Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Kyle Gibson

Kyle Gibson

Watching the game today against a full cardinal lineup today and wow does Kyle Gibson look good! Reminds me a lot of nick Blackburn in his hay days. A guy who's sinker is hard and sharp when down in the zone. The difference is that Gibson throws slightly harder and has a good slider to go with that sinker.

Im in not saying send Gibson north but I really think 2014 is going to be a big yr for Gibson and he should be the first option when a starter goes down and or a starter struggles. Seen enough of diamond and Worley time to look at Gibson May and Meyer as the starting options to come up when guys struggle or go down with injury.

2. These 2 users like minnymadness's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-19-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-19-2014)

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Welcome to the board.

Gibson does look good today. The way we all hoped he'd look last summer. Hopefully he'll continue to look good and we'll get to see a lot of him with the Twins this season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Really heartening to see Gibson have so much success this spring. Almost zero chance for him to be in the rotation with so many guys out of options, but very good news for the future. I see him in the rotation, either due to injury or trade.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minnymadness View Post
    Reminds me a lot of nick Blackburn in his hay days.
    Yeesh, let's hope not. Kyle will need to miss more bats than Nick ever did if he's going to be a consistent starter in this league.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Why not bring him North if he's one of the 5 best starting pitchers?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why not bring him North if he's one of the 5 best starting pitchers?
    He's making a strong bid. It could happen.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,942 Times in 1,138 Posts
    I've been slating him as the 5th starter but there is a lot if Deduno love out there for him to be the 5th. But the Twins have not been starting Deduno at all and using him in relief so I think the 5th spot is between Gibson and Diamond and I sure hope it's Gibson

9. These 2 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (03-19-2014), USAFChief (03-19-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Who do you guys move him ahead of?

Edit: Perhaps Deduno's rocky outing today puts him in the bullpen to start the season, paving the way for Gibson to start.

I guess my preference still would be for Gibson to start the season ay Rochester, and give the #5 spot to Sam.
    Last edited by longstrangetrip; 03-19-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess I would be surprised if Deduno is in the bullpen and Gibson is the #5. Without the issue involving out-of-options players, Gibson might be the #5. Sometimes they don't always start with the best players. I would think they might rather have Gibson pitch on a regular basis in AAA to start rather than sporadically as the #5 starter. He would clearly be the #6 to me (first guy up) unless Diamond is in the pen.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    For as well as Gibson has been pitching, that Rob Antony thread sure doesn't embolden me to think he's coming north. If those results yield that kind of "meh" reaction...he might as well get his Red Wings uni out for ironing.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    I assume the Anthony quote was from before today, I think Gibson put him self in the lead for the 5th spot. Deduno appears to be headed to the pen, Worley is toast, and Diamond has been mediocre.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    For as well as Gibson has been pitching, that Rob Antony thread sure doesn't embolden me to think he's coming north. If those results yield that kind of "meh" reaction...he might as well get his Red Wings uni out for ironing.
    Yeah. It's pretty clear from all his talking, that sorting out the 3 out of options guys is the only concern at this point. It also must indicate that they aren't thinking one iota of moving Correia any time soon, as well. And kind of messes up all of his rhetoric about the alleged tough talk and fighting for jobs.

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    I've been slating him as the 5th starter but there is a lot if Deduno love out there for him to be the 5th. But the Twins have not been starting Deduno at all and using him in relief so I think the 5th spot is between Gibson and Diamond and I sure hope it's Gibson
    I think some of the "love" for Deduno being 5th starter is less about Deduno and more about probabilities. I predict Deduno will be 5th starter because he had the most success last year of all of the pitchers who are up for that position currently. I think Deduno would be best suited for the pen because it would reduce his number of wild pitches and allow him to focus on the effectiveness of two pitched rather than 3 or 4. I would rather see Gibson as the 5th starter, but he is somewhat unproven and with the options situation as it is, I think the management will have Gibson start out in AAA and earn a promotion.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    I know "we" all use the "5th starter" as the last guy in the rotation, but are Deduno and Gibson better than any of our first four? For instance, Nolasco is our #1 and Opening Day starter. He is followed by Hughes and then a guy like Gibson or Deduno. Leaving Correia and Pelfrey to be the guys to miss a start if the Twins were to skip someone early on. What are the chances that Pelfrey is the #5 and not Gibson or Deduno?

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I think some of the "love" for Deduno being 5th starter is less about Deduno and more about probabilities. I predict Deduno will be 5th starter because he had the most success last year of all of the pitchers who are up for that position currently. I think Deduno would be best suited for the pen because it would reduce his number of wild pitches and allow him to focus on the effectiveness of two pitched rather than 3 or 4. I would rather see Gibson as the 5th starter, but he is somewhat unproven and with the options situation as it is, I think the management will have Gibson start out in AAA and earn a promotion.
    Ya I think Deduno has the most potential to be a good reliever of the lot. His stuff could really play up in the pen if he can throw as hard as he wants, and not worry so much about his pitch counts. Normally guys with lack luster control but good stuff end up relievers.

Diamond and Worley don't really have the out pitches to be more than junk inning or middle relievers.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    I know "we" all use the "5th starter" as the last guy in the rotation, but are Deduno and Gibson better than any of our first four? For instance, Nolasco is our #1 and Opening Day starter. He is followed by Hughes and then a guy like Gibson or Deduno. Leaving Correia and Pelfrey to be the guys to miss a start if the Twins were to skip someone early on. What are the chances that Pelfrey is the #5 and not Gibson or Deduno?
    Gardy and Andy love Mike Pelfrey, and TK said a couple weeks ago he expected a big season from the big guy this year, so I don't think they think of him as #5. I suspect that Gibson/Deduno/Diamond get skipped early in the year when #5 isn't needed. But eventually #5 will be determined by this year's performance, and I predict Correia is the 5th starter by the middle of May.