Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lots of Twins Minor League Transactions

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lots of Twins Minor League Transactions

The Twins minor league travel staff has been busy.

As I mentioned on Twitter on Saturday, the Twins promoted to Deolis Guerra from New Britain to Rochester. THere was quite the trickle-down effect as well:

BJ Hermsen and Caleb Thielbar were promoted from Ft. Myers to New Britain.

Danny Ortiz, Nelvin Fuentes and Madison Boer have been promoted from Beloit to Ft. Myers.

Drew Leachman and David Hurlbut were promoted from Extended Spring Training to the Beloit Snappers.

(Those that have adopted any of these players should be making notes in their Adopt-a-Prospect forums.)

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Good for Danny Ortiz! He was too old for the Midwest league, hope this puts him back on the prospect map.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll be very interested to see how Hermsen fares in New Britain. He's been very successful despite a lack of swing-and-miss stuff up to this point; the upper levels will be a good test. Also good to see Boer on the fast track, though his lack of whiffs in Beloit this year was a bit perturbing. Hopefully just a SSS fluke.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very glad to see Guerra moving up to AAA. Hopefully he can continue to be successful as a reliever.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

I also heard Matt Parker is no longer with the Twins Organization.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Ortiz was flying under the radar for most people this year due to the Sano-Rosario focus on the Snappers. But he looks impressive for a low A ball hitter. Hopefully Fort Meyers will not trip him up. Kind of surprised that Boer was the first pitcher called up, a couple of relievers could have gotten the call. But Hermensen is a starter and guess they needed to replace that slot. This is not a slap at Boer, I just thought he could have used a bit longer in Beloit. I hope I never see him in a Snappers uni again, in a good way.

Blog Entries
    Ortiz was my choice for Twins minor league hitter of the month last April when he posted an OPS over 1.100 for the Snappers. He really struggled the rest of the season with the team. Although he's little, he can definitely hit the ball with authority.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Seth, are some of these promotions due to other injuries as well? The rosters don't always get updated very quickly when checking the active rosters.

Blog Entries
    Sam Deduno was placed on the DL by Rochester, and they called up Guerra.

Hermsen could be in New Britain primarily to fill in for Wimmers, although no one knows how long he is out. Boer moves up to take Hermsen's spot.

I think that Thielbar takes Guerra's spot, with Fuentes taking Thielbar's spot and Hurlbut taking Thielbar's spot.

I guess I anticipate most of them sticking, but it is kind of early for these types of mass movements.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Good for Danny Ortiz! He was too old for the Midwest league, hope this puts him back on the prospect map.
    He just turned 22. The average age for the Snappers is 22, there are several 23 year olds playing and a few 24 year olds (Lin, O'Rourke, Carter). This is his second season in Beloit, maybe that's why you think he is older. Both Leachman and Hurlbut who are going to Beloit are older than him...

Pretty big jump pretty quickly for Hermsen, I wonder if that means that he might be in the Twins' rotation conversation in 2013...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I so hope Hermsen continues what he's started this year.

Rotation hopes need bolstering, for sure.

Thanks for the other info Seth!

Definitely good to see Guerra move up. Hopefully he continues to perform well in AAA and we'll see him in a Twins uniform before too long.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Great to see people moving up already....Guerra should be in the majors in a month or so.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Great to see people moving up already....Guerra should be in the majors in a month or so.
    Why in a month or so? I guess he's on the 40 man roster, but Manship and Slama have to be ahead of him at this point.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Why in a month or so? I guess he's on the 40 man roster, but Manship and Slama have to be ahead of him at this point.
    Slama must do something that turns the Twins management off. Had one brief opp,was not great and then poof, off the 40-man roster. He'll only get back on if they dump someone else.

I see Guerra getting a shot in the 2nd half of the season. Manship will have to be throwing harder than in ST to get a callup.

Have to agree with Mr. Ed. Twins management has never shown an inclination to use Slama at the major league level and Manship has never impressed me. As bad as the Twins pitching has been this year, if they thought he could help, wouldn't he be here already? I see Manship and Swarzak as basically the same pitcher, and you should hopefully only need one long guy in the pen. If Guerra shows anything at AAA the Twins need to get him to the majors to see if he's going to be part of the solution next year and beyond. The other two guys are just possible filler at this point. I hope the Twins have gotten beyond the "he's been here longer, so he's he's next in line" stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Manship will have to be throwing harder than in ST to get a callup.
    I've been watching the Red Wings games on MiLB TV. Most of the parks do not have radar guns up on the screen, so you have to rely on the announcers. However, they mentioned yesterday that his fastball was in the low 90's. So it sounds like his velocity is back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I hope the Twins have gotten beyond the "he's been here longer, so he's he's next in line" stage.
    I dont' think that the Twins have really ever thought that. If they did, Slama and Delaney would have had real chances. It's just amazed me that Slama has never been given a real big league chance despite always getting a ton of strikeouts. He has walked too many, sure, but less than the likes of Gray, Vasquez and several other guys that they seem to like. So, I may never understand that situation.

Manship has been tremendous in Rochester as well this season. I think he and his curveball/slider can do ver well in a bullpen role.

Guerra's best pitch is his changeup, which is as good as anyone in the organization.

All three of these guys throw about the same in terms of velocity.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I'm just ready for any young guy to be up in the bullpen, but it doesn't matter all that much either way to me, frankly. The pen is not their issue right now....
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'm just ready for any young guy to be up in the bullpen, but it doesn't matter all that much either way to me, frankly. The pen is not their issue right now....
    That's just it. I think that the defense has been the least of the team's concerns. Gray is the easy answer, but he's pitched well (although I think the walks will eventually catch up to him). But you're right, MWW, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an open spot in a month.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast