Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Iglesias Has Bilateral Leg Weakness

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts

Jose Iglesias Has Bilateral Leg Weakness

• MLB ‏@MLB 1h
      Tests on @tigers SS Jose Iglesias show bilateral tibial stress fractures, will be limited to non-weight bearing exercise for 4-6 months.

Isn't "bilateral tibial stress fractures" limited to non-weight bearing exercise just a more severe form of "bilateral leg weakness"?

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    I've been waiting for this one.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Time to form a candlelight vigil for Iglesias. He's a goner.

4. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-22-2014), snepp (03-20-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Time to form a candlelight vigil for Iglesias. He's a goner.

I assume there will be a contingency of Twins fans who will complain and say that Iglesius should be playing, right?

6. These 3 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-20-2014), crarko (03-20-2014), jm3319 (03-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I assume there will be a contingency of Twins fans who will complain and say that Iglesius should be playing, right?
    I doubt it. I'm guessing most of us are just fine with Detroit being short their starting SS, regardless of their feelings regarding the diagnosis.

But this sounds different than Joe's vague condition anyway. Bilateral just means both sides of the body and that seems to be the only similar term in this comparison. Joe's condition (which as far as I remember was only mentioned by Gardy, Smith or some other non-medically liscensed personell) was just described as "leg weakness," not a stress fracture.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 03-20-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    And that he should also hit more homers.

Because, homeruns.

9. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (03-22-2014), Sconnie (03-20-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-20-2014), snepp (03-20-2014)

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    But this sounds different than Joe's vague condition anyway. Bilateral just means both sides of the body and that seems to be the only similar term in this comparison. Joe's condition (which as far as I remember was only mentioned by Gardy, Smith or some other non-medically liscensed personell) was just described as "leg weakness," not a stress fracture.
    I think it was a really unfortunate choice of words with regard to Mauer.

But actually seeing bilateral used in conjunction with tibial stress gives me a greater understanding of why the term "bilateral leg weakness" may have been used with Mauer. I would guess that a medical professional used it and then it was picked up by someone in Twins management who, unfortunately, uttered the phrase without elaborating until all blogosphere h*ll had broken loose.

And I do think that someone will try to pinpoint how/why the stress fractures developed in both of Iglesias' legs. Diet and nutrition (maybe even in childhood)? Overtraining? Bad training?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think bilateral leg weakness just has inherent comic effect as a phrase. Even if people can't explicitly name Greek and Latin derivatives versus their Norse or Anglo-Saxon counterparts, they know that throwing a Latin sounding term like bilateral in front of a normal sounding word like leg or weakness comes across as trying to make something fancy, like a bona fide banjo.

12. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-20-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I think bilateral leg weakness just has inherent comic effect as a phrase. Even if people can't explicitly name Greek and Latin derivatives versus their Norse or Anglo-Saxon counterparts, they know that throwing a Latin sounding term like bilateral in front of a normal sounding word like leg or weakness comes across as trying to make something fancy, like a bona fide banjo.
    Exactly. It's hard not to question an injury that sounds like Dr. Nick Riviera came up with the name.

14. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-20-2014), JB_Iowa (03-20-2014)

Blog Entries
    I've got an old Unix shell script that generates random rock band names:
    Squiggly Act Of Treason
    Useless Samoans
    Ethical Madness Of The Third Kind
    Attack Of The Utility Infielder
    Middle Class Cookies

Maybe I should feed it a vocabulary of medical terms, and go into business as an iatric consultant.

/ in the spirit of putting a fancy word in front of a regular one, maybe I should be an iatric goober.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 03-20-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 491 Times in 236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Exactly. It's hard not to question an injury that sounds like Dr. Nick Riviera came up with the name.
    Are you saying people can't become overweight from assa-horizontology?
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

17. These 2 users like GCTF's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-20-2014), TheLeviathan (03-20-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

19. This user likes biggentleben's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (03-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    You are all missing the bilateral stress fracture part. That would be two broken legs without displacement of the bones. That they are wanting him off his legs that long would lead me to believe there might be a couple fractures on each.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    You are all missing the bilateral stress fracture part. That would be two broken legs without displacement of the bones. That they are wanting him off his legs that long would lead me to believe there might be a couple fractures on each.
    I think the first few comments pretty much captured the severity of the situation. We've kind of fooled around after that, but is there more to say? It can't be a good sign to have fractures in both legs for reasons unknown.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Time to rub some dirt on it and get back out there!
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

23. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-20-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that no one is missing anything.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got an old Unix shell script that generates random rock band names:
    Squiggly Act Of Treason
    Useless Samoans
    Ethical Madness Of The Third Kind
    Attack Of The Utility Infielder
    Middle Class Cookies

Maybe I should feed it a vocabulary of medical terms, and go into business as an iatric consultant.

/ in the spirit of putting a fancy word in front of a regular one, maybe I should be an iatric goober.
    I want to call my band... "Bandwidth Problems"

As for Iglasias... Detroit is gonna miss him.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    I think the first few comments pretty much captured the severity of the situation. We've kind of fooled around after that, but is there more to say? It can't be a good sign to have fractures in both legs for reasons unknown.
    I have noticed that people on this board tend to "fool around" with things that they do not accept or understand.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have noticed that people on this board tend to "fool around" with things that they do not accept or understand.
    I'm married, so this is me in a nutshell
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

28. These 4 users like LimestoneBaggy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-21-2014), old nurse (03-21-2014), Since71 (03-22-2014), USAFChief (03-21-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Or maybe we're just having a little fun with the fact that when Mauer was diagnosed with bilateral leg weakness, bloggers and posters were diagnosing him with everything from cancer to HIV.

No, really. Not exaggerating. HIV.

30. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-21-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast