Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Monday Morning Roster Cuts

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not excited about Kubel making the roster, but he has enough history as a decent hitter that I'll let a SSS spring training record not be the deciding factor. I just hope he's on a short leash once the season gets going though. We have to transition to younger guys over mediocre veterans, so Kubel has to produce or move on.

4 players still to go. Rohlfing is one, obviously. Either Bartlett or Presley is another. Scott Diamond/Kyle Gibson/Caleb Thielbar is the 3rd. Parmelee or Colabello is the 4th? My guess is Bartlett is let go, Thielbar is optioned, and Colabello is optioned.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Diamond should be the pitcher to go. I know that Thielbar has options but he had such a great year last year in his role and hasn't disappointed this spring. If the Twins are trying to make the best roster, Diamond is waived (hopefully returns to Rochester) and Thielbar heads north.

It will be tough to figure out which 2 position players head out with Rohlfing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Really only 27 players to worry about. I don't see Bartlett making the team and Rohlfing is just there to play catch.

Congratulations to Pinto. I like our two-car garage catching rotation.

I think Hicks is going to make the team. That should mean two spots for Colabello, Kubel or Parmelee. The last slot comes down to Diamond or Thielbar and Thielbar has options.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What's the difference between being optioned and being reassigned to minor league camp?

Senior Member Triple-A

Kubel or Parmelee?

Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    That should mean two spots for Colabello, Kubel or Parmelee.
    Thinking more, this is really Kubel or Parmelee. Colabello has been hitting well, backs up 1B and platoons with the other DH.

Kubel has a better track record but is nearing the end of his career and is a poor defender. Parmelee hasn't really proven he belongs but still has some potential. This will be a tough call but my guess is Parmelee gets cut.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    What's the difference between being optioned and being reassigned to minor league camp?
    Players who are on a minor league contract are by definition not on the 40 man roster and are just reassigned to minor league camp. Players on the 40 man roster have to stay with the team or can be "optioned" to the minors up to 3 times in their career.

8. This user likes DJL44's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (03-24-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    My guess is Bartlett is let go, Thielbar is optioned, and Colabello is optioned.
    I agree with this.

If Kubel and/or Parmelee stink it up we can cut bait and bring up Colabello. I recall Diamond be okay once through the order and gets shelled the 2nd through. Maybe he can establish himself as a reliever. The only problem with this is that the bullpen will be made up of 3 Long Relievers (Swarzak, Deduno and Diamond).

I am very happy that Pinto has made the team. On a team that can't score, we need his bat. And I think we need Colabello's as well. Not quite sure why we have to worry about losing players without options. If they can't make the Twins 25-man roster why would anyone else claim them? We might just as well open up some 40-man roster spots.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    I'm disappointed that Tonkin was sent down. Not completely surprised, but disappointed. Interesting that it might be a battle between Bartlett and Presley? Not sure what I think of that but seeing the two of them play the last couple of weeks, I'd honestly take Bartlett over Presley. But man, to me when that is your choice, well, hmm.

12. These 2 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (03-24-2014), mike wants wins (03-24-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Thinking more, this is really Kubel or Parmelee. Colabello has been hitting well, backs up 1B and platoons with the other DH.

Kubel has a better track record but is nearing the end of his career and is a poor defender. Parmelee hasn't really proven he belongs but still has some potential. This will be a tough call but my guess is Parmelee gets cut.
    While I agree that Colabello should head North, he is the one most likely to get optioned just because the can with out risking losing anybody.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    I'm sad, this looks like a bad team at this point.

15. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (03-24-2014)

I'm not sure if my comment was deleted the other day but I vented a little bit about Gardy and his enabling tendencies. I don't think I said anything inappropriate but here it goes again. Gardy still has Bartlett on the roster...why? Because he's a "veteran" and he's comfortable with him. He does this far too often and I'm getting so frustrated with it. I miss the days of Tom Kelly where he drops guys to the minors for not doing the little things (sac flies, sac bunts, hitting the other way, etc.). Veterans are given far too much leeway in comparison to the youngsters and the veterans barely get blamed in comparison as well. If he really bats Suzuki second, I will be very, very disappointed.

So, you want to keep Kubel on the roster? Fine, I get it. He's two years removed from good production. Colabello deserves a spot with his production. Parmalee should be traded or be attempted to sneak through waivers. I'm just getting so sick of Gardy's unwillingness to adjust to modern baseball strategies (platooning, sabermetrics, etc.). Gardy is far too old school and in my opinion, this needs to be his last year.

Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Not excited about Kubel making the roster, but he has enough history as a decent hitter that I'll let a SSS spring training record not be the deciding factor. I just hope he's on a short leash once the season gets going though. We have to transition to younger guys over mediocre veterans, so Kubel has to produce or move on.

4 players still to go. Rohlfing is one, obviously. Either Bartlett or Presley is another. Scott Diamond/Kyle Gibson/Caleb Thielbar is the 3rd. Parmelee or Colabello is the 4th? My guess is Bartlett is let go, Thielbar is optioned, and Colabello is optioned.
    I agree that its a 3 battle scenario to go. Bartlett vs Presley, Diamond vs Theilbar vs (Gibson I guess), Parmelee vs Kubel

Of these I would keep Presley, Diamond and Gibson and the last one is a toss up but probably Kubel. Theilbar deserves to come north but this way we keep another potential starter a little while longer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Bartlett vs Presley
    Bartlett makes little sense in the OF compared to Presley. Presley complements Hicks as a platoon and has much more defensive experience in the OF than Bartlett.

The Twins could grab another 4th OF off waivers from another team or make a trade (Diamond for De Aza?).
    Last edited by DJL44; 03-24-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I think the Twins come to their senses and reassign Kubel.

I'm glad the Twins aren't going with three catchers, but there will still be some linering hesitation by Gardy to pinch hit Pinto, so I think Colabello is nearly a given now as a RH bench option. That would leave one spot for Kubel or Parmelee, and while Kubel has history here, Parmelee has a long track record with this organization as well, I don't think they lose him simply to give the under-performing Kubel a token roster spot.

I agree with most everyone else that Bartlett and Tonkin also get the pink slips.

Gardy still has Bartlett on the roster...why? Because he's a "veteran" and he's comfortable with him. He does this far too often and I'm getting so frustrated with it. I miss the days of Tom Kelly where he drops guys to the minors for not doing the little things (sac flies, sac bunts, hitting the other way, etc.).
    Do we know Gardy has made this call? I think it's quite likely that FO listens to Gardy's recommendation but doesn't always make the call he wants. Several of these cuts, IMO, don't look like a Gardy call.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Here's a fun idea. The Yankees have said Ichiro is available and is willing to be a LH hitting 4th OF. I'd deal Diamond for Ichiro if the Yankees pay half the salary.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    Gardy still has Bartlett on the roster...why? Because he's a "veteran" and he's comfortable with him. He does this far too often and I'm getting so frustrated with it. I miss the days of Tom Kelly where he drops guys to the minors for not doing the little things (sac flies, sac bunts, hitting the other way, etc.). Veterans are given far too much leeway in comparison to the youngsters and the veterans barely get blamed in comparison as well.
    Well they gave Guerrier his walking papers. I was always under the impression that Gardy loved Guerrier. Seems like that would contradict this belief.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chris Herrmann being optioned was the surprise for me. With all of Gardy's talk about flexibility and having a versatile bench, I thought Herrmann was a sure bet to make the team.

I've given up fretting over Kubel making the team. I'd start with Colabello as the DH and allow Kubel to heat up in AAA before giving him the job, but I guess the coaching staff / front office feels Kubel can and will heat up. I'll defer to their judgement on that one.

I'll be interested to see if the Twins snag someone else's 4th OF off of waivers or if they are willing to use Bartlett as a super utility player. I just don't feel like Presley is making the team after his poor spring.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast