Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Thursday Notes from Hammond: Diamond, Parmelee & Presley

I hope Colabello gets a fair shake with PAs. I imagine he will DH or spell Arcia in RF vs. lefties and give Mauer the occasional day off at 1B. There's always a late bloomer now and then that puts up some good years. Mike Morse comes to mind.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regarding Parmelee:
    He needs to be a profile guy who can play first base, play the corner outfield positions and drive in runs.
    Antony in this and other public statements sounds like Ryan, in that to me they sound like they're talking in code at times. Is "a profile guy" an actual thing, insider code for something? Or, is he just trying to say "he needs to fit the following profile (which we think lines up with his skillset): ..."?

Cutting Pressley is not going to hurt the Twins IMHO. He is a fringe player and we've got other fringe players who can replace him, like Mastroiani. Bartlett may not get the job done and if so, replace him. Needless to say, but Twins are going nowhere anytime say if Pressley is your starting CF?

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty74 View Post
    Cutting Pressley is not going to hurt the Twins IMHO. He is a fringe player and we've got other fringe players who can replace him, like Mastroiani. Bartlett may not get the job done and if so, replace him. Needless to say, but Twins are going nowhere anytime say if Pressley is your starting CF?
    Mastro and who else? He's not a bad CF when healthy, which was basically never last year. So that means the entire game plan for center field this year is to hope that Hicks improves radically and if not, that Mastro can stay healthy and hold down the fort until Buxton shows up.

On the bright side, it may increase the odds of one more very high draft pick before respectability is restored.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-27-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    So after Antony blasts a bunch of guys for not earning spots they grant spots to Bartlett and Kubel, who've underperformed as much, if not more, as anybody. Sure the guys they waived haven't been great but I just don't see an upside to either of these guys on the roster.
    Actions speak way louder than words. There seems to be no consistency at all. It appears, from what has been said, that Gardenhire got the lineup he wanted. I hope he takes responsibility for it in the future.
    Last edited by h2oface; 03-27-2014 at 05:49 PM.

6. This user likes h2oface's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by slash129 View Post
    I hope Colabello gets a fair shake with PAs. I imagine he will DH or spell Arcia in RF vs. lefties and give Mauer the occasional day off at 1B. There's always a late bloomer now and then that puts up some good years. Mike Morse comes to mind.
    Totally agree with this. He was used poorly last year he needs to have consistent at bats!!! playing him once every 3/4 days is filling Gardy's self fulfilling prophecy of who he is. Give him a real stretch of consistent play and see if he sinks or swims. This comment goes for several other "young" guys who get in Gardy's doghouse.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty74 View Post
    I totally agree with you about Presley (at least now we won't get confused by the different spelling of Presley and Pressly, who is also gone but not that far away.......). It is a sad comment on the ability of the GM to make a better trade, though. However, with Escobar in, I see no reason for Bartlett to be on the team at all.

9. This user likes h2oface's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-27-2014)

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    I totally agree with you about Presley (at least now we won't get confused by the different spelling of Presley and Pressly, who is also gone but not that far away.......).
    And there is your Silver Lining Award winner for today, ladies and gentlemen!

11. These 3 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-27-2014), JB_Iowa (03-27-2014), jokin (03-27-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I'm happy for Colabello but he isn't a "kid". He's 30. He seems younger because he hasn't been in mlb much but he's really a place filler. I am, however, very happy for him that he's able to live his big league dream for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Mastro and who else? He's not a bad CF when healthy, which was basically never last year. So that means the entire game plan for center field this year is to hope that Hicks improves radically and if not, that Mastro can stay healthy and hold down the fort until Buxton shows up.

On the bright side, it may increase the odds of one more very high draft pick before respectability is restored.

Since we were going with more "kids", there were some of us that suggested that the Twins sign Grady Sizemore a few months ago. He's starting for the Sox in CF and is making $750,000. That 31 year old "kid" would make our OF look a lot better than having both of those 2 "greybeards" out there (and more youthful!).
    Last edited by jokin; 03-27-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Presley was a little surprising, but not a big deal. Gardy must not have liked him much.

Kubel AND Bartlett??? Maybe they will regain their All-Star form? Oh wait, they both were mediocre in their prime. Hope springs eternal.

I am hopeful that Bartlet and Kubel are on a short leash to see if they can contribute at the major league level again. The, after 10 - 15 games, if they cannot, move forward with th younger guys like Parmalee.

As for loosing Pressley to the Astros, I don't think there is that much of a difference between him and Mastro so I don't see it as a huge lose. With Buxton waiting in the wings, I don't think we need a lot of CF candidates. Next year, Buxton will hopefully be ready and Hicks could be the backup / LF / 4th depending on who develops and is ready.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I am completely baffled by Bartlet making this roster. He's got almost no upside at all, hasn't shown anything this spring, hasn't played recently, hasn't played well in even longer, and doesn't have a position fit for this team.

I'm not going to pretend that Presley is a great loss, but he would have been an acceptable 4th OF and reasonable backup at CF and defensive replacement for Willingham/Arcia in the corners. Bartlet isn't either. Barring a trade, the back end of the roster isn't making a great deal of sense.

I don't know who is to blame for this: Ryan, Gardy, or Antony but it speaks well of none of them. It's hardly fireable, but it doesn't do much to inspire confidence in a fan base that they're already asking a lot out of.

17. This user likes jmlease1's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    The quote from Diamond " I felt what I had going for me is being out of options and being a lefty just trying breaking up that right-handed rotation but I think with the numbers he put up this spring in was too hard to ignore.” really irked me.

It seemed he expected to get the job because he was left handed and he was out of options. If the Twins had had any decent alternatives, he would not have been promoted in the first place. He was a rule 5 pick up by the Twins. Someone else thought he was not good enough to protect. He was fortunate that the Twins had pitching troubles two years ago so that he could get a chance. His roster spot last year was given to him based on his performance from the previous year.
    I didn't really care for the quote either but the rest is unfair. On a horrible team Diamond was 12-9 in 2012 with a 3.54 ERA. Statistically this put him in ace territory and put him above such guys as Scherzer, Darvish, Lester and Santana just to name a few. Of course the Twins are going to give him a roster spot in 2013 based on that performance. Any team in the majors would do the same much less a pitching starved team like the Twins. Rule 5 should not be held against him. He got the chance and performed. That fact that he hasn't since then is probably partly due to injuries. I have no problem with him being sent down. I would have no problem with him coming back if he earns it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    I didn't really care for the quote either but the rest is unfair. On a horrible team Diamond was 12-9 in 2012 with a 3.54 ERA. Statistically this put him in ace territory and put him above such guys as Scherzer, Darvish, Lester and Santana just to name a few.
    Reading posts like this might be why Diamond seems a bit over-confident now!

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbek View Post
    Presley was a little surprising, but not a big deal. Gardy must not have liked him much.
    Losing Presley might not be a big deal but that could be said for about 80% of the roster. Last year he was our best CF at the end of the season and everyone is always posting about how meaningless spring training is, so it's very possible they just downgraded their already very bad offense...for Jason Kubel and Jason Bartlett...?

21. These 3 users like troyhobbs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-28-2014), LaBombo (03-28-2014), mike wants wins (03-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    I am completely baffled by Bartlet making this roster. He's got almost no upside at all, hasn't shown anything this spring, hasn't played recently, hasn't played well in even longer, and doesn't have a position fit for this team.

I'm not going to pretend that Presley is a great loss, but he would have been an acceptable 4th OF and reasonable backup at CF and defensive replacement for Willingham/Arcia in the corners. Bartlet isn't either. Barring a trade, the back end of the roster isn't making a great deal of sense.

I don't know who is to blame for this: Ryan, Gardy, or Antony but it speaks well of none of them. It's hardly fireable, but it doesn't do much to inspire confidence in a fan base that they're already asking a lot out of.
    Amen!!!! None of this makes any sense. Who plays CF if Hicks gets hurt?? To me it looks like Bartlett and Kubel have a month or so and then Mastro comes back...but his only improvement is defense.

I have been down on this season every since Sano had his TJ surgery...now I am wondering if Twins will lose 100 games...I did get tickets for Twins visit to Os are Camden Yards at end of summer with one (and only one) hope--seeing Buxton in CF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12