Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Finding Offense

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Drew could be signed to play both SS and 3b so that way Florimon gets a lot of time at SS and Plouffe can spend some time in the OF.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brvama View Post
    The team the Twins took north in 2013 was:
    Position 2013 2013
    Catcher Mauer Suzuki
    1st Base Mornear Mauer
    2nd Base Dozier Dozier
    3rd Base Plouffe Ploufee
    Shortstop Florimon Florimon
    Left Field Willingham
    Center Field
    I am sorry this incomplete thought got posted. Had a long day yesterday.

B/c of my limited time I will not go into detail, but I think that when one compares our 2013 roster with the possible 2014 roster, we might be surprised as to the potential. The bench could be much better than LY but that's not saying much either.

My point is: I am concerned about our offense, but I certainly don't feel it will be as bad as LY. If Pinto replaces Doumit that's a plus. Suzuki is a downgrade from Morneau. More-experienced Hicks, healthy Willingham, Arcia replacing Parmelee, and an improved bench with Colabello should give us a chance to improve. Now that assumes the roster is made up of the best players we have available that are ready. Generally, I'm optimistic until proven otherwise.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brvama View Post
    My point is: I am concerned about our offense, but I certainly don't feel it will be as bad as LY. If Pinto replaces Doumit that's a plus. Suzuki is a downgrade from Morneau. More-experienced Hicks, healthy Willingham, Arcia replacing Parmelee, and an improved bench with Colabello should give us a chance to improve.
    While far from perfect, Doumit was still a 96 OPS+ hitter last year in over 500 PA. As optimistic as I am, I think Pinto will be at best a modest upgrade over that (any rate improvement will likely be offset by less playing time).

If things break right, we could bounce back to 2012 levels (when we ranked 10 in R/G), even with a few black holes in the order. Still a real possibility we will continue bottoming out, though (kinda like the starting staff last year) -- hopefully that would inspire more offseason remedies, though.

4. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (03-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Everything points to Hammer and Plouffe... In my opinion.
    Yup, it really comes back to these guys doesn't it? We need some big bats in the middle of the lineup and these are the guys to do it. Arcia will be in that mix too but obviously more is demanded from Willingham and Plouffsie and this point.

The funny thing about that, those are two guys who are prime candidates to be traded if they start to perform at the plate. So that's an odd situation, but I think you have to do it in both cases. I'm not sure they would fetch much in return, though. So really, the Twins need to find some offense so they can flip it for future gains.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123