Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jose Iglesias Has Bilateral Leg Weakness

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    I have noticed that people on this board tend to "fool around" with things that they do not accept or understand.
    Sometimes referred to as a sense of humour. C'mon Nurse, you don't need to be a doctor to see why Twins fans would find this kind of funny.

2. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (03-21-2014)

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Or maybe we're just having a little fun with the fact that when Mauer was diagnosed with bilateral leg weakness, bloggers and posters were diagnosing him with everything from cancer to HIV.No, really. Not exaggerating. HIV.
    As far as I know, neither the Twins or Mauer have ever issued a statement denying it. I'm not saying, I'm just saying...
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

4. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (03-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    bloggers and posters were diagnosing him with everything from cancer to HIV.
    Not just bloggers, Souhan had a column in the paper diagnosing him with depression.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I think the first few comments pretty much captured the severity of the situation. We've kind of fooled around after that, but is there more to say? It can't be a good sign to have fractures in both legs for reasons unknown.
    Reasons unknown? Everyone knows the most common cause of fractures in both legs is borrowing money from a guy named Rocco.

7. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-22-2014), USAFChief (03-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Sometimes referred to as a sense of humour. C'mon Nurse, you don't need to be a doctor to see why Twins fans would find this kind of funny.
    I can well understand why many would find it funny. Fans are who they are. Doesn't make either of my comments wrong, either.

10. These 6 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

biggentleben (03-22-2014), BigTrane (03-22-2014), GCTF (03-22-2014), old nurse (03-22-2014), snepp (03-22-2014), USAFChief (03-22-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,303 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can well understand why many would find it funny. Fans are who they are. Doesn't make either of my comments wrong, either.
    I'm willing to learn, if you think there is something that we do not accept or understand about Iglesias's bilateral tibial stress fracture.

Causes of bilateral leg stress fractures:

(1) Hustling to cover grounders that Miguel Cabrera should have fielded.
    (2) Watching too much cable TV news.
    (3) Scott Boras offered 10% of whatever Drew signs for.
    (4) Falling from a really high fence while longingly watching the Red Sox World Series parade.
    (5) Heels were too high on rookie dress-up day.
    "Where's the Crede?"

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I'm willing to learn, if you think there is something that we do not accept or understand about Iglesias's bilateral tibial stress fracture.
    In regards to stress fracture. When the time off the legs before even beginning rehab is given as 3-4 times longer than standard timing for recovery from that type of problem, doesn't that raise a red flag that there might also be something else going on? It is also very early in the season to be an overuse injury unless there are other factors. It is not like he is pounding miles on a hard surface like a runner or basketball player. True he can probably do a mid air pirouette as well as a ballet dancer, but he lands on dirt, not a hardwood floor.
    The problem is not the diagnosis of stress fracture, it is the leg weakness thing. Leg weakness can be a diagnosis, but it is the symptom of a problem. It is not a condition these athletes did something stupid to get. Why make fun of it?
    Not so long ago people were making fun of concussions. A little knowledge changed that.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,303 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    doesn't that raise a red flag that there might also be something else going on?
    Brock covered that to my satisfaction, in the second response.

Why make fun of it?
    The fun was being made of the manufactured outrage over Mauer. Because, you know, Mauer. 23. Million. Mauer. Bilateral.

Leg weakness can be a diagnosis, but it is the symptom of a problem. It is not a condition these athletes did something stupid to get. Why make fun of it?
    Old Nurse, you are of course correct that any injury that causes an athlete to miss 4-6 months of his or her career is serious. I'm certain that everyone wishes Iglesias a good recovery and a good career, as long as he goes 0-4 with a dropped double play ball every game against the Twins.

News reports make it sound like Iglesias' stress fractures have been around for a while, dating back to his Boston days. News reports do not, however, seem to refer to "leg weakness." That's a TD inside joke based on the use of the words "bilateral" and "legs," which dredge up bad memories, to which we all now try to laugh about. We're all glad that reports of "bilateral leg weakness" in Joe Mauer a few years ago have not appeared to be permanent.

Regarding Iglesias' injury, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I'll stick my "leg" out and say that there may be many causes for stress fractures, but the most likely causes are overuse, insufficient rest and muscle imbalances. Playing baseball could actually be the final straw, even if played on a soft surface, if he had been doing a lot of straight-ahead fitness training during the offseason, such as running and weightlifting, which caused his body to be under general stress, and then the repetitive lateral and twisting motions involved in playing shortstop during spring training proved to be too much for the stressed muscles and tendons to handle. I would also opine - without research - that stress fractures may be more common in younger athletes, because they may have less awareness of their physical limits, causing them to push on when a more experienced athlete might back off, and because sometimes their musculoskeletal systems may not be completely developed, making them more susceptible.
    "Where's the Crede?"

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Deduno Abides View Post
    Old Nurse, you are of course correct that any injury that causes an athlete to miss 4-6 months of his or her career is serious. I'm certain that everyone wishes Iglesias a good recovery and a good career, as long as he goes 0-4 with a dropped double play ball every game against the Twins.

News reports make it sound like Iglesias' stress fractures have been around for a while, dating back to his Boston days. News reports do not, however, seem to refer to "leg weakness." That's a TD inside joke based on the use of the words "bilateral" and "legs," which dredge up bad memories, to which we all now try to laugh about. We're all glad that reports of "bilateral leg weakness" in Joe Mauer a few years ago have not appeared to be permanent.

Regarding Iglesias' injury, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I'll stick my "leg" out and say that there may be many causes for stress fractures, but the most likely causes are overuse, insufficient rest and muscle imbalances. Playing baseball could actually be the final straw, even if played on a soft surface, if he had been doing a lot of straight-ahead fitness training during the offseason, such as running and weightlifting, which caused his body to be under general stress, and then the repetitive lateral and twisting motions involved in playing shortstop during spring training proved to be too much for the stressed muscles and tendons to handle. I would also opine - without research - that stress fractures may be more common in younger athletes, because they may have less awareness of their physical limits, causing them to push on when a more experienced athlete might back off, and because sometimes their musculoskeletal systems may not be completely developed, making them more susceptible.
    Thank you. A lot better information than "he's done"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12