Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Hughes Could Be Huge For Twins

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    This was my favorite signing as well.

Scott Feldman is 30, has a 4.62 ERA, signed for 3/30.

Jason Vargas is 31, has a 4.30 ERA, signed for 4/32.

To me your 4-5th free agent starters are making about what Hughes is. But he has #2 or easily #3 upside in my eyes. Career 4.54 ERA.

His split between the new Yankee stadium and everwhere else:

New Yankee stadium (home 2009 and on) - 350 IP, 4.91 ERA.
    Everwhere else - 430 IP, 4.24 ERA.

I am guessing his struggles at the new Yankee stadium hurt him on the road to an extent (confidence). So I think we could see an improvement on the 4.24 ERA. Not to mention Target Field should be a great place for him (hard to hit HR's and he is tough on righties).

Liked 1,284 Times in 742 Posts
    Thanks for the article, Nick.

I think we all felt like we knew what to expect from Nolasco -- someone who would come in and eat inning and provide some leadership and stability to the pitching staff. A solid #2 serving as a #1 with this team. And so far, the signs are good with him, too.

But Hughes was (and is) always more of a question mark. It is good to see him starting off "on the right foot" and his potential upside always made it seem like his contract could be a bargain. The key for him (seemingly) is to trust in himself and not to keep tinkering and adjusting so much that he gets everything totally out of whack.

We have yet to see how that will play out but I'd much rather see him starting well from the beginning than have to rediscover himself as ST goes along.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When the Twins signed Nolasco, I was very happy. When the Twins signed Hughes, I was ecstatic.

He's the type of signing the Twins have badly needed for years. Young, big upside, currently on a down note from possible mechanical and mental issues from pitching in NYC and Yankee Stadium.

Hughes is my bet to end the 2014 as the team "ace", putting up Scott Baker type numbers.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    I have high hopes for Hughes. Yankee stadium was a terrible park for him to play in, and it can't have been easy to be a "failed" top prospect in that media circus. Lets see what he can do with reduced pressure and spacious confines behind him.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As Hughes tired a bit, the O hitters were elevating more balls, but he was definitely too tough for most of their hitters. Hughes throws hard, the curveball looked good yesterday, and he even threw a few cut fastballs. I listened to the minor league players not in uniform watching and they were impressed with Hughes stuff and his contract.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    You most likely stepped on my foot.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    Although I liked the signing I wasn't a huge Hughes fan. I kind of felt that despite the stats showing otherwise that maybe he had plateaued as a pitcher. Thought he might be a head case and not do that well even out of Yankee stadium.

From what I have seen from him this spring it looks like he is going to prove me wrong. I hope he has a great year. The fans need it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    I hope he has great success and we extend him beyond the three years. I would love to have a starting rotation in four years of Hughes, Meyer, Gibson, Stewart and one of our other young guns.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remember Pavano was run out of New York as a failure and then succeeded here. Hopefully the Twins can do it again with Hughes!!!!

11. This user likes strumdatjag's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Longdistancetwins (03-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Just my prediction but the staff at the end of the year in terms of results 1. Meyer, 2. Hughes, 3. Pelfrey 4. Gibson 5. Norasco. Its really not so bad considering Deduno could be switched with any one of these and Correia could possible switch with one of the last 3. So there is a little depth there. Last year at this time I felt pretty good about Worley, not so great about Pelfrey because of surgery, ok but not excited about Diamond, less certain about Deduno and much less certain about Gibson. Pitching should be significantly better. Offense should be better just by young guys maturing or having more experience. Still not a good offense until we get some young guys up here but Hicks and Arcia should have much better years, Mauer should play more and room for improvement from Colabello and Dozier. Hoping Santana earns a promotion. They should be better than last year which means win a few more games and make more games close.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    Remember Pavano was run out of New York as a failure and then succeeded here. Hopefully the Twins can do it again with Hughes!!!!
    I was just going to post the same thing.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    And both added facial hair during the move! Hughes must keep the beard!
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've watched Hughes pitch a lot over the last years on MLB. When he plays the good teams on the East Coast, he's tough for a couple of innings but they really know how to make him work. His fast ball is ok, but it's straight and teams like the Red Sox and Orioles and Tampa Bay, they foul off his fast ball time after time until they get something to handle. I like the look of his curve this spring, and that will help, but I'm not sure how you get around a fat fastball that teams are sitting on.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't been that excited about the Hughes signing. What I think is that he is at best, a mid rotation starter who hasn't been that good for several years. I didn't think it was a particularly good sign that a 5 year big league veteran was trying to figure out his breaking ball this spring. I like the fact he has pitched well this spring, and I really hope he has turned a corner, figured it out, has put New York behind him, or whatever it is he needed to do. Because, he does have some talent and if he can finally pitch to that talent, the Twins will benefit greatly.

At this point, I will watch with interest what he does with his first 5 starts when the season starts. I think for a guy who has struggled for several years, getting off to a good start will be quite important. It is way too early to get excited about how he is pitching nowgood or bad. Still,if he turns out to be decent or better, it will be a very good thing.
    Last edited by Jim H; 03-19-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can tell by watching him that he attacks and looks for the punch-out, especially with two strikes.
    That's in interesting statement. Since 2009, Hughes has thrown a very high percentage of fastballs in 1-2 and 0-2 counts -- 56.3% of the time compared to the 43% fastball average in those counts. If he is tossing up a curve more frequently in camp and planning on doing so moving forward, there are good odds he could see his strikeout total increase.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Hughes signing made the Nolasco signing look better (in terms of overall spending). I am excited to see him pitch for the Twins.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    I was, and remain very skeptical of Hughes, but fervently hope to be very wrong.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,929 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I was, and remain very skeptical of Hughes, but fervently hope to be very wrong.
    So do we all.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 321 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Yeah. One key thing to remember is: he was pretty bad last year, and in 2011. Even just rebounding to 2010/2012 numbers for him will be a big achievement, and that's ~100 ERA+ territory, a 3/4 starter on a good team.

Projecting him to surpass those numbers and become a top of the rotation guy is pretty wild, at this point. Those guys usually don't sign FA deals for 3/24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast