.

I am not sure that any of that should have much to do with judging a player as a player. The only thing I ever wondered about that group of players is if they would of perhaps trained as hard as they partied, if it would have lengthened some of their careers or kept them healthier during them.

I think Mauer is a great player. I hope moving to 1B will keep him healthier and maybe we see more consistent production and just more games from him. Comparing him to Puckett, well they are entirely different players. They were and are both great, that is all I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Yes to all of this. He was the life of the party, and that clubhouse was a perpetual party that spilled out into the clubs after everyone was dressed. He and Gladden were the leaders. But Hrbek and G-Man were right in there, at least until Gaetti found Jesus.
    Yes, of course he was the life of the party; what I meant was that after Puckett was being pilloried by the national media (some of it deserved), it seems that none of his teammates came out and said, "Yeah, he was just out for himself," "It was all an act," "Selfish guy," "It was just the media guys who liked him." And that includes the Christian guys, Harper, Gags, etc.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Longdistancetwins View Post
    Yes, of course he was the life of the party; what I meant was that after Puckett was being pilloried by the national media (some of it deserved), it seems that none of his teammates came out and said, "Yeah, he was just out for himself," "It was all an act," "Selfish guy," "It was just the media guys who liked him." And that includes the Christian guys, Harper, Gags, etc.
    The Christians are the last people who I would expect this from. You know the thing about judge not lest you be judged? Many of the others expressed concern for him after he retired and gained 100 pounds. But that was born out of love. The other thing is, there is an unwritten rule that what happens in the clubhouse (and the clubs) stays there.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    There was a quote in the companion article that symbolizes why in my mind Joe Mauer has lost his connection with many fans. He and his wife dined at a restaurant and afterwords his server tweeted “Just served Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins! He gave me a fat tip!". After this type of positive, joyful response from a fan I could imagine Kirby having responded like this when asked about it:

Facial Expression – Big smile and a laugh
    Quote – “Aw man, that’s hilarious! She deserved every cent of the tip, she was busting her rear covering half the restaurant.”

Here is how I would have hoped Joe had handled it:

Facial Expression – Shy smile
    Quote – “That’s cool, she was a nice lady and did a good job.”

And here is how he actually responded:

Facial Expression – Rolled eyes
    Quote - “Glad I left enough, I guess, you never know who’s watching.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/253068271.html

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    There was a quote in the companion article that symbolizes why in my mind Joe Mauer has lost his connection with many fans. He and his wife dined at a restaurant and afterwords his server tweeted “Just served Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins! He gave me a fat tip!". After this type of positive, joyful response from a fan I could imagine Kirby having responded like this when asked about it:

Quote – “Aw man, that’s hilarious! She deserved every cent of the tip, she was busting her rear covering half the restaurant.”

That's life in the era of Twitter and Google Glass. Everything is a special event, even when it's not. Ubiquitous Paparazzi.

Let's not forget hitting styles. Puck had that slow pitch softball mentality of "swing at everything", "never saw a pitch I didn't like". Joe is boring, methodical, and robot-like. End results are the same, though. Drives me nuts when people rip on Joe. The guy is one of the best hitters of all time, and after he retires, and a 270 hitter replaces him, the same people ripping him will talk about how great he was.

The Mauer haterade is infuriating and soooo misplaced if one has any understanding of the game. He is a typical Minnesota kid in action and mannerism except he has godly baseball talent.

When Bill James re-writes the Historical Abstract I would guess That Mauer finds himself somewhere between 5-8 of ALL TIME and maybe the purest hitting catcher ever. You realize how rare it is for a catcher to win an AL batting title? and actually be a pretty good defensive catcher.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BHtwins View Post
    You realize how rare it is for a catcher to win an AL batting title?
    Excluding Mauer, that number would be:

Uh... Carry the one... Move the decimal...

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 149 Posts

I kind of like that he was honest with the answer and did not go with some half-hearted response. I am sure the 24/7 amateur paparazzi is a bit tiring, and I think he esp. likes to keep his wife and kids in stealth mode. I am also not sure the constant social media following you whereever you are outside your home would have been a postive for Kirby.

Besides, I think his reaction was pretty low-key. Plus, I think he still gets a fair amount of fan interaction. It is not like he has completely shut himself away from the fans by just going to expensive restaurants or only going out with some sort of posse.

FWIW, I really enjoyed the article. Great work Mr. Souhan!

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries

His tipping habits? And people wonder why the clubhouse is so quiet.

I wonder how different Kirby's perception would be now if twitter had been around and people could scrutinize every little non-baseball related thing he did.

Tell you what. Maybe the answer to the clubhouse woes is just to kick the damn media out of it so the players can focus on baseball.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 03-31-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    The Christians are the last people who I would expect this from. You know the thing about judge not lest you be judged? Many of the others expressed concern for him after he retired and gained 100 pounds. But that was born out of love. The other thing is, there is an unwritten rule that what happens in the clubhouse (and the clubs) stays there.
    Exactly. I saw plenty of Kirby when he was at that state coming to what was a Northwest Athletic Club in Edina, and he always had a former Twin with him it seemed, often Gladden, but you saw a number of players attempting to support him (along with his entourage of security and "friends"). This was during and after everything blew up in the press, so it's not as if he was Mr. Popular in the public eye, but his teammates were attempting to support him in a pursuit of better health before he succumbed to the damage he'd done to his body.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Jdosen, I don't get the sense anyone here is blaming Mauer for anything. Maybe at the Strib comments section but not so much here. Which is not to say people don't take unwarranted shots at either Mauer or Puckett from time to time. It happens but it's something I'm sure professional athletes learn to live with.
    I wasn't speaking of the posters here per se, but the general rube comments I seem to hear when I'm out and about.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Quote Originally Posted by jimv2 View Post
    FWIW, JOhnson has a statute at the Nationals' ballpark. DC has had a few franchises here, and the focus is on guys who played here regardless of which franchise it was. I don't know of any reason why having a statue in DC would preclude one in Mpls, but I can certainly imagine Twins' mgmt deciding that they were going to focus on guys that played in MN and exclude those who have no real ties to the area.

Washington having a statue of someone who isn't part of the teams history is more ridiculous than the Twins not having one. What I'd like to see is a plaque with the name of the great Senators, acknowledging the franchise history in Washington.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Great rumor story I heard about Puckett and his decision to resign with the Twins and not take the Boston offer was that one day he saw a dad with his little girl. The dad noticed a Twins logo and asked his daughter something along the lines of "Look theres the Twins." In which she replied "Dad that's Kirby Puckett."

I don't know if there is any truth to that story, but judging by his popularity at the time, and how little kids seemed to just identify with the guy; it wouldn't surprise me if that happened everyday.

Mauer, even being a great player and definite face of the franchise right now, doesn't seem to have that great connection with kids like the big teddy bear Puckett.
    Last edited by LC34; 04-01-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LC34 View Post
    Great rumor story I heard about Puckett and his decision to resign with the Twins and not take the Boston offer was that one day he saw a dad with his little girl. The dad noticed a Twins logo and asked his daughter something along the lines of "Look theres the Twins." In which she replied "Dad that's Kirby Puckett."

I don't know if there is any truth to that story, but judging by his popularity at the time, and how little kids seemed to just identify with the guy; it wouldn't surprise me if that happened everyday.

Mauer, even being a great player and definite face of the franchise right now, doesn't seem to have that great connection with kids like the big teddy bear Puckett.
    My daughters and nephews think of the Twins as Joe Mauer and Everyone Else. Ok, the youngest daughter thought Casilla was cute, but she wanted a Mauer jersey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12