Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Roster

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Opening Day Roster

As has been mentioned, Alex Presley was claimed by the Astros.

In other news, both Parmelee and Diamond cleared waivers and have been outrighted to AAA. Diamond hasn't decided whether to accept the assignment or become a Free Agent.

With these moves the roster is set:

Starting 9:
    1B Mauer
    2B Dozier
    SS Florimon
    3B Plouffe
    C Suzuki
    LF Willingham
    CF Hicks
    RF Arcia
    DH Kubel

Bench:
    Pinto, Escobar, Colabello, Bartlett

SP:
    Nolasco, Correia, Hughes, Pelfrey, Gibson
    RP:
    Swarzak, Deduno, Fien, Thielbar, Duensing, Burton, Perkins

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    The thing that makes me happiest here is that Chris Colabello will get to start the season with the team.

He took a big risk by not accepting the contract in Korea. I'm glad that he'll be able to realize his big league dream (at least for now).

Best "feel good" story of the Spring even if it doesn't really move the Twins into a better future.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 03-27-2014 at 02:41 PM.

3. These 4 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (03-27-2014), ericchri (03-27-2014), raindog (03-27-2014), twinsfan34 (03-27-2014)

I'm guessing this means florimon is heading north and is ready for opening day. Looks like the season in CF is hicks whether he plays well or not. Outfield defense is going to hamper us all season. Offensively we have no speed and no power and our corner infielders and outfields are terrible defensively.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't imagine that Bartlett has a long leash, especially if he will be backing up CF. Makes you wonder if Buxton is closer to a call up than anybody realizes...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 222 Times in 97 Posts
    Always a good sign when you need two long relievers on opening day.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    If they bring up Buxton and start his service time to play with this bunch they should all be fired. By the way he is hurt and not playing.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im excited for Hicks, Colobello and Gibson. I think Kubel and Bartlett are trade bait. I dont see either one on the roster after July. They eiher play well and get traded or they dont and are replaced. Just my two cents

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I think Kubel and Bartlett are trade bait.
    If they are, IMO it's not a great way to build a team. A few years ago you could get something interesting in trade for a spare part that can plug in to a contender; not so much now. To invest two of the 25-man roster spots on the (say) 50/50 chance each of them can be flipped for a C-grade prospect just isn't a good use of those spots; the players need to have those spots because they will help the team while they are part of the team.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't say that I'm happy with the decisions and they certainly didn't go the way I predicted. On Kubel, the metrics look pretty daunting, spring training didn't provide any encouragement. I'm not brokenhearted that he made the team, because there wasn't a lot around that was much better. Bartlett: I never thought he had a chance and his spring performance again was abysmal. He hasn't played very much at any position but shortstop, so trying to make him a super-utility guy is a real stretch. I'd rather have a lot of Rochester guys making the team over Bartlett. Colabello: He will get a chance to DH some, I would guess. FWIW, he did have a good spring and was impressive defensively at first base. However, I don't want to see Colabello try to play outfield and I remain highly skeptical of a supposed power hitter who can't pull the ball with authority.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 516 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can see why Twins fans are not very optimistic about the roster at this point, especially the offensive side of things.

Who knows, this group of guys might surprise us. I have seen much more weird things happen.

I am going to let April play out until I decide whether to watch Twins baseball on an almost daily basis or do something else.

If it is an unwatchable brand of baseball - I will probably join the Mary Kay team or learn how to execute a do it yourself home vasectomy. Extra cash in the pocket is always nice.

Blog Entries
    Commenting on the DFAs: Presley--I had predicted that Alex Presley would be the starting center fielder on 3/31. I had been of the opinion that Presley could hold CF until Hicks showed he was really ready to be a major league regular. He's a fourth OF, nothing more. And his skill set includes not quite enough bat, not quite enough speed and so-so defense. After last year's CF debacle, I stunned the Twins didn't keep him and I'm surprised the 'Stros claimed him. Parmelee--I like what Parmelee did in right field last year. He seems like a good guy, but with his skill set, he's got to be a hitter and he hasn't been a good hitter since his September 2011 audition. He will go to Rochester to try to recapture his "beast mode" performance of 2012, but I don't know if he will ever be back with the Twins. Young guys are coming that will pass him by soon. Diamond--I remarked on another thread that I like Scott Diamond. I realize he has a small margin for error with his pedestrian fastball and so-so breaking pitches, but he has had success before and I think he'll choose free agency rather than going to Rochester. I expect that he'll get another opportunity, maybe more, and that he will again have major league success.

Blog Entries
    I also want to comment on the Twin front office. Antony made a comment a week ago about guys stepping up and I think it was a tactical mistake, especially given that some of the guys that didn't step up made the team anyway.

Secondly, the Twins seem to lose more guys for nothing than any other team. Alex Burnett, Tyler Robertson, Liam Hendriks, Alex Presley, Vance Worley, and Joe Benson come to mind off the top of my head. Not so much that they are letting go the next David Ortiz, but shouldn't they be better at getting something for the guys that don't make the team? Ryan's absence notwithstanding, the Twins front office has a lot of experience, yet they haven't seemed to handle the 40-man roster well at all.

Finally, a note of optimism! Keeping the three thirtysomethings (Colabello, Kubel, and Bartlett) might be the lead up to more youth and talent. The Twins have apparently decided that Presley, Parmelee and Diamond (all supposedly in the prime of their careers) can't cut it and have opted instead for role playing veterans (Colabello--I know) perhaps to help the Arcias, Hickses, Pintos, Gibsons etc. get going and thrive in MLB. The next wave, including top prospects in all of baseball isn't far off. If the younger players I've mentioned thrive this year, at least some of the losing will be worth it.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Overall I'm happy with what happened except for the Bartlett over Presley decision. I'm pretty glad that no one claimed Diamond. Diamond is a bad starter and was never going to make this rotation, but remember that he was generally VERY good through the first 3 or 4 first innings (till the meltdown) in most of his starts. He could be a great reliever if Thielbar comes back into orbit.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I'm pretty glad that no one claimed Diamond.
    Diamond still can opt for free-agency, as of this writing, at least AFAIK. It could turn out that the Twins had no alternative between bring him north or just lose him.

I imagine Diamond's agent is working the phones.

So with the opening day roster apparently set (barring a waiver pickup the next couple days), what is the best case scenario for the Twins? This is based on the assumption that the Twins are not (by some miracle) playoff contenders in 2014.

1. The young (and semi-young) guys in the line-up play well.
    We really need to hope that Pinto, Dozier, Hicks, Arcia, and Gibson show that they belong in the big leagues.

2. A few veterans play well and can be used as trade chips in July.
    It would be great if we could flip Willingham, Corriea, and Burton for anything of value.I'd include Bartlett and Kubel, but that is probably asking way too much!

3. The revamped pitching staff can bring some stability and keep the anemic offense in games.
    If Nolasco, Hughes, and Pelfrey can put together solid seasons, we won't have to go into next off-season looking for as much pitching.

4. The young guys at AAA and AA are ready to contribute at some point in the year.
    If Meyer, May, Tonkin, Rosario, (and maybe Buxton) can get their feet wet at the major league level, they may be ready to be real contributors as soon as next year.

5. Miscellaneous other good news.
    *Mauer is healthy, fresh, and hits 15-20 home runs to go with his .325 batting average.
    *Sano comes back at 100% and hungry to be our 3B next April.
    *The young prospects (Stewart, Berrios, Thorpe, etc.) continue to develop quickly.

If most of those things happen, this just may be a more optimistic place to visit 12 months from now.

18. This user likes TwinsTerritory's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-27-2014)

I think Warren Buffett's billion dollars would have been safe here, too, if there had been a contest on March 1 to predict this roster.

20. This user likes goliath's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-27-2014)

Hate to be a pessimist but...

Honestly, I'm more excited to pay attention to the AAA team and rest of the farm system. Can't wait for the Minor League updates from Seth so we can potentially have something to cheer for.

Also, whenever I hate on the Twins, they do well, whenever I take time off work and spend the money to go to a game, they drop the ball (in most interpretations). Here we go Twins farm, here we go!

Good list, TwinsTerritory.

I think that hits pretty much all the upside anyone could hope for.

Now to see how much of it works out.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 673 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsTerritory View Post
    3. The revamped pitching staff can bring some stability and keep the anemic offense in games.
    If Nolasco, Hughes, and Pelfrey can put together solid seasons, we won't have to go into next off-season looking for as much pitching.
    I predict this will largely be true.....and I have another prediction to go with it:

Bremer and Blyleven are going to run into the ground this familiar meme:

"The pitchers are struggling because there is so much pressure to be perfect when you can't count on more than 1-2 runs from your offense"

Book it.

24. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (03-27-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast