Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Roster Projection 4.0

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ppearson50 View Post
    With our almost non existent offense and Hermann now a possibility to take a roster spot going North, this would seem like a good time to sign Kendry Morales or Stephen Drew.
    How about both? Since both Arcia and Florimon have options, they could both be signed without disrupting or endangering current players on the Twins roster bubble. Arcia can get called up as soon as Kubel shows it isn't working out, or even if Kubel does work out, when they inevitably trade Willingham.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-23-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Morales supposedly turned down both a one year and a multi year offer from Seattle but they are probably trying to lowball him. It seems like both Drew and Morales have just about no interest in them at all right now. What a weird situation for two guys who both turned down $14 million one year deals months ago. I'm sure having Boras as your agent makes life interesting.

I think the pitching will be better but it looks like to me the offense will be worse, possibly a lot worse.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Nick - who is your backup first baseman in this arrangement? Hopefully won't need one often, but the only one has played a single inning at the position, minors or majors, except Mauer, is Willingham, who has a total of four innings there, none since 2009.
    Although Hermann has taken some reps at 1B this spring, Trevor Plouffe will be the likely backup First Baseman in this Hermann-makes-it scenario. He played there in 2011 at Roc. and has played at 1B with the Twins in games last year, 2012, and 2011.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-23-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not certain Presley is a lock. Escobar and Parmelee played in CF the last two days. Presley offers below average defense in center. It would be upgrade over a Escobar, but will it be worth a spot on the bench?

He would be on my bench, but I would be watching the waiver wire.

I think Parmelee or Colabello make the roster. It could be for a catcher or possibly Kubel. They should cut ties with Kubel. It is so easy to think that signing a guy like Kubel to a minor league contract has no downside. The downside is when he takes the roster spot or playing time from developing younger players.

6. These 2 users like jorgenswest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-23-2014), jokin (03-23-2014)

It just scares me when we are talking about a bench of Presley, Hermann, Escobar and Pinto, with Pinto being the only one with a decent statline the last two years. I would hate to see Colabello not make it because of three catchers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I think Parmelee or Colabello make the roster. It could be for a catcher or possibly Kubel. They should cut ties with Kubel. It is so easy to think that signing a guy like Kubel to a minor league contract has no downside. The downside is when he takes the roster spot or playing time from developing younger players.
    That is a great point. I also hate the phrase proven anything. It can be proven that Kubel was a worthwhile player at some point in the past but it can also be proven that he hit .216 last year. I was not opposed to signing Kubel and there should be no downside. Send him to the minors and let him "prove" there that he belongs. I believe it has already been established that he is willing to do that.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'll be sad if we have to cut ties with Parmelee.
    I was thinking this too. If Parm is not on the roster and Bartlet, Kubel, or Herrman (as the 3rd C)are, there's something seriously wrong here.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    That is a great point. I also hate the phrase proven anything. It can be proven that Kubel was a worthwhile player at some point in the past but it can also be proven that he hit .216 last year. I was not opposed to signing Kubel and there should be no downside. Send him to the minors and let him "prove" there that he belongs. I believe it has already been established that he is willing to do that.
    I guess it depends on what your read, but everything I've read has indicated that Kubel turned down major league offers to sign with the Twins. I haven't found a Twins beat writer yet who isn't operating on the presumption that Kubel is on the opening day roster.

On a realated note, we have been having discussions on other threads noting that Arcia has looked bad in the OF and has a 33% K rate this spring. Might he be the one ticketed to Rochester for more seasoning and awaiting the next roster opening?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I am not certain Presley is a lock. Escobar and Parmelee played in CF the last two days. .
    I would love to see a Willingham, Parmelee and Arcia or Kubel Outfield. I bet so would the Twins' pitchers...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Kubel and Bartlett *might* have something left in the tank. maybe.
    But this team is not competing, so it makes ZERO sense to still have either of them even in a position to possibly claim a roster slot. Colabello and Parmelee both have far more potential than Kubes. I thought scholarships were a thing of the past.

I hate to say it fellas, cuz I love the Twins, but I see us losing a lot of games. Im guessing a lot of 5-1 or 6-2 games. We aren't going to score a lot of runs. Hurry up and heal Sano!

Quote Originally Posted by boomerb5 View Post
    Kubel and Bartlett *might* have something left in the tank. maybe.
    But this team is not competing, so it makes ZERO sense to still have either of them even in a position to possibly claim a roster slot. Colabello and Parmelee both have far more potential than Kubes. I thought scholarships were a thing of the past.
    Not in the Twins clubhouse. We need youth. Youth equals excitement. This roster is stale! I wish I could be more positive, but hard to do. Im a realist. Half of our players wouldn't start for 97% of other clubs.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Hermann is just a head scratcher. Escobar can be an emergency C for a couple of innings - that's part of what he brings to the Util role.

There needs to be a competent back up for Mauer at 1B (if he is going to spelled here and there at DH or the odd day off). The bench also needs a late innings PH threat off the bench. Ideally you combine those two roles, and handily the Twins a few options in that regard. Sadly one of them is not Hermann. Parmalee or Colabello both work here - choose your poison, I don't have a strong view either way - but for God's sake don't sacrifice the overall versatility of the team/bench because your blinded by the apparent versatility of one bits and pieces player who doesn't (yet) bring any upgrade in skills to the roster.
    Last edited by SydneyTwinsFan; 03-23-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If a roster with 3 catchers, a lineup 4 or more days a week with Suzuki batting second, and another 90-loss season isn't enough to get Gardenhire fired, then the organization is doomed to fail until there's a complete front office purge.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and If they really go with 3 catchers all season and the over/under on the total number of times this year that Willingham and Kubel have a catcher pinch run for them is set at 10, I'm putting 20 on the over.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-23-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I'd rather have Thielbar and cut ties with either Duensing or Diamond (or both and add Tonkin).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am okay with the bullpen Nick has listed. I would rather have Thiebar then Diamond, but I would rather have Deduno then Tonkin. If Diamond is horrific in the pen then send him down and if he doesnt clear waivers then oh well, so be it, and bring up Thiebar. If a start is injured/falters, put in Deduno and call up Tonkin. I would rather see Colobello then Kubel, nostalgia aside. Kubel is on a minor league deal so he can be optioned. I would like to keep Parmalee if possible but but then but I think that makes the roster weaker not in just his spot but a couple other spots as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I would love to see a Willingham, Parmelee and Arcia or Kubel Outfield. I bet so would the Twins' pitchers...
    I don't want to see it either, but I am not sure Presley is a lock.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Oh, and If they really go with 3 catchers all season and the over/under on the total number of times this year that Willingham and Kubel have a catcher pinch run for them is set at 10, I'm putting 20 on the over.
    Can you put me down for the "versatile" Chris Hermann getting 19 of those 20?

22. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-23-2014)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast