Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins To Name Gibson Fifth Starter

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 850 Times in 546 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    Count me as shocked also, but I love Deduno in the bullpen. Does that mean Pressly gets sent down? Gibson certainly earned it, along with Hicks.
    I think you nailed it. Barring some unlikely trade for RPs like Burton and Duensing, guys with options like Pressly and T-Bar are likely to get sent in favor of Deduno, and maybe even Diamond.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Deduno setting up all year. He really adds a new dimension to the bullpen.
    Sometimes I just do not understand the Deduno love

Did you check his appearance last night? I would have a hard time to think that a guy who is prone to throw the wild pitch should be in close situations, esp. with runners at third base or at second with one out.

Deduno's track record (despite all the love) is just not there...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is spring training but it was a competition and Gibson clearly outpitched Worley and Diamond. Certainly, Deduno has also pitched well, but as pointed out above, he's not completed a season yet and he is 30 years old.

Let's face it, there are no sure things in the rotation. Nolasco and Correia have been very durable, but often without great results. Pelfrey is coming off a poor season while recovering from TJ and Hughes is coming off a bad season in the Big Apple. The odds of all staying healthy and pitching well enough to stay in the rotation is pretty high.

Meyer, Deduno and others will get starts. I personally haven't given up on Diamond, although he hasn't pitched that well this spring. I do see that his ceiling isn't that high and if he is lost there are three lefties in Rochester with similar profiles.

Assuming it happens this way, I love the move. I've always thought Deduno would be better in the bullpen due to his high pitch counts. Gibson has the best chance of being in our rotation if/when we are a contender. It's time to see what he has.
    Side note: I put a 100 bones on the twins winning the world series today. I'm a sucker for a long shot

5. These 2 users like dgwills's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (03-21-2014), benchwarmerjim (03-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    This is great news. With the will they/won't they saga regarding his call up last year, he was beginning to get kind of a "savior" tag. He shouldn't have to play with those expectations now.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    My guess would be Deduno is more likely to assume a long man role in the pen than a setup role. Seems more suited to that role to me, and keeps him a little more stretched out and closer to a return to the rotation when an opening occurs, which is almost a given.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

8. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JDW (03-21-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    My guess would be Deduno is more likely to assume a long man role in the pen than a setup role. Seems more suited to that role to me, and keeps him a little more stretched out and closer to a return to the rotation when an opening occurs, which is almost a given.
    This.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A few thoughts.

This is not only exciting, but the right move. He needs to be in MLB. This spring he looks the part. Also, this is a transition year, building to something, and you can't move forward if always looking over your shoulder.

Deduno looked mortal the other night, can't be perfect every time, but has had a good spring, following a good, occasionally great 2013 and OK 2012. Seems to have shown himself to be a legitimate late bloomer. I am shocked he hasn't received a start yet this ST. Not only based on what he did last season, or how he's pitched so far, but also due to comments made previously by Gardy and Ryan. I HAVE to believe this is a two-fold plan. 1-despite being healthy and throwing well, it allows the team to watch and build his shoulder with no rush. 2-it allows the team time to monitor Gibson and the rest of the rotation and have another SP to slide in when/if necessary. Possibly due to future trade.

I have nothing against Correia. Having him as a 4th starter is NOT a bad thing. If he throws as well as last year, with better all around support and play from the team, he can be solid, eat innings, and even win some games. But, he just doesn't fit in to long term plans. Now, with so many teams suddenly hurting in their rotations, or a month or so in, I'd like to see him moved and Deduno in the rotation. He's talented enough, more than Correia, has some upside, is younger, and has a small price tag. He CAN be part of the Twins next evolution, even for a couple of years.

Stinks for Tonkin, who has nothing left to prove, is part of our future, deserves a spot, and hopefully won't have to wait long for a promotion back up where he belongs.

I have always disagreed with those who are anti-Duensing. He's done whatever is asked of him without complaint. Mostly, when allowed to just stay in the pen, he's been solid. No he hasn't had the best ST so far. But when dealing with a veteran, you not only make a few allowances for past production, but you also wonder if results in ST are more the result of just getting in work, and working specifically on certain aspects.

Diamond has been erratic this spring. He's shown nothing special or consistent. Hey, I was rooting for him last season and this ST. But what has he shown to make anyone confident? Yes Duensing allowed 3 runs to score in relief, but are we really going to ignore the fact that Diamond walked THREE batters to load the bases in the 5th before being relieved? How is that acceptable? So he should have a spot in the pen over someone like Thielbar who pitched great last year, is having an excellent spring, and is a better piece to build the future? Like Tonkin, he has riven himself thus far, deserves a spot, and if sent down, will hopefully be back soon.

Yuck. Deduno is the only one of the seven who I actually look forward to watching start. Looks like a summer's worth of dvr-ing games to watch offensive halves of innings.
    I see the value in all these guys, but I literally have no interest in actually watching any member of the rotation.
    I haven't felt that way about a Twins rotation since I started following the team as a grown-up (2000.)
    Lame.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Gibson won that competition, so good for him. Deduno never was in it. We'll need long relief this year and that's where he should help til we need him in the rotation.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Yep. He needs to be "less than a phone call away".

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Well I hope that Antony comment was just in the spirit of keeping up the competition and not a sign of throwing rain on my Gibson parade.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 03-22-2014 at 06:05 AM.

15. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-21-2014), twinsnorth49 (03-21-2014)

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds right.

Fans of most organizations would be asking 'How many other teams use two bullpen slots on long relievers who can give you two good innings per appearance instead of one great one?'

Twins fans wonder how many other teams need two.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'm happy for Gibson and excited for him to reach his potential. If he does... He will be a big boost for this club.

However... I still think Deduno has the potential to be our best starter in 2014. I think he has the stuff to be.
    I'm with RB on Deduno. I also believe he has the potential to be our best starting pitcher this season.

This shouldn't be an equation that hurts Gibson's chances - he should have a spot, he's earned it. It is a political decision more or less based on the shoe-in spots given to Correia and Pelfrey.

Oh well, I can live with it. My guess is that Samuel makes a fare amount of starts this season.

Depth is a good thing.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree. And to speculate, I wonder if the club will try to trade Swarzak. I believe he's got a good enough track record the last two years to find a willing trade partner.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    This.

Only this.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Sounds right.

Fans of most organizations would be asking 'How many other teams use two bullpen slots on long relievers who can give you two good innings per appearance instead of one great one?'

Twins fans wonder how many other teams need two.
    My reaction was more "only ​two"?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick's notebook from today confirms this.
    Last edited by cmathewson; 03-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guess would be Deduno is more likely to assume a long man role in the pen than a setup role.
    The long man role has an element as a fireman coming in with men on base. He might let too many inherited runners score while he gets comfortable, then go on to shut them down for some innings with the damage already done. OTOH the setup role won't let him get enough innings to really make a mark. And the long man is often the swing man for the odd start here and there. A dilemma.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The long man role has an element as a fireman coming in with men on base. He might let too many inherited runners score while he gets comfortable, then go on to shut them down for some innings with the damage already done. OTOH the setup role won't let him get enough innings to really make a mark. And the long man is often the swing man for the odd start here and there. A dilemma.
    Possible answer to the dilemma? Randy Johnson was coming back from a season-long injury back in the late 90s with the Mariners. It was only 6 games or so (one against the Twins), but Johnson was a game-changer in a role coming in in relief and dominating 3-4 middle innings in close games. Deduno is definitely a very good pitcher his first time or so through a lineup- no reason he couldn't try out that role for potentially up to twice a week or so. Most of Swarzak's long relief innings are in low-leverage situations. I think Deduno might be able to handle a slightly heavier load than that.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast