Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Roster Projection 4.0

Why don't they trade a reliever or two?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Nick, it looks like you have a pretty good grasp on how this roster situation is going to play out. Just a week or so ago, there was lots of speculation that a potential trade was in the works for near the close of ST. Did you hear enough in your time in Ft. Myers to rate the current chances of such a deal going down by March 31?

Will be watching Parmelee's production if he is picked up by another team who's patient with him and gives him a legitimate opportunity ... If he puts up Garrett Jones type numbers, I will then compare those numbers to the half season of sub-.700 OPS (sub-.500 vs lefties) that will likely come from Kubel and continue scratching my head.

Member Single-A
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello, Thielbar, Tonkin yes please. All three are better than other options. Not a big fan of playing the who has options game. I prefer putting the best 25 out there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikecurveball View Post
    Colabello, Thielbar, Tonkin yes please. All three are better than other options. Not a big fan of playing the who has options game. I prefer putting the best 25 out there.
    Absolutely! Retaining underperformers on the active roster because they are out-of-options runs counter to common sense as well as to spending mega-millions on free-agent pitchers whose sole purpose is to reduce the heavy-losing. Tonkin and to a lesser extent Thielbar strengthen a bullpen and will contribute to a few more wins over the season. Diamond's value is as a starter/long-relief/mop-up duty. He hasn't got "it" as a starter, and the long-relief roles have proven players already on-board.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would hope that Colabello beats out Kubel.

And the bullpen could be bad. We have no idea how Deduno and Diamond would actually do there. Thielbar and Tonkin are obviously better options, but they have options.

I do not get Gardy's fascination with Kubel or Bartlett, especially Bartlett. Twins are going to stink this year, so might as well play kids. When Bartlett got his first hit, a buddy and I were kidding that was the clinch for Bartlett to make the team.

Earlier this week the Twins brass were complaining that players weren't earning spots. Colabello has certainly earned his and if they decide to keep Kubel instead then they are sending a mixed message. I have always liked Kubel, but he is not the future of the Twins and has done nothing to indicate he should be part of the present. I will be very disappointed if Colabello does not go north with the team...my only consolation is that I will get to watch him here in Rochester.

10. This user likes Since71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-23-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll be disappointed if Colabello isn't on the opening day roster, but Kubel is a proven veteran. I definitely understand him being on the roster regardless of his numbers.

If Pinto makes it, he needs to play 5 days a week... Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Seth, would you rather have Pinto start out at AAA? Just curious what your thoughts are on that. I agree if he does not play 5 days a week(which I hope he does) then he should be playing catcher every day in Rochester.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They should see if Colabello can catch an inning or two in an emergency so we can send Hermann down. I don't think the third string catcher will be as big a deal if they have a hitter on the bench that can pinch hit which would be Colabello if he makes the team.

Sending down the players with options and keeping the players out of options does make the team better as a hole in the long run. In the short run no but if there are injuries throughout the season we will have better depth to handle them this way. while right now a player is hot that doesn't mean they are the superior player. If Colabello could sudo platoon with Kubel that would be a boost to our offense. But I guess Pinto is going to do that. I hope they work out a trade for some of our cast off pitchers. I think Guerrier is also I viable option after a few more weeks of pitching.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    I'll be sad if we have to cut ties with Parmelee.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    They should see if Colabello can catch an inning or two in an emergency so we can send Hermann down. I don't think the third string catcher will be as big a deal if they have a hitter on the bench that can pinch hit which would be Colabello if he makes the team.

Sending down the players with options and keeping the players out of options does make the team better as a hole in the long run. In the short run no but if there are injuries throughout the season we will have better depth to handle them this way. while right now a player is hot that doesn't mean they are the superior player. If Colabello could sudo platoon with Kubel that would be a boost to our offense. But I guess Pinto is going to do that. I hope they work out a trade for some of our cast off pitchers. I think Guerrier is also I viable option after a few more weeks of pitching.
    The Twins already have an emergency catcher in Escobar. The Twins do need another RH bat, with or without Pinto, especially one that can PH, and spell Mauer or a corner OF for occasional days off. Not necessarily expecting great things from Colabello, but Hermann adds even less dimension to the already-anemic offense

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's about right. Herrmann will likely make it because of his versatility and because he leads the existing camp in OPS. I see a 3 way battle between Kubel, Parmelee and Colabello, for one spot, with Colabello the likely winner (unless they buy the "proven veteran" thing with Kubel. Remember, Yesterday Eddie was a 'proven veteran' when the Twins traded a Hamburger for him, so Capps was a "proven closer".)

I have a hard time seeing Diamond on the pen. He just cannot get lefties out. I think that at this point, Diamond, Tonkin, Fien, Thielbar and Matt Guerrier (another 'proven veteran') will be fighting for 2 spots.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    It's been said a million times but the Twins already have an emergency catcher playing 1B. If that is absolutely not a possibility, then be a normal team and let the pitcher hit or pinch hit for him in the one freakin' game all year where that situation MAY come into play. Shrinking your bench by one bat for 161 games simply to guard against that situation is beyond shortsighted.

Herrmann, Pinto and Suzuki should make it based on production, not as a 100-1 emergency insurance.

18. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (03-24-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (03-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Chris Parmelee is the victim of a roster squeeze, and could be lost because he's out of options. It simply doesn't make sense to carry both Kubel and Parmelee, and all indications are that Kubel is in.
    What indications? Are there quotes from the decision makers that indicate he's likely won a spot?

The reason I ask is that I've been watching this spring, and as far as I can tell, all indications are that he's been brutal.

With our almost non existent offense and Hermann now a possibility to take a roster spot going North, this would seem like a good time to sign Kendry Morales or Stephen Drew.

The front office has to be feeling at least a little pressure to add offense either by a trade or a signing. You would think.

Nick - who is your backup first baseman in this arrangement? Hopefully won't need one often, but the only one has played a single inning at the position, minors or majors, except Mauer, is Willingham, who has a total of four innings there, none since 2009.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast