Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond on Waivers

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

Diamond on Waivers

Twins placed Scott Diamond on wavers this PM according to Mike Bernadino

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    Well, this answers some roster questions at least.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    "I love playing with this organization, but if they don't see it that way, I want to pitch in the major leagues. I'm a major league pitcher. I'm not a minor-league pitcher. Whether the Twins think I am, that's up to them to decide."

Great statement, great quote. With this attitude Diamond will certainly pitch in the majors again somewhere. Best wishes to him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    "I love playing with this organization, but if they don't see it that way, I want to pitch in the major leagues. I'm a major league pitcher. I'm not a minor-league pitcher. Whether the Twins think I am, that's up to them to decide."

Great statement, great quote. With this attitude Diamond will certainly pitch in the majors again somewhere. Best wishes to him.
    Reality begs to differ with Mr Diamond's assesment of his skill set.

6. This user likes savvyspy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mnfireman (03-26-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yet again, this is why I reserve judgment about roster decisions until late March. The Twins are doing what they should to clear roster space for guys with a future in the organization.

Another mediocre arm goes out the door. Progress.

With that said, best of luck to Diamond. I have nothing against him except his performance ceiling.

8. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-26-2014), Trautmann13 (03-26-2014), twinsfan34 (03-26-2014)

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    He was all smiles a couple hours ago. Wonder if he knew then, but hey, he'll get claimed and pitch somewhere.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    I'm thrilled.

11. This user likes birdwatcher's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

savvyspy (03-26-2014)

Well props to the Twins for doing the right thing. Still think its insane keeping duensing when Diamond would have been just as good for a fraction of the price. I have a feeling Burton's going to be awful, so hopefully Tonkin will be taking his place soon.

13. These 2 users like Marta Shearing's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-26-2014), savvyspy (03-26-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    i'm not convinced Diamond will be claimed. If he can't make the Twins starting rotation, where else is there?

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Man, I wanted Diamond to be good. I loved watching him pitch in 2012 and hoping he could continue his success. I really want him to play well, but he just doesn't have the arm for it.

Oh well. With his age and price tag, I'm sure some team will claim him.

This is also very good news for Caleb Thielbar. Looks like the pitching staff is locked in and ready to go now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Once again, I believe this is the right thing to do. With Deduno and Swarzak in the pen, Diamond would have just been dead weight. Gibson earned the 5th spot, which is great because in the recent past we have taken who was less worse than the other pitchers.

17. These 2 users like TKGuy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-26-2014), cmathewson (03-26-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Best of luck to Scott, whether in AAA or MLB. Maybe the Braves will want him back, since his elbow hasn't fallen off this spring.

The pitching staff actually looks competitive. Now some people have to step up at the plate.

19. These 2 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-26-2014), Trautmann13 (03-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So with Diamond being waived....what are the chances that tonkin comes north and Deduno starts and Gibson goes to AAA? I would prefer Tonkin go to AAA and Gibson start howerve

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    So with Diamond being waived....what are the chances that tonkin comes north and Deduno starts and Gibson goes to AAA? I would prefer Tonkin go to AAA and Gibson start howerve
    Tonkin was optioned down to AAA on 3/24.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Well props to the Twins for doing the right thing. Still think its insane keeping duensing when Diamond would have been just as good for a fraction of the price. I have a feeling Burton's going to be awful, so hopefully Tonkin will be taking his place soon.
    Duensing's a sunk cost. Diamond's salary is only guaranteed if he makes the team. Duensing has pitched in relief for several years. Diamond, not so much. Duensing is tough on lefties, again, Diamond, not so much.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

23. These 5 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-26-2014), James (03-26-2014), nicksaviking (03-26-2014), Sconnie (03-26-2014), TKGuy (03-26-2014)

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Duensing's a sunk cost. Diamond's salary is only guaranteed if he makes the team. Duensing has pitched in relief for several years. Diamond, not so much. Duensing is tough on lefties, again, Diamond, not so much.
    I agree with you here, except I don't think they should care about the salary and sunk costs. There is some sunk cost with Diamond too (obvious not as much, but you still have to pay him if he's in AAA).

The key things is, Diamond is not a relief pitcher (at least not yet). Duensing can still be a fairly valuable LOOGY. It's hard to say that about Diamond.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,308 Times in 704 Posts
    Progress is a good thing, nice move.

26. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-26-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Their top 2 pitchers from last year (what they thought were, anyway), cut, 1 year later......
    Lighten up Francis....

Let the Kyle Gibson era begin!

29. These 4 users like MileHighTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-26-2014), James (03-26-2014), mike wants wins (03-26-2014), snepp (03-28-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast