Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernels Opening Day Roster announced

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Guess Sulbaran was the odd man out at High A, Making Gonsalves the odd man out here. The Twins need more hitting at this level, the next trade needs to included an A ball position player.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It sort of looks like there are at least 7 pitchers you would like to see starting. I expect that will work itself out as the season goes along. I will agree that there aren't a lot of highly regarded bats in this bunch. Should I be surprised to see Vielma on the roster? I kind of thought that Vavra was more of an outfielder, which might explain only 3 outfielders on the roster.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Ryan Walker was penciled in to play a lot of SS in CR to start the season (he was with the Kernels for a week or so at the end of the regular season last summer), but I'm told a pitch hit him a little over a week ago and broke a finger on his left hand, so he'll be a few weeks away from joining the Kernels (or any team).

I didn't see Vavra play any OF last week in the games I watched, but CHad Christensen can play both corner OF positions.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, Ryan Walker is starting the season on the Disabled List.

Vavra is really only a 2B.

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    It sort of looks like there are at least 7 pitchers you would like to see starting. I expect that will work itself out as the season goes along. I will agree that there aren't a lot of highly regarded bats in this bunch. Should I be surprised to see Vielma on the roster? I kind of thought that Vavra was more of an outfielder, which might explain only 3 outfielders on the roster.
    Christensen is also an outfielder.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The roster the Kernels released in pdf version to the media lists Christensen among the outfielders, while the roster on their website lists him as a 3B among the infielders. Again, demonstrates the flexibility he brings to the table.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    I'm kind of surprised (and disappointed) that Gonsalves won't start the year in A ball.
    It seemed to me like he showed enough last year that you maybe try to push him a little bit and see how he handles it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I'm kind of surprised (and disappointed) that Gonsalves won't start the year in A ball.
    It seemed to me like he showed enough last year that you maybe try to push him a little bit and see how he handles it.
    If Eades or sledger excel and are moved up quickly, I think we will see Gonsalves in short order.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a very pitching heavy roster, at least with respect to prospects. If I remember correctly, the opposite was true last year. I made it to CR last year for Buxton. Looks like this year might take a little more planning and fit it around a Stewart start.
    Last edited by Physics Guy; 03-30-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great post, I had been monitoring all the Twins affiliates for their rosters but forgot the past few days.

What I find interesting is that Engelb Vielma is the only SS (or only one listed). He didn't hit RK that well, but looks like he's going to get all the playing time possible to increase that hit tool.

It also makes me wonder about A+ concerning the SS position, which also affects AA.

I get the feeling the Twins want to see, and for good reason, if Jorge Polanco can play SS. Ft. Myers had Aderlin Mejia, who hit .308 (no power though) in 78 games at SS - he did rather well. He got the position due to an injury I heard and it was expected to be short term, but he just kept hitting. Ft Myers also has Levi Michael on the roster, our 1st RD draft pick from 2011. He's a college player running out of time. Then you don't see Nick Goodrum on the Cedar Rapids roster...so he's got to be at A+ or higher too. He only hit .260 at Cedar Rapids last year.

Any guesses how A+ and AA get filled out at the SS position?

AA - Aderlin Mejia? Levi Michael?
    A+ - Jorge Polanco Niko Goodrum?

And this is why, if it's not guaranteed already, that Danny Santana has to be at AAA.

Suddenly, the SS position for the Twins is a position of interest as is pitching - both positions that are were very weak at the MLB level in 2013, giving some hope as early as 2015.

On Chad Christensen, yes he can play OF as well, but then who plays 3B - this is where I was thinking (maybe more hoping than thinking) Amaurys Minier would make the team as I had no idea who plays 3B for them - and this revealed roster - I feel - still doesn't answer that question. Unless they have high hopes for Christensen at 3B and for that 3rd OF (Pineda - no idea who this guy is).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I see the Rochester roster is also posted. Does anyone know what happened to Michael Tonkin because he isn't listed on the Red Wings roster?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Great post, I had been monitoring all the Twins affiliates for their rosters but forgot the past few days.

What I find interesting is that Engelb Vielma is the only SS (or only one listed). He didn't hit RK that well, but looks like he's going to get all the playing time possible to increase that hit tool.

It also makes me wonder about A+ concerning the SS position, which also affects AA.

I get the feeling the Twins want to see, and for good reason, if Jorge Polanco can play SS. Ft. Myers had Aderlin Mejia, who hit .308 (no power though) in 78 games at SS - he did rather well. He got the position due to an injury I heard and it was expected to be short term, but he just kept hitting. Ft Myers also has Levi Michael on the roster, our 1st RD draft pick from 2011. He's a college player running out of time. Then you don't see Nick Goodrum on the Cedar Rapids roster...so he's got to be at A+ or higher too. He only hit .260 at Cedar Rapids last year.

Any guesses how A+ and AA get filled out at the SS position?

AA - Aderlin Mejia? Levi Michael?
    A+ - Jorge Polanco Niko Goodrum?

And this is why, if it's not guaranteed already, that Danny Santana has to be at AAA.

Suddenly, the SS position for the Twins is a position of interest as is pitching - both positions that are were very weak at the MLB level in 2013, giving some hope as early as 2015.

On Chad Christensen, yes he can play OF as well, but then who plays 3B - this is where I was thinking (maybe more hoping than thinking) Amaurys Minier would make the team as I had no idea who plays 3B for them - and this revealed roster - I feel - still doesn't answer that question. Unless they have high hopes for Christensen at 3B and for that 3rd OF (Pineda - no idea who this guy is).
    I heard on the radio that Michael is going back to the Miracle. Don't know where Goodrum is going.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I see the Rochester roster is also posted. Does anyone know what happened to Michael Tonkin because he isn't listed on the Red Wings roster?
    I can't answer that one, but I can say that there is no need to worry about it. Nothing bad. He will be at Rochester soon, I'm certain.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I heard on the radio that Michael is going back to the Miracle. Don't know where Goodrum is going.
    Michael, Goodrum, Polanco and Pettersen will all be at Ft. Myers.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No Gonsalves or Thorpe... color me annoyed... Bit surprised that Sulbaran isn't in Fort Meyers. He put up pretty good numbers in the MWL last season, not sure what good repeating will do him.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I saw Vielma play a couple of weeks ago and was really surprised (whole ST post here) by his play, and had this to write about him:

This is the single one most unknown superstar in the making in the Twins' organization. He turned two unassisted double plays (one a line out/throw out the other a step on second throw at first) today and he made them seem so easy. Like it is an everyday kind of thing. Looks like his contact tool is getting better. He has crazy nutty speed and as a cutoff guy, he almost threw a guy out at third on a easy triple. Very strong arm. And he has room to grow. I think that he will move into second in my SS rankings after 6th overall ranked Jorge Polanco.

That "superstar" categorization was not written lightly. The kid has Ozzie Smith ceiling with the glove. Very good catch by Keith Law, but the rest of us had not seen him play before this Spring. Which makes me think that a July-August Fort Myers trip might be in order to catch GCL Cedar Rapids' folks are in for a treat with this kid...

On JC's roster I am certain that there are at least half a dozen or so total position players and (mainly) pitchers, including Josh Burris who are on the CR roster but in the DL. Bet we will find out early next week.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    No Gonsalves or Thorpe... color me annoyed... Bit surprised that Sulbaran isn't in Fort Meyers. He put up pretty good numbers in the MWL last season, not sure what good repeating will do him.
    I think Sulbaran will be the first one promoted. He came in out of shape and has been held back some as a result. But once he's doing what he as doing last year, I expect he'll join Berrios in Ft. Myers.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I think Sulbaran will be the first one promoted. He came in out of shape and has been held back some as a result. But once he's doing what he as doing last year, I expect he'll join Berrios in Ft. Myers.
    Sulbaran played a grand total of four (4) games with the Kernels last year. Hard to make conclusions based on that.

His career line (in 118.7 IP) in the Midwest League in a tad more than a season, is: 3.56 ERA (FIP around 3.3ish), 1.340 WHIP, 7.9 K/9, 2.89 K/BB. Hardly top of the line level... I first saw him pitch this spring, and I liked what I saw, but for some weird reason in the back of my mind, I have 2 words: Jose Mijares...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Omissions:
    Austin Malinowski
    Hein Robb
    Lo
    Im almost shocked that Malinowski didn't make the roster. Anyword on these guys Seth?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast