Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Consistency Earned Kyle Gibson the Fifth Starter Job

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Good. That's exactly what Ryan said they wanted to see, and rewarded him for it Go Kyle!

Hope Alex Meyer does the same thing.

3. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-29-2014)

Gibson and Hicks having good seasons after last year would make me quite happy.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    “I don’t put too much stock in that,” Suzuki said. “Don’t get me wrong, I think that has a lot to do with it but at the same time, what a pitcher does has a lot to do with it. If he’s all over the place, he’s obviously not going to get those borderline calls, not matter how good you make it look. If you are around the plate consistently, you are going to get those calls.”
    Has anyone tested this axiom using Commandf/x data yet?

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks, Arcia, Dozier, Pinto and Gibson just might be the top 5 reasons to watch and follow the Twins this season. With a little luck, before September, we'll have a few more options such as Meyer and .......?

7. This user likes DocBauer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (03-28-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gibson's got the stuff to dominate. He's got the build to last into late innings. Make a whinny, ya big stud horse!

9. These 2 users like jimbo92107's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-29-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (03-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff, especially the part about not getting strikes low in the zone. With Mauer or Doumit's helmet in the way, umps would call the pitch where it's caught. With the sinker, it was consistently caught below the strike zone even though it crossed the front of the zone above the knees. I look forward to better calls this year, whether from more consistency, a lower target, or a lack of rookie stigma.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Good stuff, especially the part about not getting strikes low in the zone. With Mauer or Doumit's helmet in the way, umps would call the pitch where it's caught. With the sinker, it was consistently caught below the strike zone even though it crossed the front of the zone above the knees. I look forward to better calls this year, whether from more consistency, a lower target, or a lack of rookie stigma.

How about scheduling more of his starts against more home plate umps like the one who did the game today (Thomas Newsom)? Both Deduno (5Ks out of 6 outs) and Doubront figured out that not only were they getting all the borderline, over the plate, at-the-knee strikes, they also got the at-the-shin ones, as well. Apparently, no one told Hughes what was up (er, down).

I'm sure there are ump charts out there, right?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What none of the pitch potting technology will tell you is where the catcher was set up for each pitch. If, as Gardenhire and Gibson both seem to indicate, he was consistently "yanking" pitches toward the outside and missing the catcher's mitt when it was set up inside, he wasn't likely to get the outside corner call even if the pitch did catch the corner. Until we replace umpires with technology on ball/strike calls, that's probably not going to change.

Gibson being able to consistently put the ball where he wants it, combined with having catchers who get lower in the crouch, could be huge for Gibson's success.

Options should be irrelevant to making the big club!! The best players need to go north. GO GO Gibson, way to earn your spot.

Again Parker, thanks for this excellent analysis and article.

“Hopefully this year, if I am able to pound the zone and go back to those same pitches, then I might get more of those calls. But you've got to get ahead and earn the fact that you can hit that spot and I just wasn’t doing that.”

This statement seems to sum it up.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Has anyone tested this axiom using Commandf/x data yet?
    I have been umpiring a good five or six years now. It's very much true that the more you are around the plate the more likely you are to get the call when it comes to close pitches on the corners. I see this happen a lot when I do little league games.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Hicks, Arcia, Dozier, Pinto and Gibson just might be the top 5 reasons to watch and follow the Twins this season. With a little luck, before September, we'll have a few more options such as Meyer and .......?
    Joe Mauer?
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    That is saddest thing I have read in a long time!

Omg

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclemat View Post
    I stand corrected. This might be the saddest!

Jason Bartlett will make the Twins as a reserve infielder and center field option, tweets Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The 34-year-old had previously agreed to bump back his opt-out date. Though he has played exactly one MLB game at a position other than shortstop (a single 2004 appearance at second), Bartlett will apparently see some time in the outfield. He finds himself in position to break camp after taking just 98 professional plate appearances over the last two seasons.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    First legitimate use of Google Glass: Project a strike zone rectangle for umpires to train their eye.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I have been umpiring a good five or six years now. It's very much true that the more you are around the plate the more likely you are to get the call when it comes to close pitches on the corners. I see this happen a lot when I do little league games.
    I am familiar with the saying, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth to it.

I just think its funny that whenever a ballplayer scores lousy in a newish metric (catcher framing, in this case), he will, without fail, say he "doesn't put much stock in it" or repeat some cliche like this that we've all heard a hundred times so that he doesn't have to explain himself.

Anyway, Commandf/x has been capturing catcher mitt placement data since 2010, according to Sportvision's website. Unfortunately MLBAM hasnt released it to the public.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 03-29-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    What none of the pitch potting technology will tell you is where the catcher was set up for each pitch. If, as Gardenhire and Gibson both seem to indicate, he was consistently "yanking" pitches toward the outside and missing the catcher's mitt when it was set up inside, he wasn't likely to get the outside corner call even if the pitch did catch the corner. Until we replace umpires with technology on ball/strike calls, that's probably not going to change.

Gibson being able to consistently put the ball where he wants it, combined with having catchers who get lower in the crouch, could be huge for Gibson's success.
    Yeah. I wonder how much of that was arm fatigue from TJ. He was hitting his spots more consistently in Rochester. But he would just lose it for innings with the Twins. It will be interesting to see what he can do with a full healthy season.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    First legitimate use of Google Glass: Project a strike zone rectangle for umpires to train their eye.
    But the strike zone isn't a rectangle, it is more like a box. The plate has 16 inches of depth and ball can enter the strike zone from the top or the side. Also the strike zone is not one standard size like pitch f/x but varies from batter to batter(according to the rule book anyway) based on the where the batter's knees and "letters" are.

The idea that pitch f/x always is right is just "wrong". It can't be right all the time, it doesn't have the capacity to be right all the time. Sometimes, the umpire is going to be right and pitch f/x will be wrong. Sometimes they will be both wrong, especially if you are going to train the umpires to call pitches based on pitch f/x.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miraclemat View Post
    You must have missed the various stories about Sano and Rosario.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast