Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Alex Presley claimed off waivers by Astros

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gocgo View Post
    What kind of a message does this send to the guys struggling to make it to the big leagues?

When a guy that didn't play ball last year comes into ST, starts off 0-23 and and finishes with some pathetic batting average and still makes the team, it sends the following message: what you do in ST doesn't matter. it's a good ol' boys club and if you aren't in the club, your going back down to the minors.
    Especially given the inappropriate comments from Antony last week! Not only inappropriate, but BS, given Kubel and Bartlett have been bad and terrible, respectively.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbun View Post
    If nothing else this should serve as a reminder that whatever he may say to the contrary, Gardy gets quite a bit of say about the roster. He might not always get some young guys called up as soon as he might like, but they give him most of what he wants.
    It might be interesting to attempt to add a "say-so" Spring Training curve for the Twins Manager. In actuality, Gardy expressed public discontent that he had had no say-so in the first round of cuts when Meyer and Buxton were sent down, meanwhile implying that his opinion would have more weight heading into this week. Since guys like Meyer and Buxton carry severe implicatiions regarding the starting their service clocks, it's logical that Gardy would have more sway when choosing "good clubhouse" veterans over marginal guys later in the process. I stated back before ST that I expected the Twins would try to sneak Diamond and Parmelee through waivers and that Kubel and Bartlett were going to make the club- Gardy was firmly supportive of the latter 2 throughout the process, and Gibson's performance just forced his hand. But he's also been Florimon's biggest backer, as well, meaning there still isn't a real rationale for having Bartlett around, despite cutting Presley (didn't see that one coming). (Did Arcia preserve his spot with his better play this week?) Conclusion: there's a ML move coming AND/OR Florimon is going on the DL.

3. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    I never really understood "experience in the lineup", when said experienced players are not good. Exactly what skill-set and knowledge is Bartlett bringing to the team that our coaches shouldn't already be able to teach the young players? I can see the arguments merit if we were talking someone like Thome or even a situation like Suzuki to help Pinto with game calling, but Jason Bartlett? C'mon.
    Bumping this-- it's the coaches who might provide the veteran presence or been-there-before leadership. A player hanging around primarily because he's a veteran is redundant and a waste of a spot. Not sure any of this is even debatable.

Interestingly, the 1999-2001 teams never really had that veteran presence, yet still overachieved in 2001 and then went to the ALCS in 2002.

Liked 1,281 Times in 741 Posts
    geez, jokin, you're doing the Twins thing of back to the future.

It's a good post, though, worth reading twice.

And PLEASE let there be a move or two still coming.

6. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So the organizational depth chart for center field has been narrowed down to Buck NinetyTwo, a scrappy tailbattler made of stained glass and soap bubbles, and a guy whose "development takes precedence over organizational need" commandment is written on the stone tablets of the franchise roadmap.

The Rob Ant'ny era is shaping up to be a real barn burner. And the really exciting part is that after the bar-lowering Bill Smith reign of terror, it could go on for years...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Since guys like Meyer and Buxton carry severe implicatiions regarding the starting their service clocks, it's logical that Gardy would have more sway when choosing "good clubhouse" veterans over marginal guys later in the process.
    I'm pretty sure that I learned from the Aaron Hicks debate last March that the service clock is either a figment of our imaginations, or at the very least completely irrelevant, a notion also confirmed by Ryan.

Never mind the fact that the expiration of team control is obviously the elephant in whatever conference room extensions are negotiated in, and that at least one prominent agent has stated off the record that under no circumstances will he even allow his clients to sign extensions, thus making the service clock the sole determination of their entry into free agency.

Sooooo... nothing to see here.

Move along. Move along.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-27-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: 5% snark reduction.

9. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dance with Disco Dan (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Well Twins....let's see what you're doing, because so far this doesn't make much sense.

When it comes to developing talent for the future that talent needs to play. Having youth on your bench makes very little sense if you actually want it to get better and contribute in the future. I am disappointed that Bartlett is currently viewed as our best option and I am disappointed about keeping Kubel over Parmelee but when it comes to a youth movement it either starts at the MLB level or it starts at AAA. It does not sit on your bench. I am concerned about Pinto sitting on the bench but if they actually play him 2 or 3 times a week as they say then it will work out. I actually don't expect Bartlett to come in except as a defensive replacement after someone else pinch hits or perhaps as a pinch runner. Makes no sense to have some young gun on the bench to do that. Hope Parmelee and Diamond both accept AAA and light it up and make the trip up by May and contribute. I think Parmelee would be a massive upgrade defensively in LF over Willingham who clearly can no longer play in the outfield.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Can't get it out of my head.
    That's Electric Light Orchestra, not the Boss.

13. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-27-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    I've never been a huge Presley fan and how he looked in spring training was unimpressive. He isn't excellent in the field and his bat is marginal. I think Maestro or any other center fielder we have in AAA could do just about as well. I don't know why the Astro's want him but they can have him. He is a good 4th outfielder but nothing to get exited about as that is his greatest potential 4th outfielder. Personally I think the Twins are better off without him as there should be an opportunity for someone with more potential to step into that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Huh?

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bruce...glorydays.html

16. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-27-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    While I don't believe that the presence of Kubel and Bartlett wlll actually sell any tickets, I can set an entire ad campaign to Springsteen's "Glory Days". Can't get it out of my head.
    Humming a bit of Culture Club's 'Karma Chameleon' can get almost any song out of my head. The downside is that then Karma Chameleon gets stuck in my head, which is quite a bit like being repeatedly shot in the forehead by a BB gun.

Yeah, Glory Days seems about right, and the sad thing is, the glory days weren't all that glorious.

18. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    I got it.

20. These 2 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-27-2014), Oldgoat_MN (03-27-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    I've never been a huge Presley fan and how he looked in spring training was unimpressive. He isn't excellent in the field and his bat is marginal. I think Maestro or any other center fielder we have in AAA could do just about as well. I don't know why the Astro's want him but they can have him. He is a good 4th outfielder but nothing to get exited about as that is his greatest potential 4th outfielder. Personally I think the Twins are better off without him as there should be an opportunity for someone with more potential to step into that spot.
    Presley's nothing special, but the Twins ended up with him because they got absolutely nothing from the same two guys they're counting on this year.

So there's that.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yes place the younger players on waivers and keep the older players.....what is wrong with this picture? just wow...i can not say in words on how stupid this is

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    So that Morneau trade yielded what?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So that Morneau trade yielded what?
    We're not sure if the pitching part has ever been finalized.

26. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-28-2014), USAFChief (03-27-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Hey that passed through so they aren't all that great.

If Kubel or Bartlett get injured or do poorly, they will get cut and the youngsters will come up.

I'm often oblivious.

29. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-27-2014)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast