Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Angels release Bobby Abreu. Does that do anything for you?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Angels release Bobby Abreu. Does that do anything for you?

According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the Angels have released veteran outfielder-DH Bobby Abreu.

The Angels have decided to surf the youth movement by recalling super prospect Mike Trout rather than continuing with the 38-year-old Abreu. Because of defensive limitations, the Angels used Abreu more as a role player than a starter, which supposedly frustrated the long-time starter and former All Star when his time was reduced.

Unable to provide much in the ways of defense, Abreu's offensive output has taken a downward as well. Prior to the 2010 season, Abreu reached base at a very impressive .404 clip. Since his age-35 season, however, he has managed to reach safely at a .353 rate. Likewise, his vaunted line drive rate, which averaged 25% prior to the 2010 season, has dipped to 15% the last three years helping explain why Abreu's on-base percentage has taken a hit.

On the flip side, he's still a professional hitter who grinds out at bats and wears pitchers down but making them throw 4.30 pitches per plate appearance.

If you were the general manager of the Twins, would you be interested in bring Bobby Abreu on-board at this point? Why or why not?

They already have two OFs who provide only bats and no defense in Willingham and Doumit. They don't need a third.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd prefer him over Inge and Burroughs any day. PH, occasional DH and PR (he stole 29 last season) and cannot be worse than Parm and Doom at the OF if the occasion call it. Plus I suspect that he brings in professionalist and a winning attitude.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I can't say without a price. If we are going to be at the bottom again this year, is a professional hitter going to help the younger guys enough to offset at bats for a younger player? I guess thats the real question.

If Gardy did platoons more often, Abreu could start a few games in RF vs RHP.

But that most likely means Clete Thomas will be DFA, leaving Plouffe as the backup CF.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I don't want anyone over 30 added to this roster, unless he's a legit MLB starting pitcher. Time to go young. Young, and younger.
    Lighten up Francis....

Bobby: "Hello"
    Terry Ryan: "This is Terry Ryan from the Minnesota Twins, would you be inter"
    Bobby: *Click*

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    The Twins need to find out what they have in Plouffe, Revere, Valencia, and Parmelee. Guys like Abreu and Inge move this team in the wrong direction. I'm not interested in any veteran players if they can't pitch.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Agreed with Boom Boom.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Bobby would be great! The Twins would win the close ones, an't that what baseball is about?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bobby Abreu is a major upgrade over Clete Thomas. I would sign him to an incentive-laden contract (with smart numbers based on OBP) and enjoy watching someone take pitches on this team in the bottom half of the lineup for a change.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that, yes, this would require another move to add Mastro for backup OF reasons, but Parmelee should be sent to Rochester anyway.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, it doesn't.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First: All you would owe Bobby Abreu(if he clears waviers) is the prorated major league minimum. Do not think he could help us at this time(since the Angels move seems to say not a clubhouse guy). We do not need this here for rebuilding

Quote Originally Posted by mhanson93 View Post
    Bobby: "Hello"
    Terry Ryan: "This is Terry Ryan from the Minnesota Twins, would you be inter"
    Bobby: *Click*
    Lol! Sad but true.

But strategery, people! This squad is going nowhere. Abreu is essentially free. Grab Abreu and any/every other cheap alternative we can lay hands on IF we can trade their equivalent for solid prospect. Time to stop pretending we don't need to rebuild, no?

So, grab Abreu, et al. Trade Willingham, Span, Morneau, Mauer (though I don't think anyone will touch him unless we eat 1/3 - 1/2 of his salary, frankly), Valencia, Doumit, Plouffe, maybe even Parmalee. Basically trade anyone for whom we can garner in return mid-solid pitching prospects or position players. Bring up all the rest from the farm who we think, in 2-4 years, will be gamers. Get rid of the entire coaching staff at MLB level, and many of the minor league guys who have been in the system for the last decade or longer. Time for a complete overhaul, and if we can save money now to invest in development of prospects, we should do it. We're already in danger of losing 100 games this year. What's the point of trying to work with what we've got? Insanity is trying the same failed solution time and again. Let's get it over with...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No! Never!

I also agree with Boom Boom. The main deciding factor is that he's 38-years-old. His best years are past and he's not going to improve. Going with an "elderly" outfielder - that's going the wrong direction for a rebuilding team.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Abreu provided good leadership in the clubhouse, he might be a good idea. But my sense is that he is not a good clubhouse player. And this seems like a good year to try out young prospects and see who can stick.