Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Presley claimed off waivers by Astros

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is the 40 man roster at right now? 36? 37?

Wonder what they plan on doing with those open spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Toronto is supposedly shopping Colby Rasmus for starting pitching. Crossing my fingers.... Please?
    Egad, no, not that punk, please.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    There's a rumor that Gardy's still peeved at Hicks and is planning on an outfield of Willingham, Kubel and Arcia - what defense!
    I assume this is a joke. Otherwise, you should check whoever told you that rumor for head injuries.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Didn't Mastroianni just injure his wrist similar to Buxton?
    Mastro dove for a ball 2 days ago and hurt his wrist a bit, but today he was out here with a glove. He's not playing in one of the minor league games today, but told me he'll be fine.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Gardy, Bruno and Vavra were in the tower again today watching the minor league games. Gardy was here yesterday as well.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    So they're going with 'flexibility' planning on having both Escobar and Bartlett be super Utility types.

And any offense they can muster With Colabello, Arica, Hicks and Kubel. I get what they're doing, I just wish there was better options to do it with.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Although puzzling, in a sense it is nice to see the new willingness to cut some marginal players even at risk of losing them. I don't really anticipate it being the norm, but that was one of the things many of us were dreading, with rumors of Arcia getting optioned to AAA to keep guys like this around.

What kind of a message does this send to the guys struggling to make it to the big leagues?

When a guy that didn't play ball last year comes into ST, starts off 0-23 and and finishes with some pathetic batting average and still makes the team, it sends the following message: what you do in ST doesn't matter. it's a good ol' boys club and if you aren't in the club, your going back down to the minors.

9. These 4 users like gocgo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Highabove (03-27-2014), JB_Iowa (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014), rickyriolo (03-27-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    mlbtraderumors says Bartlett has been added to 40 man per Phil Miller

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I get the willingness to cut marginal players as being refreshing and all... but... at the expense of a 35 year old middle infielder that is going to be used in the outfield for the first time in his career...? Does not compute.

12. These 2 users like edavis0308's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    It does mean Arcia and Hicks will be playing every day. That's what people were asking for.

14. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (03-27-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by josecordoba View Post
    I have to say that I have no problems with these moves.

1. I'm a bit confused by the Presley thing. Yet a guy like Presley should be fairly easily attainable in the future. If the Twins had Mastro rather then Presley would people really care. The Bartlett obsession is odd, but perhaps Gardy sees some value in the clubhouse that I wouldn't be able to measure. Bartlett on a 70 Win Team for a year is nothing to lose sleep over.

2. Parmelee's projections for a player with his skillset are brutal. He's a below average hitter with limited defensive value.

3. Diamond probably projects as a long-reliever type. They choose Deduno instead who has a better arm. This says nothing about Duensing being a better bullpen option.

I support these moves
    All 3 players performed poorly this spring & are not a big lose but it's still hard to believe they would go with Bartlett & Kubel over them. I mean, those 2 guys have no future beyond now & I can't see them being worth anything in a midseason trade.

Presley has underperformed but now we are stuck with one OF who can play ML level defense & he hasn't proven he can hit. I hope there is some sort of future move coming.

I don't mind the Diamond & Parmelee moves. I'd rather give Colabello a chance over Parmelee . Diamond has been passed by others & Parmelee hasn't ever been able to hit a good fastball.

16. This user likes golfboy1's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    I think this opens the door to bringing in Morales or Drew.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    It's official:

• Dustin Morse ‏@Twins_morsecode 4m
      Jason Bartlett has made the team. He will serve as a super utility. #MNTwins

And it IS insane.

I can only think this means that Gardenhire is under a heck of a lot of pressure to win this year.

Makes me want to barf.

19. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-27-2014), rickyriolo (03-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by golfboy1 View Post
    All 3 players performed poorly this spring & are not a big lose but it's still hard to believe they would go with Bartlett & Kubel over them. I mean, those 2 guys have no future beyond now & I can't see them being worth anything in a midseason trade.

Presley has underperformed but now we are stuck with one OF who can play ML level defense & he hasn't proven he can hit. I hope there is some sort of future move coming.

I don't mind the Diamond & Parmelee moves. I'd rather give Colabello a chance over Parmelee . Diamond has been passed by others & Parmelee hasn't ever been able to hit a good fastball.
    Saying Kubel has no future is a bit disingenuous, he is only a season removed from a 30 HR .833 OPS yeah.

Bartlett...whatever, he sucks now but maybe the Twins see something in him. I still think they end up bringing someone else in for the 25th spot and put Bartlett in AAA
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Diamond -- good riddance. Presley -- showed nothing this spring. Parmalee -- got beat out by Colabello. I don't have a problem with any of those moves.
    Bartlett didn't win the job; Gardy gave it to him. My reaction is, it's time to put Gardy on waivers as well. Don't be choosing incompetent veterans as bench players. If Bartlett is any good, let him prove it in AAA. My hope is, Mastroianni proves it in April and is up here in May.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I think this opens the door to bringing in Morales or Drew.
    Unlike other roster moves, I don't think you have to open up a spot days in advance for these FA.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I can only think this means that Gardenhire is under a heck of a lot of pressure to win this year.
    Unfortunately for him (and for us), I don't think Bartlett is going to provide much help in that regard.

24. This user likes S.'s post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    It's official:

• Dustin Morse ‏@Twins_morsecode 4m
      Jason Bartlett has made the team. He will serve as a super utility. #MNTwins

And it IS insane.

Makes me want to barf.
    The development of guys like Arcia, Hicks, Pinto, Gibson, and Meyer will have way more to do with the Twins won/loss record than Jason Bartlett or Kubel. While I'm not a fan of really having either around, they should ulitmately determine very little regarding Ron Gardenhire's job status.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    It does mean Arcia and Hicks will be playing every day. That's what people were asking for.
    I can't argue with that. Arcia is definitely a stater on a 2015 team. Hicks is either going to be good enough for a corner spot, or traded. But playing him will help us find out which of those two makes the most sense.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast