Thread: Article: Kernels Roster Taking Shape

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Kernels Roster Taking Shape

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did Mauer say who will be in the starting rotation this year?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Should be another good summer of Kernel's baseball!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Did Mauer say who will be in the starting rotation this year?
    I think you can count on Ryan Eades, Aaron Slegers, Felix Jorge, Randy Rosario and Miguel Sulbaran... If they go with a six-man rotation again, Kohl Stewart could factor into that discussion.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Hey Seth, why do you think Sulbaran (overrated, IMHO) will be repeating Low A ball... just organizational depth?

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Mauer indicated they will be going with a 6 man rotation again, thus the 13 man pitching staff to start the season anyway. Sulbaran is with the Kernels group and threw 2 innings of relief yesterday. That doesn't mean he won't be in the rotation, of course, since right now they're just trying to get guys innings of work any way they can.

He said there was still a decision or two to be made with the pitchers, but I think Seth's projected rotation would be the same for me, including Stewart.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think you can count on Ryan Eades, Aaron Slegers, Felix Jorge, Randy Rosario and Miguel Sulbaran... If they go with a six-man rotation again, Kohl Stewart could factor into that discussion.
    Why would two college pitchers in Eades (who draft experts said could be one of the quickest arms to the bigs) and Slegers start in low-A? I'm confused by why the Twins do this.

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone who is looking for a cheap fun baseball trip this summer should check out Cedar Rapids- it's a nice stadium and only about four hours from the Twin Cities. I was there last summer and had one of the all-you-can-eat seats down the first baseline. So many brats, so little time...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Hey Seth, why do you think Sulbaran (overrated, IMHO) will be repeating Low A ball... just organizational depth?

The Twins weren't happy with the shape he came to camp in, so he got a late start. He could move up in not too long.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Why would two college pitchers in Eades (who draft experts said could be one of the quickest arms to the bigs) and Slegers start in low-A? I'm confused by why the Twins do this.

I would think that most organizations would do this. Slegers is more of a project, so he won't move as quickly, I don't think. But I think there's a chance he could get to Ft. Myers this season.

Eades could move quickly, but no real need for him to skip a level. He's not getting to the big leagues this year, so it's more about just getting him innings, getting him adjusted, working on things and moving up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I would think that most organizations would do this. Slegers is more of a project, so he won't move as quickly, I don't think. But I think there's a chance he could get to Ft. Myers this season.

Eades could move quickly, but no real need for him to skip a level. He's not getting to the big leagues this year, so it's more about just getting him innings, getting him adjusted, working on things and moving up.
    I don't think that's true. I counted last year, and I think there were something like eight healthy collegiate pitchers drafted in the first five rounds in 2013 that didn't pitch in at least low A ball. I'm guessing a good majority of them will get to graduate to high A if they didn't already last year. The Twins starting pitchers didn't get out of Rookie League last year, plenty of clubs didn't even bother putting their early round college arms in those leagues.

I'm not making any judgments here but the Twins college age pitchers, at least from 2013, are further behind most of their peers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I don't think that's true. I counted last year, and I think there were something like eight healthy collegiate pitchers drafted in the first five rounds in 2013 that didn't pitch in at least low A ball. I'm guessing a good majority of them will get to graduate to high A if they didn't already last year. The Twins starting pitchers didn't get out of Rookie League last year, plenty of clubs didn't even bother putting their early round college arms in those leagues.

I'm not making any judgments here but the Twins college age pitchers, at least from 2013, are further behind most of their peers.
    Yeah, that's what I thought most clubs did.

Blog Entries
    I agree on Eades, Slegers, Jorge
    Wouldn't Landa?
    Lots of good candidates and I hope they don't punish Sulbaran - Just because of the number's factor.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like that, with two changes. i think Sulbaran did enough to earn a promotion (better numbers than Berrios), assuming he got into better shape as camp went along. If so, then Stewart will take his place.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree on Eades, Slegers, Jorge
    Wouldn't Landa?
    Lots of good candidates and I hope they don't punish Sulbaran - Just because of the number's factor.
    Which "numbers factor"? Too many SPs, or too many LBs?

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In this Edition of 2013 College Pitchers...

There were 132 college pitchers taken in the 2013 Rule IV MLB Draft. Five were injured and never had a chance to pitch in MLB (e.g. Manea, Stanek, etc), leaving 127 eligible pitchers to be placed among the minor league affiliates.

89 of them pitched in A- or higher last year.

So, in the same year college pitchers were drafted, about 69% pitched in A- or higher. 2 in 3 of those drafted in the 1st-10th RD.

Could we apply this further? Perhaps to where the Twins college pitchers should land in their 1st full season of pro ball?

e.g. the 2012 college pitchers class (1st-10th RD)

1 pitcher, Josh Conway of the Cubs, has been injured and has yet to accumulate a minor league stat, leaving 110 pitchers meeting the criteria.

So 87% were at A or higher. 51% at A+ or higher
    - applicable to the Twins as we don't have an 'A' club - not sure which/how they (TBC) classified "A"

Source: Thebaseballcube.com
    Used: MS Excel 2007
    Attached Images Attached Images

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    I'd assume the "A-" level is "short-season A" and the Twins don't have a team at that level. They use Elizabethton as their top "short season" club. In a very real sense, the Twins seem to use E-town as their "short-season A" level. When you take that in to consideration, I don't think the Twins treat there college pitchers much different than other teams do.

I think the unusual thing we'll be seeing this year is just how many YOUNG pitchers, both HS guys drafted last year and international pitchers not yet 20 years old, find their way in to the Kernels rotation this summer.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I also assume that the analysis points out that 2013 Twins draft picks Brian Gilbert and Brandon Bixler pitched for Cedar Rapids last year, the same year they were drafted. Or that the year before Taylor Rogers and DJ Baxendale pitched for Beloit. (Both will start for New Britain this year).

The Kernels pitching staff could be quite young with those international signings.

Also, Eades came off throwing a lot of innings at LSU, and Slegers threw a lot and into the College World Series for Indiana. Watching their innings is way more important than where those innings come from.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Which "numbers factor"? Too many SPs, or too many LBs?
    I dont know what LB means but I was saying starters.
    FM has room. CR does not.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I dont know what LB means but I was saying starters.
    FM has room. CR does not.
    Pounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast