Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins To Name Gibson Fifth Starter

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Rare occasion where spring training is used to earn a spot. Ideally this does happen rarely. I would have thought they would stretch Deduno out more. I wonder if this was actual midrange planning. Since they tend to give the rotation plenty of starts (Worley was given 10 last year) to prove things one way or another I wonder if their plan is to make Meyer the first option to replace a failed starter. I hope they all pitch so well there is no place for Meyer but my bet is on Correia. I am hoping it is not Hughes or Gibson.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    Shocked! And ecstatic to be wrong about this........huzzah for another reason to tune in to this team!!!

3. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-21-2014)

if you are serious about being a champion, you have to make this move. I hope the rotation saws wood till the lumber catches up. Who knows maybe we have a pennant race!!!!

5. This user likes highlander's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (03-23-2014)

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Like that Gibson made it, tough to see Deduno get snubbed though. His stats over the past 2 seasons suggest he should crack this starting 5 easily plus his stuff just looks nasty, but he doesn't have the big name or the big contract. I'm sure he'll get some starts though eventually one way or another.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    if you are serious about being a champion, you have to make this move. I hope the rotation saws wood till the lumber catches up. Who knows maybe we have a pennant race!!!!
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...a pennant race?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Who knows maybe we have a pennant race!!!!
    Check the score of today's Nolasco start in Ft Myers before sending in your deposit on playoff tickets.

9. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (03-21-2014)

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm happy to see the front office take the best pitcher regardless of risk of losing an asset. I wonder how Worley, Diamond, and Deduno pan out. Worley and Deduno seem to have the most trade value.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by highlander

Playoffs?

http://www.bleachernation.com/2012/0...mora-playoffs/

12. These 2 users like tobi0040's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-21-2014), Tibs (03-23-2014)

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I'm happy to see the front office take the best pitcher regardless of risk of losing an asset. I wonder how Worley, Diamond, and Deduno pan out. Worley and Deduno seem to have the most trade value.
    I see Worley was waived. Never mind

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    Like that Gibson made it, tough to see Deduno get snubbed though. His stats over the past 2 seasons suggest he should crack this starting 5 easily plus his stuff just looks nasty, but he doesn't have the big name or the big contract. I'm sure he'll get some starts though eventually one way or another.
    Initially, I thought the fifth starter job would go to Deduno but upon further thought, this makes more sense...

Starting off the season with Gibson as the fifth starter gives him regular innings in the majors, something Kyle badly needs to succeed in the long-term.

Deduno, on the other hand, is more experienced and should be able to shift from long relief to spot-starting without much difficulty, plus it mitigates some of his injury risk.

I don't think either option is a bad one but I am happy to see the front office show confidence in Kyle.

15. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (03-22-2014)

Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm happy for Gibson and excited for him to reach his potential. If he does... He will be a big boost for this club.

However... I still think Deduno has the potential to be our best starter in 2014. I think he has the stuff to be.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

17. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (03-21-2014), Reider (03-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congrats to Kyle, and way to go Twins. They really played their poker face on this one! Antony barely mentioned him in that interview. Still seems like they were giving Worley/Diamond every opportunity to claim the job, but glad to see Gibson was indeed a realistic option.

Didn't they previously express concerns about Deduno coming out of the pen? I seem to recall something like that from the past two years. Not sure whether it was his warmup routine, recovery rate, mediocre K/BB rates, something?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, the best part of this move may not even be Gibson or Deduno. It effectively moves Meyer up a few spots on the depth chart, hopefully first in line assuming he makes a smooth transition to AAA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 80 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Good.
    Don't be so damned effusive in your praise, Mr. Wins.

Oh oh, here comes an infraction.

21. These 2 users like birdwatcher's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-21-2014), mike wants wins (03-21-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    The Twins aggressiveness with a prospect makes it all the more bittersweet that Sano is out for the year. Good for Gibson!

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Like the rest of you, I'm glad to see Gibson make the team. He's earned it and he's finally ready and I hope the best for him.

Without wishing ill on any of the other starters, I'd also like to see Deduno get some starts now. Go team!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The Twins aggressiveness with a prospect
    This is Gibson's age-26 season. Give him slack for the surgeries, but still, they're not exactly pushing the calendar to give him his chance (again) with the big club.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good for him, I was hoping he'd step it up and earn a spot on the roster.

So far I'm fairly pleased with the way the rotation is setting up. Maybe not going to make a big enough jump to contend for the playoffs but should be a significant increase in wins. It is just spring training but I feel good about the progress with the pitching.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Great move. I was advocating this but pleasantly surprised the Twins have actually done it

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im excited to watch Kyle Gibson pitch for the big club. My questions are what to do with Diamond and who gets the first call if a starter is needed? Meyer? or Deduno?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast