Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Josmil Pinto and Enabling Ron Gardenhire

Article: Josmil Pinto and Enabling Ron Gardenhire

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good read. Would be ok with Pinto here or in AAA, just as long as he's playing as much as he can handle. If 'sitting next to Steiny' and watching baseball instead of playing it had much educational value, then my question as owner or president would be "Why weren't you guys doing that with him in the offseason using game tapes?"

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Good read. Would be ok with Pinto here or in AAA, just as long as he's playing as much as he can handle. If 'sitting next to Steiny' and watching baseball instead of playing it had much educational value, then my question as owner or president would be "Why weren't you guys doing that with him in the offseason using game tapes?"
    I agree with this. I have coached baseball and basketball at the high school level and younger, played many sports and followed college and professional sports. It has generally been easier for me to learn by doing rather than watching or listening. That seems to be true for most other people I have coached or observed as well. Sure, everyone benefits from coaching but in the long run you have get out and figure out things for your self.

Having experienced catchers like Mauer and Steiny telling you things about calling a game is great. Eventually, though you just have to go out there and figure out how to call they game, work with the different pitchers, get along with the various umpires, in your own way. Pinto will likely benefit most from getting behind the plate, making some mistakes but learning from them.

I believe I read, probably on this site, that the Twins have a lot of off days in April. I haven't checked a schedule, but if you combine that with probable lost games due to cold, snow, or rain and the Twins desire to begin the season with Suzuki as the primary catcher, well I don't want Pinto sitting on the bench for most of the first month of the season. So I won't be upset if Pinto begins the year in AAA.

If Gardy sends down both Parmelee and Colabello, then our backup first baseman must be Plouffe with Escobar at third. In my opinion, Colabello earned a place on this team, and sending him down is criminal. Are we really to think that Hermann would be a better bat off the bench than Colabello? This will be a painful offense to watch this season.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lukingood View Post
    If Gardy sends down both Parmelee and Colabello, then our backup first baseman must be Plouffe with Escobar at third. In my opinion, Colabello earned a place on this team, and sending him down is criminal. Are we really to think that Hermann would be a better bat off the bench than Colabello? This will be a painful offense to watch this season.
    While I am not in favor of Herrmann making the club, he does add versatility and has had a nice spring himself. I believed that Colabello failed his tryout last year and wouldn't be looked at seriously to make the club this spring, but he has stepped forward and some have stepped backward. It should be noted that most of his lusty hitting was early and off minor leaguers (Luke Hughes anyone?).

This fear of losing his DH obsession makes my brain go numb. Its so illogical. On a team this offensively inept, how can ANYONE rationalize not having his bat in the lineup everyday? Everyone seems to over-analyze this to death, when it should be so simple. He's probably the second best hitter on this team. Watching him at the plate its obvious he's up there with a plan. He's not wildly flailing like Arcia. He should do an 80/20 DH to catching ratio until he proves he's not ready to hit at this level. But the thought of sending him to Rochester so he can play everyday is absurd because he could easily play everyday here and help them win games.

LEN3 said today "With Herrmann on the team, Gardenhire said he could use Josmil Pinto as a designated hitter at times.

`Would you like to see Pinto hit more?' Gardenhire asked."

Sooo… seems to be he's considering the proposal you're making here. I'd rather have Hermann on the team than Colabello if it means more at bats for Pinto. I like Colabello 'n all and his story but he's not really much of a major leaguer IMO. Especially if he's stuck on always going the other way, not what is needed from a right handed hitter in TF.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    This is ridiculous. Catch Pinto twice a week. DH him twice a week. That's plenty of AB's. The odds of Suzuki getting hurt in the 50 games Pinto DH's is unlikely. If it does happen, for pete's sake we have a 1B who's caught a few hundred games. Having him catch a few innings in an emergency is not a problem. Good lord.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    “I’m not looking for a DH candidate in a catcher,” says Gardenhire. “I need two catchers. If I have that then I’m going to need three catchers and I don’t want to do that.”

Honestly, does he think the sky will fall if a pitcher touches a bat?
    Wow.

How many times has this scenario come to pass in the last 10 years.
    Twice?

Last edited by Oldgoat_MN; 03-23-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Overly appalled by our manager.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 336 Times in 165 Posts
    Gardy and his no DH, for at most a few innings, worry is one of the silliest things ever to come out of his mouth.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    It appears Chris Herrmann will be doing his enabling from Rochester. I'm pretty sure that means Pinto makes the team.

I do believe that what Gardy is trying to do is have Pinto stay up and likely will split time with Suzuki dpending on matchups. Try to ease him in instead of throwing him to the wolves - did not work with Hicks, etc.....

Logically this makes a fair amount of sense as if he catches 3 games a week and can pinch hit here and there he will learn the pitchers and continue to work on his catching with Stieny. I am sure everyone sat down and this was a "team" decision.

What I see that Pinto will be catching 60-70% by the all star break and Suzuki will be the backup which is what he really is here for.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Pinto should ultimately be the starting catcher, some time this year. But there's no rush. When he is ready, he'll get his opportunity. Probably in June. As for the DH thing, it is silly. But it isn't just about losing the DH when he subs for Suzuki. It's also about wear and tear. He likes to give his catchers full days off. If he uses his catchers as the DH, he thinks they'll wear down faster, probably because he saw that with both Doumit and Mauer. I still thinks it's strange when we're talking about a 25 year old. But that's at least part of his rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    It appears Chris Herrmann will be doing his enabling from Rochester. I'm pretty sure that means Pinto makes the team.
    And sits 4-5 games a week.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I agree that Pinto should ultimately be the starting catcher, some time this year. But there's no rush. When he is ready, he'll get his opportunity. Probably in June. As for the DH thing, it is silly. But it isn't just about losing the DH when he subs for Suzuki. It's also about wear and tear. He likes to give his catchers full days off. If he uses his catchers as the DH, he thinks they'll wear down faster, probably because he saw that with both Doumit and Mauer. I still thinks it's strange when we're talking about a 25 year old. But that's at least part of his rationale.
    So you're saying Gardy is worried pinto will wear down DH'ing five games a week and catching two? I don't think swinging the bat and running the bases is especially grueling.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    So you're saying Gardy is worried pinto will wear down DH'ing five games a week and catching two? I don't think swinging the bat and running the bases is especially grueling.
    First of all, he'll catch more than that. Second, Suzuki will not DH. Beyond that, I did say it seemed silly. I'm just paraphrasing what Gardy said.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    This is ridiculous. Catch Pinto twice a week. DH him twice a week. That's plenty of AB's. The odds of Suzuki getting hurt in the 50 games Pinto DH's is unlikely. If it does happen, for pete's sake we have a 1B who's caught a few hundred games. Having him catch a few innings in an emergency is not a problem. Good lord.
    Don't go making sense .....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BD57 View Post
    Don't go making sense .....
    Don't mind if I do

19. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 389 Times in 204 Posts
    Under no scenario should Mauer be considered an emergency catcher.

Pinto will be catching 4-5 days a week come may 15th, book it

The confusing thing is if defense is the reason Pinto isnt the starting catcher, how is he supposed to improve his defense sitting on the bench? I could justify him making the team if he was the everyday DH, but as backup catcher? Twins fans should feel very betrayed that a terrible player like Kubel is not only stealing money, but stealing playing time from our young players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast