Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Jason Bartlett

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    One of the reasons the A's and Rays win is that they value EVERY single player on the roster. They don't carry negative WAR players, in general. The secret to the As last year is that no one is really bad, and a few players are quite good. If the 24th and 25th spots don't matter at all, just hire Bonnes and Stohs to play out there. But then, no one would do that, so clearly they do matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Feel free to write off ABs and fielding all you want, because "it doesn't matter much". I'm saying that the As and Rays (and I) don't agree. No AB or inning in the field should be given away.

As for Bartlett over Presley, I don't see how anyone can argue a 34 year old who has never played any position other than SS in his career, who was effectively out of baseball for the last 2 years, is likely to be as effective in the field as Presley. Who is your defensive sub in the 8th/9th innings for Willingham/Arcia now, on the off chance they have a lead? Bartlett?

Thankyou for saying what is obviously truthful and so easily dismissed by some. Given the depth of mediocrity, guys past their prime and/or with injury history and inexperience on this team and the clear fact that the A's and Rays are succeeding with lots of similar low/mid-quality players and few superstars, it is even more important for any hope of success this season that the Twins attempt to get positive WAR from the 24 and 25 guys- who, given the above reasons, could be forced to be inserted into a bigger role at any moment.

And now Bartlett has spent 40 days being groomed as the (Not So) Super-Utility guy. And he actually got his shot at batting leadoff today and battling the RF fence as much as major league pitching. And there was an actual Super-Util guy available on the waiver wire just a couple months ago in Bonifacio- who also would have been an excellent leadoff option a couple of days a week. Right now the Twins available leadoff batter is.....Dozier (sort of).....and......???
    Last edited by jokin; 03-28-2014 at 04:19 PM.

2. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (03-29-2014)

The player Guardy has is final decision of Ryan and Antony not him and then is his choice of how to use those players. Last year Twins never did give Guardy option at center field he had Hicks with no way to give few days off or spot him in place in line up that could have improved his performance. When they finally sent him down he was so messed up it was not possible to get him back on total track. I think that's why they had him take time off. This wasn't only problem Guardy had to deal with pitching was terrible trying to put together game to be in position to win. By year end relief pitcher were worn out and starting pitching was even worse than ever wonder why they had complete collapse. Then add in injuries to Mauer and Willingham the offense was also gone. Now tell me what manager could have won with what he had to work with. Ryan I think believed that some veterans and younger pitchers were going to step up to bridge the gap and they could be competitive and when he saw this happening he just wrote the season off and they would get another round of high draft picks. This year I think Ryan bought enough pitching to be respectable and he hopes this group of players for offense is good enough to improve team to 70 to 75 win category. If not they will get another round of very high draft picks and next year potential superstars will be here for everyone be talking about the future. The problem with that we have to endure another year of loosing and if I was Guardy he may be fall guy for the problem. If Guardy was with say with ST. Louis, Atlanta, and Texas and he was leading them to another pennant we would be wishing we had manager like him. Manager has to have talent and when Guardy had some talent he was winner he was just short a player each of times he was there. Either one top players were hurt or he was short a pitcher or hitter to get over the hump. I also think some big talent came up short to in those games too and they went for greener pastures neither of them have made it to big game yet.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ND-Fan View Post
    The player Guardy has is final decision of Ryan and Antony not him and then is his choice of how to use those players. Last year Twins never did give Guardy option at center field he had Hicks with no way to give few days off or spot him in place in line up that could have improved his performance. When they finally sent him down he was so messed up it was not possible to get him back on total track. I think that's why they had him take time off. This wasn't only problem Guardy had to deal with pitching was terrible trying to put together game to be in position to win. By year end relief pitcher were worn out and starting pitching was even worse than ever wonder why they had complete collapse. Then add in injuries to Mauer and Willingham the offense was also gone. Now tell me what manager could have won with what he had to work with. Ryan I think believed that some veterans and younger pitchers were going to step up to bridge the gap and they could be competitive and when he saw this happening he just wrote the season off and they would get another round of high draft picks. This year I think Ryan bought enough pitching to be respectable and he hopes this group of players for offense is good enough to improve team to 70 to 75 win category. If not they will get another round of very high draft picks and next year potential superstars will be here for everyone be talking about the future. The problem with that we have to endure another year of loosing and if I was Guardy he may be fall guy for the problem. If Guardy was with say with ST. Louis, Atlanta, and Texas and he was leading them to another pennant we would be wishing we had manager like him. Manager has to have talent and when Guardy had some talent he was winner he was just short a player each of times he was there. Either one top players were hurt or he was short a pitcher or hitter to get over the hump. I also think some big talent came up short to in those games too and they went for greener pastures neither of them have made it to big game yet.
    Actually FWIW, Antony, on the broadcast today put the final few roster moves pretty much all on Gardy as having made his case for why they deserved to be here and how he intended to use them.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I think the Twins should take a page out of the Earl Weaver playbook. Bat Bartlett 2nd on road games, so he hits in the top of the 1st. Then take him out of the game, sub in Florimon for the bottom of the 1st.
    This assumes that Bartlett is better than Florimon at this stage of his career, which he still has yet to prove.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Thankyou for saying what is obviously truthful and so easily dismissed by some. Given the depth of mediocrity, guys past their prime and/or with injury history and inexperience on this team and the clear fact that the A's and Rays are succeeding with lots of similar low/mid-quality players and few superstars, it is even more important for any hope of success this season that the Twins attempt to get positive WAR from the 24 and 25 guys- who, given the above reasons, could be forced to be inserted into a bigger role at any moment.

And now Bartlett has spent 40 days being groomed as the (Not So) Super-Utility guy. And he actually got his shot at batting leadoff today and battling the RF fence as much as major league pitching. And there was an actual Super-Util guy available on the waiver wire just a couple months ago in Bonifacio- who also would have been an excellent leadoff option a couple of days a week. Right now the Twins available leadoff batter is.....Dozier (sort of).....and......???
    The A's gave Adam Rosales, a 30 year old journeyman middle infielder, 150 PAs last season. He had a .583 OPS and a 0.1 WAR.

The As and Rays are good because they have 10-15 average to above average players on the roster.

The Twins are bad because they do not. Slots 24 and 25 aren't making or breaking anything. At best you'll get 1 WAR from a 25th man in a breakout year... If he was capable of more than that, he'd be a starter, not the 25th man.

Keeping Bartlett doesn't bother me. Heck, he'll probably be the starting SS by mid-April. The one that really makes me mad is Kubel. He's been terrible since midseason 2012. When he swings he misses the ball by a foot. Atleast Bartlett is on the ball. He's made some decent contact and takes good atbats. There's hope. Kubel is lost. A disaster. I believe they're erroring badly not keeping Herrmann and sliding Pinto to DH. Mackey actually got one right.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The A's gave Adam Rosales, a 30 year old journeyman middle infielder, 150 PAs last season. He had a .583 OPS and a 0.1 WAR.

The As and Rays are good because they have 10-15 average to above average players on the roster.

The Twins are bad because they do not. Slots 24 and 25 aren't making or breaking anything. At best you'll get 1 WAR from a 25th man in a breakout year... If he was capable of more than that, he'd be a starter, not the 25th man.
    Except you leave out the fact of how precariously structured this roster is and with the huge number of guys threatening at any moment to be close to below-replacement, just hoping to somehow get to 1 WAR by season's end themselves.

Man oh man, if we could get 1 WAR from our 24th and 25th man, combined, that would practically make them potential starters at 7 of 9 positions. Freaking Adam Rosales and his .1 WAR would be playing somewhere and contributing nearly every day on this team, and the Texas Rangers thought enough of him with those numbers to acquire him for the stretch run (think "youthful" Doug Bernier).

Consider the 2013 fWAR achievements of the following:

Florimon 1.3
    Plouffe 0.4
    Suzuki 0.4
    Willingham 0.0
    Parmelee -0.2
    Arcia -0.4
    Escobar -0.5
    Hicks -0.7
    Kubel -1.7

(And the bar for producing a positive fWAR isn't high at all, the late and unlemented Clete Thomas got a 0.4 in 2013).

That's a net fWAR at -0.7 of production in 2013 from 7 of 9 projected starters, COMBINED. Mauer's WAR will drop from 5.2 into the 3s, even if he has a banner year at the plate. And the Twins should consider themselves lucky if Dozier shows no regression from the 2.8 he achieved in 2013. So even if you project those 2 to produce, say, 6.2 WAR- that's still going to be a drop of 1.8 fWAR. And there has been little shown this spring that anyone else has broken out to potentially score particularly above their 2013 levels, and many have looked worse, or much worse, consider:

-Pinto may be of help, but it seems pretty certain that he won't be moving into a full-time role any time soon (the broadcast today thought a 2/3 Suzuki to 1/3 Pinto split of games was "about right").

-Hicks and Arcia may have breakout years, but Arcia has shown nothing to suggest that he has improved his troubling K and BB rates, as well as his defense. And we all know what may and may not happen with Hicks and how difficult it is to judge his ST performances. I do like him batting 8th, but that of course reduces his WAR should he actually produce from that spot, sandwiched between Suzuki and Florimon, versus leading off instead.

-Florimon is still recovering from an appendectomy, and now the entire league has a book on him at the plate- I expect a significant drop from that 1.3 WAR number he got last season.

-And we know about the other veterans and newcomers who "made" the team, but would probably look more productive in a zombie mask on the set of "The Walking Dead".

It would be nice to have guys, at the ready on the roster, both to pick up on opportunities to contribute when they occur:

-utilizing split advantages at the plate,
    -along with timely use of speed
    -and fielding expertise,
    -and to challenge however many guys who fail to produce for their spots in the lineup.

Both the Twins FO and Manager from Day 1 of the offseason to today, March 29, have openly admitted that this situation is a huge problem and expressed concern about attending to the need to upgrade the offense, but have done nothing substantial whatsoever to back up that alleged concern. And now they don't even have a 4th OF/Backup CF with major league experience. Somewhat incredible.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-29-2014 at 12:28 AM.

9. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-29-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

See post immediately above for what the Twins need on the bench.

25th man, Ernesto Bonifacio goes 4 for 5 leading off for the Cubs against Pirates ace, Francisco Liriano, stealing a base, getting an outfield assist in CF, and finishing up at Second Base for the Cubs on opening day.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-31-2014 at 11:43 PM.

11. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-31-2014)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567