Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Bartlett

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Gardenhire demanded a veteran roster--and now he has one. Recall how the last two seasons were explained as "not providing the right players to Gardenhire"? Now he has them--and the FO has him! It's win or it's Gardenhire's fault now.

2. These 3 users like Kwak's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014), sandbun (03-28-2014)

Liked 1,266 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Which young players is he going to teach? Plouffe? Floriman? Dozier? Mauer? Suzuki? Kubel? Willingham? that is 7/9 of your starters......who are these mythical young players on the roster?
    Pinto, Hicks, Escobar. That's it for me.

I suppose you could include Dozier in that group but he'll be 27 in May and Florimon turned 27 in December. Still don't seem like young players to me but I guess that "young" is in the eye of the beholder.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
    Mike-First of all, you are correct that there isn't a lot for Bartlett to teach Mauer, Suzuki, Kubel or Willingham.(4 of 13 position players, Bartlett makes the 5th true veteran)

But just because Plouffe(2 1/2 yrs in MLB), Florimon(1 1/2 yrs in MLB), and Dozier(1 1/2 yrs in MLB) were starters all of last year doesn't mean they don't have things to learn. I think the results of last year prove they do. I would classify these three as 'young veterans'

As far as what you call 'mythical young players' I would put Hicks, Arcia, Pinto, Escobar and Colabello in this category(Colabello may be older than the other three but he still has virtually no MLB experience.

So 8 of 13 position players have less than 2 1/2 yrs played in the big leagues. I would consider that young.

5. This user likes zwiefz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    I will go on record as not opposing the Bartlett decision on its own. He's just a utility guy (I think?). It's when placed against the broader picture I agree the whole thing just invites scorn. Very much moving the goalposts here.

7. These 4 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-27-2014), cmathewson (03-27-2014), JB_Iowa (03-27-2014), LaBombo (03-27-2014)

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I'm tempted to think the Twins are keeping Bartlett around as a hedge against the very real possibility Florimon doesn't hold onto the everyday SS job, and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with a cheap veteran if (when?) it becomes apparent they can no longer keep running Florimon out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bartlett at SS quite often.

I don't think they signed him with the idea of turning him into a super utility guy, it's just the role that allows him to stick around for now.
    Last edited by USAFChief; 03-27-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

9. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-27-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (03-28-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Inexperienced is not equal to young.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zwiefz View Post
    2)He is essentially another coach who will help teach the younger players the "Twins Way".
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    I never really understood "experience in the lineup", when said experienced players are not good. Exactly what skill-set and knowledge is Bartlett bringing to the team that our coaches shouldn't already be able to teach the young players? I can see the arguments merit if we were talking someone like Thome or even a situation like Suzuki to help Pinto with game calling, but Jason Bartlett? C'mon.
    Quoting my own post from the Presley thread, since it's more relevant here and I'm interested in your take since you seem to believe Jason Bartlett has something to teach the younger players that our coaches can't offer, and this somehow offsets the fact that he isn't an outfielder and he hasn't done anything to prove he belongs on any major league team in any position (let alone outfield) in quite some time.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honest question, who would you guys have rather seen on the roster besides Jason Bartlett? (signing better players isn't an option for this question)
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Member Single-A
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Other than in 2009, Bartlett has never been good.

Kubel is in freefall.

These are bad roster decisions.
    Absolutely agree.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Honest question, who would you guys have rather seen on the roster besides Jason Bartlett? (signing better players isn't an option for this question)
    You mean to be the 4th OF? Presley. And why was not acquiring good players an option this offseason?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,283 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    And why was not acquiring good players an option this offseason?
    Moderator's note: Please, can we refrain from turning each thread on an individual roster move into a retrospective on the past off-season? Start a new thread if you think the time is ripe for that.

16. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-27-2014)

Member Single-A
    Blog Entries
    For me, these are the things I would do differently.

1. Tonkin trained, prepared and was real good in spring training. Clearly came in and earned a spot. You send a real positive message to the guys when you reward this. I like Deduno but he gets waived under my way of thinking about it.

2. Flourimon out, Santana and Escobar in. I can live with a learning curve on Santana and he adds something interesting to watch. Also, I like him working with the big league coaches.

3. Throw some dollars at Kendrys Moralis, send Kubel packing. I don't mind losing a draft pick.

These things add intrigue and perhaps even a little something to get excited about IMO. Not as excited as I would be if Ryan and Gardenhire were relieved of their duties though.

Thanks for listening.

Member Single-A
    Blog Entries
    I forgot to say dump Bartlett too.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just a baffling decision.

Alex Presley, while no great shakes, is 28, has shown he can play all three outfield spots competently, and has hit decently while in the majors.

The Twins let him go to another organization so they can keep Bartlett, who is 34, sat out last season, hasn't hit since 2009, and has never played a single professional inning in any outfield spot.

I'll buy that Bartlett, despite being in his mid-30s and nearly two years removed from his last game action, may have the athleticism to play anywhere in the outfield (I did see him make a pretty great catch in center while I was in FM). But doesn't it take experience and reps to truly become a quality fielder at any position? In 12 years, majors and minors, Bartlett has never played the outfield. And Gardenhire seems to think he can sporadically be tossed anywhere on the field and he'll be an asset simply because he's a good athlete?

With the spring he had, there was every reason to at least send Bartlett to Triple-A and make him prove that he's ready. That way, the Twins could have carried Presley in the early weeks to guard against injuries in the outfield or another Hicks mega-slump out of the gates.

Bizarre piece of roster management. Makes me wonder if there was a handshake agreement in place from the moment he signed.

20. These 7 users like Nick Nelson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-27-2014), Danchat (03-27-2014), Dman (03-27-2014), glunn (03-29-2014), JB_Iowa (03-27-2014), LaBombo (03-27-2014), sandbun (03-28-2014)

Liked 80 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Sign better ones?

I don't get how people think there is some way to wiggle out of this for the Twins. These options stink. These are the options the Twins chose to go with into ST. No matter how you slice it the roster looks woefully unprepared.
    I agree with all this, but given the material he had to work with, would you have settled on Presley and Parmelee instead. I think I would have, but that's probably a product of my distaste for the whole veteran leadership schpiel. I mean, Mr. Gardenhire, if you're so desperate for veteran leadership, turn the keys over to Molitor and join a summer bowling league.

Liked 1,266 Times in 732 Posts
    I was actually in favor of some veteran leadership. It is what we got with some of the pitchers who were signed. And the mentoring factor of Suzuki to Pinto is an important one to me (Steinbach, too).

But Kubel and Bartlett simply aren't what I think of when you say the words "veteran leadership". It blows my mind.

This looks like "Gardenhire Comfort Zone" more than "veteran leadership". Blech.

Liked 80 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'm tempted to think the Twins are keeping Bartlett around as a hedge against the very real possibility Florimon doesn't hold onto the everyday SS job, and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with a cheap veteran if (when?) it becomes apparent they can no longer keep running Florimon out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bartlett at SS quite often.

I don't think they signed him with the idea of turning him into a super utility guy, it's just the role that allows him to stick around for now.
    That's my suspicion too.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would have liked to have seen Bartlett get a month of every day at bats playing 5-7 different positions equally in Rochester. He's fine in CF. It's a pretty easy position to play. I'd worry more in the corners with the slice of the ball, but Kubel can play both of those positions.

But, I find it hard to get worked up about this. The more I saw Presley, the more I was completely fine with someone taking him.

Bartlett will be fine. It isn't about him teaching anyone. There's no need for any of that. Sure, if players want to go to him, he'll be good in that role, but that's just intangible. 25th man just isn't enough to get worked up about.

I say Good for Hicks and Arcia and Colabello.

And, people keep saying Kubel will be a bench bat... Maybe, but he's the regular DH, along with Colabello. I can see both of them hitting 15-20 homers this year. I'll take that.

No need to overreact.

25. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (03-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 268 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Gardenhire demanded a veteran roster--and now he has one. Recall how the last two seasons were explained as "not providing the right players to Gardenhire"? Now he has them--and the FO has him! It's win or it's Gardenhire's fault now.
    Doesn't this line of thinking imply that we would win more games with Presley over Bartlett? It is not like Gardy is taking Bartlett over an actual good player (probably not Gardy's choice anyhow).

If one of the two will contribute to wins it would be Bartlett in my eyes, as he has a track record, therefore potential upside. In reality, this roster move is not going to change the outcome of this team and I don't think that is on Gardy.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Bartlett. I have always liked Bartlett. He was a good player before he blew out his knee. That player was better than Presley or Parmelee or any of the other guys they sent to Rochester. But I seriously doubt he can return to that level of play. If he can, I will be the first to laud the Twins for the reclamation project. If not, they just lost a valuable asset. Time will tell. I will say that he looked really good when I saw him a week ago. Maybe he impressed all the coaches enough for them to think he is the same guy with a healthy knee.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast