Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Bartlett

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    And 'team chemist', ehh? Hope it doesn't come to this:

Bart-ie as "the One who Knocks?" or as the Twins own Team Chemist-Alchemist, if you will, a PED-Free, Dr Heisenberg Feelgood-Aboutourselves?

Or maybe this might be the secret to our Team Chemist's success in 2014?:

2. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-28-2014)

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Whats Lew Ford up to these days?
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was not surprised about this decision, based on what Gardehire has been talking about all Spring, but when I first heard about it I was disappointed, esp. vis-a-vis Antony's comments about performing and winning jobs in ST. And then the more I thought about it, the more I do not mind it. And I wrote the reasons here.

I am really ok with it. We are talking about the 24th man (remember the last roster spot is between Colabello and a potential waiver wire pick up) and none of the others who were cut (other than maybe Danny Santana, but that is another long, and philosophical, discussion) did anything to win a spot with the team this Spring.

Matter of fact, Presley did everything to lose his job, and he did. Deservedly.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

5. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tobi0040 (03-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There might be something to the comments that they hope he adds to the shortstop depth and ultimately takes over there. But they have said nothing to suggest it. What Gardenhire has said (and Antony made it clear that this was Gardy's decision) is that he wants a "Rays-style" bench, meaning a couple of guys who can play everywhere. He also said yesterday that he does not need a backup center fielder. This implies that he is not confident with Presley anywhere else but center. And, come to think of it, Presley pretty much only played center this spring. Clearly Gardy saw him as competing with Hicks. And he lost that competition.

I'm not that bothered by it. Presley is slightly above replacement level. But I don't think Bartlett is a viable center fielder for anything but an inning or two in an emergency. If Hicks gets dinged in a way that he needs a couple of days but does not need to go on the DL, they will be in a pickle.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 1,283 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Has someone in the Twins organization said something about Florimon recently? I know Gardy was a bit concerned that he wouldn't be ready, but he has played with the regulars almost every day for the past week. If there was a contingency to disable P-Flo, the Twins wouldn't have wanted him to play in major league exhibitions. He can't be disabled retroactively, so barring a new injury, I see no possibility that he will stay in Florida when the Twins go to Chicago on the 31st.
    The only thing I've seen of note is that he has been taking extra work with Brunansky. Not unusual and given both his delay in getting started this spring and his struggles at the plate, a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    What Gardenhire has said (and Antony made it clear that this was Gardy's decision) is that he wants a "Rays-style" bench, meaning a couple of guys who can play everywhere. He also said yesterday that he does not need a backup center fielder.
    Couldn't the Twins just kidnap Joe Maddon (and his sabermetrics guys)?

9. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    They have one of them managing the Rochester team.

I hated the Morneau trade simply because just like the Liriano trade, the Twins had to take back two guys who needed to be placed on the 40-man. This is what you get; uncomfortable roster decisions about equally inadaquate replacement level players.

Well maybe not equal. Presley got claimed by the first team eligible to do so. I'm guessing no one here actually thinks Bartlett would have been snatched up and given a MLB roster spot.

11. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Thrylos;207562 I am really ok with it. We are talking about the 24th man (remember the last roster spot is between Colabello and a potential waiver wire pick up) and none of the others who were cut (other than maybe Danny Santana, but that is another long, and philosophical, discussion) did anything to win a spot with the team this Spring. .[/QUOTE]

This is kind of how I feel. Regardless of how you feel about Bartlett over Presley, this is the 24th or 25th man. We are going to give Hicks the reps in CF and Arcia in RF because it makes sense. We want to build up Willingham, so Presley was going to get under 100 AB's this year anyway.

To see Hicks, Gibson, and Pinto on this team. Young guys who can grow here and could be part of the future, in the grand scheme of things we should be pretty pleased.

I think people are upset that the SS battle came down to Bartlett versus Florimon in the first place and Bartlett is the whipping boy at the moment. Trust me, I get the frustration.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 03-28-2014 at 07:14 AM.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And they have already cut their 2014 Clete Thomas, in one Jermaine Mitchell.
    I'm not going to disagree with you because I really don't know a whole lot about Mitchell, but the guy deserves some respect. He had a nice spring training at the plate. Everybody was Collabello this, Collabello that, but not a single person said anything about Mitchell. He hit .400, .444 OBP, 1hr, 6RBI's, which is better than a lot of players who made the cut.

Speaking of guys who made the cut, I'm indifferent about Bartlett and Kubel making the team. The Twins are hoping Kubel still has something left in the tank and they gave Bartlett the benefit of the doubt because he's been out of baseball for a while. Guys like Mastroianni, Parmelee, Presly, Diamond etc.. have all had plenty of opportunities to prove that they belong in the MLB level long term. Odds aren't good that they'll have career years, but I'm not going to get upset with the Twins for giving Bartlett and Kubel another opportunity. Worst case scenario is they don't work out and guys like Parmelee can always get called back up.

I would have been fine if they kept Presly as the 4th outfielder. It really doesn't matter a whole lot. The Twins are trying to make something work without spending a lot of $.
    Last edited by Reider; 03-28-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Morneau's absence here is loudly apparent, as he was a vocal, and entertaining guy on and off the field. Bartlett will bring some of that back, as most of these guys are pretty quiet. We need someone in the clubhouse to ease the mood a bit. Hopefully that's not his only asset, but that alone can't hurt.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 321 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I'm not that bothered by it. Presley is slightly above replacement level. But I don't think Bartlett is a viable center fielder for anything but an inning or two in an emergency. If Hicks gets dinged in a way that he needs a couple of days but does not need to go on the DL, they will be in a pickle.
    Yup. And what bothers me most is not the risk that we could see too much of Bartlett in CF (although that's not a pretty proposition either), but that the Twins might force Hicks to play through injuries and fatigue when he would otherwise be rested if they had a true backup CF.

Heck, it wouldn't even have to be management or coaches forcing Hicks -- Hicks could just feel the pressure and take it upon himself to keep playing (by minimizing the extent of an injury or fatigue).

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    It's worth remembering that even after adding Kubel and Bartlett there are still two open spots on the 40-man. Mastroianni? Guerrier? Somebody else?

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Presley got claimed by the first team eligible to do so.
    Well, it was only the Astros. And Presley must have passed through waivers last August to be traded to us in the first place. So it may have just been circumstance and timing that led to his claim now, rather than any truly greater value.

As to the Liriano/Morneau trade returns, I wasn't crazy about them either, but really, this Twins club shouldn't have any truly difficult roster crunches. There just isn't the talent in MLB or even the upper minors yet. Doesn't really hurt to occasionally cycle through some more marginal 40-man types if you're not signing free agents to fill those spots anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Morneau's absence here is loudly apparent, as he was a vocal, and entertaining guy on and off the field.
    I thought that before his concussion.

Afterwards, not so much. It really was like the concussion made him a shell of his former self. I hope he re-emerges in Colorado but his "vocal leadership" seemed to be gone long before he was traded.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Jason Bartlett has played exactly 1 inning in his 9 year career at a position other than shortstop (2B in 2004), batted .078 in spring training, wasn't in the majors basically for the last 2 years, had one decent season in 2009, and is 34 years old.

The Twins cut 3 outfielders (Parmalee, Mastroianni, and Pressly) who are all in their 20's and SIGNIFICANTLY better players than Bartlett, exposing 2 of them to waivers, so Bartlett could be a backup outfielder.

Ladies & Gentleman your Minnesota Twins!

20. This user likes savvyspy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or maybe just hire a junior analyst who's been mentored by a respected department head of a successful organization, instead of promoting someone from within who had no experience in the field?

Having Mr. Goin answer questions here was wonderful, and if they want him to run an analytics department that's fine, but he should have been allowed to hire a BProp or other such alum who has couple of years working for a major league front office.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I thought that before his concussion.

Afterwards, not so much. It really was like the concussion made him a shell of his former self. I hope he re-emerges in Colorado but his "vocal leadership" seemed to be gone long before he was traded.
    To be fair, the team absolutely sucked after his concussion too, which could also suppress one's vocal leadership tendencies.

But you're right -- it's especially hard to be a vocal leader as a reduced player on a lousy team.

I'm with you -- maybe his relocation will make it easier to accept his new role as a more of a complementary player, hopefully on a better team.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos View Post
    i was not surprised about this decision, based on what gardehire has been talking about all spring, but when i first heard about it i was disappointed, esp. Vis-a-vis antony's comments about performing and winning jobs in st. And then the more i thought about it, the more i do not mind it. And i wrote the reasons here.

I am really ok with it. We are talking about the 24th man (remember the last roster spot is between colabello and a potential waiver wire pick up) and none of the others who were cut (other than maybe danny santana, but that is another long, and philosophical, discussion) did anything to win a spot with the team this spring.

Matter of fact, presley did everything to lose his job, and he did. Deservedly.
    what. Have. You. Done. With. The. Real. Thrylos?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I view every roster position as important (not equally important, obviously, but still). I am assuming that this is a Florimon thing and that the Twins are also going to get some kind of Clete Thomasesque player (Presley was the best version of that . . . ) soon enough to fill-in as the actual backup OF. This *must* just be a Florimon to DL situation coming.

OF defense late in games with Willingham and Arcia in the corners is quite funny though.

Free James Beresford!

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    Jason Bartlett has played exactly 1 inning in his 9 year career at a position other than shortstop (2B in 2004), batted .078 in spring training, wasn't in the majors basically for the last 2 years, had one decent season in 2009, and is 34 years old..
    To be fair, if you factor in baserunning and defense, Bartlett was a perfectly fine starting MLB player for 5-6 seasons, before going to San Diego. 2009 was just his standout *hitting* season. That said, not sure how much baserunning/defensive value we can expect at his age and after his injury and layoff, certainly not at new and important defensive positions.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast