Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Tuesday Notes from Hammond: Pelfrey Pranks and Impending Roster Crunch

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Screwed up Wichita State's karma.

2. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    The Twins ought to remember not to overvalue their players. With any player out of options the question should be "What has the player done recently that would cause someone to claim them?" If you have an answer for that question then ask why isn't that player doing it now.. They could send half of the position players through waivers without a claim.

I agree. Where they are in our organization doesn't mean they would rank anywhere near there in another organization. To me, was anyone going to pick up Kubel? No. Not after his last year and he hasn't torn the cover off the ball in ST. However, we gave him a spot on the team. Parm looks to be the odd man out even though I would take him over Kubel at this point just because of upside. Interestingly enough, Chicago is in the same situation. They are in full rebuilding mode...and yet they resigned Konerko to put butts in the seats while they are forced to send players to the minors who deserve the spot on a rebuilding team.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gocgo View Post
    I agree. Where they are in our organization doesn't mean they would rank anywhere near there in another organization. To me, was anyone going to pick up Kubel? No. Not after his last year and he hasn't torn the cover off the ball in ST. However, we gave him a spot on the team. Parm looks to be the odd man out even though I would take him over Kubel at this point just because of upside. Interestingly enough, Chicago is in the same situation. They are in full rebuilding mode...and yet they resigned Konerko to put butts in the seats while they are forced to send players to the minors who deserve the spot on a rebuilding team.
    And yet I would trade Kubel for Konerko in a heartbeat.

Well, Konerko may actually make sense on our team given our lack of offense, need of a DH, and a legitimate backup for Mauer. Kubel won't add anything on offense above Cola or Parm.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If anyone can even imagine an explanation for counting on Hicks as the Opening Day CF while demoting Arcia I'm dying to hear it, because those two decisions together appear utterly indefensible to me, even for an organization that's made plenty of questionable moves the past few years.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The argument for keeping Parmelee & Diamond over Arcia & Thielbar is straightforward enough - the organization doesn't want to lose guys who looked like real assets just a year ago. That's defendable. It's thin ice for those two, and I suspect it won't last even as long as April.

Here's the thing about Bartlett: if he wasn't done, he'd be a great 13th man. When Florimon needs a pinch hitter, Bartlett can come in without requiring another bench bat, and he's also right-handed. Again, I wonder if it will even take four weeks for the Twins to reconsider.

And Kubel? We'll see. He's a pretty good reason to not lose Parmelee, actually. If he flames out, Parmelee could take over his left-handed bat (maybe alternating with Pinto) or Arcia could bring his right-handed bat to DH.

Bottom line: some guys they hoped would bounce back haven't. All of these guys could have been cool comeback players, and I can understand wanting to give them a few more weeks, especially when all it does is send some guys down for a few weeks.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Daily Admin View Post
    The argument for keeping Parmelee & Diamond over Arcia & Thielbar is straightforward enough - the organization doesn't want to lose guys who looked like real assets just a year ago. That's defendable. It's thin ice for those two, and I suspect it won't last even as long as April.

Here's the thing about Bartlett: if he wasn't done, he'd be a great 13th man. When Florimon needs a pinch hitter, Bartlett can come in without requiring another bench bat, and he's also right-handed. Again, I wonder if it will even take four weeks for the Twins to reconsider.

And Kubel? We'll see. He's a pretty good reason to not lose Parmelee, actually. If he flames out, Parmelee could take over his left-handed bat (maybe alternating with Pinto) or Arcia could bring his right-handed bat to DH.

Bottom line: some guys they hoped would bounce back haven't. All of these guys could have been cool comeback players, and I can understand wanting to give them a few more weeks, especially when all it does is send some guys down for a few weeks.
    IMHO, these are tough calls, despite the Jasons' struggles in the spring. The Twins have pulled the trigger keeping Kubel, so there is really only one spot remaining among the position players. Send Bartlett and Colabello down and keep them ready for a vacancy from injury/poor play. On the pitching side, it seems pretty apparent that Diamond has lost out in the fifth starter derby. Gardy seemed to be indicating that the Twins think he's a major league starter (not a good fit for the bullpen) which would indicate DFA or a trade. I like how Diamond goes about his work, I do think he gets the most from his ability and with a big outfield and rangy defenders, he might again have success. It looks to me like that will be with a different team if it happens.

Twins have to start looking at who will sell some tickets. Arcia definitely will, Hicks will, if not for his defense alone, and Colabello should also if he can replicate his numbers of last year. If they feel a need to keep Parmelee, then Pressley should go down; however, why do we think someone will claim Parmelee? A 1b/OF who doesn't hit should not be considered a valuable commodity, especially when you look at our minor league system which is stacked with younger, more promising versions who will require 40-man roster spots in the near future. Parmelee had one great September, but has done nothing since to justify keeping him.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Twins have to start looking at who will sell some tickets. Arcia definitely will, Hicks will, if not for his defense alone, and Colabello should also if he can replicate his numbers of last year. If they feel a need to keep Parmelee, then Pressley should go down; however, why do we think someone will claim Parmelee? A 1b/OF who doesn't hit should not be considered a valuable commodity, especially when you look at our minor league system which is stacked with younger, more promising versions who will require 40-man roster spots in the near future. Parmelee had one great September, but has done nothing since to justify keeping him.
    Last year was really the only bad year Parmelee had in the organization. In 2012 he was sent down because he wasn't getting enough playing time and he raked in AAA. Not saying he won't flame out but I'd give hime 1 more shot.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Daily Admin View Post
    The argument for keeping Parmelee & Diamond over Arcia & Thielbar is straightforward enough - the organization doesn't want to lose guys who looked like real assets just a year ago. That's defendable.
    Like Worley, you mean?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12