Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the Twins about to trade a starter?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    I would agree with the caveat that the Rays stay in the playoff race. I'm sure they would like to make another run with him, but if they fade I would have to think they try to trade him. If they can't find a decent return they give him the Q.O.

Price isn't a FA until 2016. He will make $14M this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    how about Deduno and Gibson at 4 and 5 (or Johnson)? Regardless of Correia's value, wouldn't that $5.5M come in handy in signing draft picks and internationals later this year (money is fungible)?
    Unless they intend to seek out a penalty, they can tell you today what they will have for cash for the draft and international signings. Moving Correia wouldn't change that amount. That said, I don't want to get into a whole other money and utilization of those resources debate.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    how about Deduno and Gibson at 4 and 5 (or Johnson)? Regardless of Correia's value, wouldn't that $5.5M come in handy in signing draft picks and internationals later this year (money is fungible)?
    I sort of forgot about Gibson since he seems destined to be in AAA to start since we have three guys who are out of options. I would be fine with Gibson at #4, Deduno at #5, Diamond or Worley in pen as #6. Meyer as #7 later in the season if needed?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I don't think there's much reason to think a trade is happening. Other teams scout players all the time, esp in ST. Rays are probably just doing due diligence on the Twins in case something comes up during the season.

I don't think the Twins will trade Correa until the deadline. They won't want to look like they are punting on the season by trading away last years best pitcher before the games even start. If/when they are out of it at the midpoint, they can trade him (and Willingham). Ryan knows he'll use more than 5 starters this year so it probably doesn't matter that much who the 5 are in April. As the season goes on others will get their chances.
    Optimist? It is incumbent on the Twins to move Correia whenever it is that they can maximize value, be it in the next 2 weeks, or any time up through the deadline. Others have posted, and are probably right- how much demand is really out there for KC? Because of the lack of a complete overhaul and upgrade offensively this offseason, the Twins already were looking like they were punting this year, in anticipation of continuing to put the pieces in place for 2015 being "the turn" for the better. (Sano's TJ may or may not have messed up that timetable a bit).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Price isn't a FA until 2016. He will make $14M this year.
    Forgot about that too. Off my game tonight. Since he isn't eligible for FA after the season, Rays probably keep him through the season and trade him in the offseason. They don't ever seem to let a valuable piece get to FA without getting something.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    I sort of forgot about Gibson since he seems destined to be in AAA to start since we have three guys who are out of options. I would be fine with Gibson at #4, Deduno at #5, Diamond or Worley in pen as #6. Meyer as #7 later in the season if needed?
    I really like that scenario. It's what a rebuilding team should look like, not giving more starts to a guy with an expiring contract. And especially leaving the door ajar for Meyer to bust through in June or July. A lot of questions for 2015 can be fully answered with this plan.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Unless they intend to seek out a penalty, they can tell you today what they will have for cash for the draft and international signings. Moving Correia wouldn't change that amount. That said, I don't want to get into a whole other money and utilization of those resources debate.
    As I said, money is fungible. The amount won't be changed, but now you have those signing exercises largely "paid for", freeing up those previously budgeted funds for other areas to improve the club.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Any money saved has no bearings on the draft. Teams only get so much money to sign draft picks. The Twins don't need to cut salary they are raking in the cash clearing at least $100M. Any salary dumps is nothing much more than greed.
    I would rather keep Correia in the rotation than adding Diamond or Worley to the rotation. If Alex Meyer was ready it would be a different answer.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Any money saved has no bearings on the draft. Teams only get so much money to sign draft picks. The Twins don't need to cut salary they are raking in the cash clearing at least $100M. Any salary dumps is nothing much more than greed.
    I would rather keep Correia in the rotation than adding Diamond or Worley to the rotation. If Alex Meyer was ready it would be a different answer.
    As I said, money is fungible, money saved in one area can be allotted elsewhere- getting your draft money "paid for" gives you more options in areas to improve. And certainly, the Twins have not always spent all of their avalable funds in both of the prospect areas in the past. I hope that moving a salary for a rebuilding team would mean the chance for more flexibility for doing things like:

-Picking up a better player on an unexpired contract via trade.
    -Signing Kendrys Morales in June at a discount for multiple years.
    -Going over the International limit should there be a bidding war on a coveted prospect.
    -Signing a prospective player from Cuba or other country, not subject to the established limits.

And I agree with you on Diamond and Worley at this point. But starting out with Gibson and Deduno might be worth considering.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-17-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins need to do reasonably well this year to sell seats. Otherwise after this year it will be a disaster until they turn things around. I hope decisions will be made for the good of the club, not players given a chance to prove themselves because of prior track records. Take the best 25 north and don't worry about the fallout. If the Twins fall out early, then move all the veterans you can to make room for the future.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    This would make a lot of sense, and both sides speculated that the fit would be right, centered around a package headlined by either Gattis or Bethancourt along with Lucas Sims and Joey Terdoslavich with a few more final pieces to be added. In fact, the Rays and Braves had some heavy talks around the deadline last year with a similar framework, but the Rays would not allow the Braves to talk with Price regarding an extension before the trade was finalized. That's apparently paramount for the Braves before they'd make a move for Price, and with the price it'd cost (pun unintentional, but it works!), I completely agree with that stance.

At this point, the Braves wouldn't make the move for him midseason, I don't believe. It doesn't work with their budget or team-building philosophy. I'm not even sure if there's room for Price in the current budget.
    Out of curiosity, can they afford him in the long term? You have to think he'll get a Greinke/Verlander/Hernandez like deal.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    "if", I love your optimism guys.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Out of curiosity, can they afford him in the long term? You have to think he'll get a Greinke/Verlander/Hernandez like deal.
    They could, especially with the expected influx of income from the new stadium, but it'd sure help if a new owner stepped up and bought out Liberty Media because they have no incentive to fight the current TV deal (rated the 2nd worst television contract in MLB by Sports Business Journal) whereas a new owner would likely be looking to start new and prefer the opportunity at higher income over the stability of a set contract. The Braves have only the money they put forth this offseason going forward, and most of those contracts will leave plenty of spending room to fill out a roster. It will be interesting to see how the money starts to work going forward as they anticipate their new stadium's revenues.

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Twins need to do reasonably well this year to sell seats. Otherwise after this year it will be a disaster until they turn things around. I hope decisions will be made for the good of the club, not players given a chance to prove themselves because of prior track records. Take the best 25 north and don't worry about the fallout. If the Twins fall out early, then move all the veterans you can to make room for the future.

Just curious, do you really think the veterans on this roster are that much better than the youth available? Kubel? Suzuki? Pressly (the CF one, not sure I spelled it correctly). Willingham as an OF?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you all are missing the obvious. The Twins are going to trade KC and May to the Rays for Price and then sign him to a long term contract!

Let's get this rumor mill churning!
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

16. These 2 users like Jim Crikket's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-18-2014), snepp (03-18-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    I'd say that if they have an offer for KC right now, not sure why they aren't taking it. If the offer includes a viable prospect at all, that's worth more than 15 starts from KC over 15 from random starter (this year at least).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'd say that if they have an offer for KC right now, not sure why they aren't taking it. If the offer includes a viable prospect at all, that's worth more than 15 starts from KC over 15 from random starter (this year at least).
    I think you answered your own question. If.

If the offer is AAAA castoffs, why bother?

If there even is an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I think you all are missing the obvious. The Twins are going to trade KC and May to the Rays for Price and then sign him to a long term contract!

Let's get this rumor mill churning!
    Trade rumor fail: does not include Duensing.

20. These 4 users like biggentleben's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (03-18-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-18-2014), snepp (03-18-2014), USAFChief (03-18-2014)

First timer guys; heading down to ST next week to take in Minor Leaguers and see the new, expanded Hammond. My 4th trip and first time going the last week of training. Good timing on the post. Read earlier where Gibson is scheduled to start later in week. I thought it rather odd, since Deduno, Worley, Diamond supposedly fighting it out for 5th. Gibson has options, other's don't. If Gibson proves himself, wouldn't surprise me they trade Correria and May to get a SS or stop gap Center fielder which sounds like a mess right now, as Pressley and Hicks aren't setting the world on fire.

Reality check: The more moving parts there are the less likely it is to happen. In this case there are more starters than roles, so the easiest path to clarity is a simple move like sending Diamond to OAK. He gets a chance, they shore up the rotation, MN picks up a prospect (hopefully a MI.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast