Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next year's outfield

Next year's outfield

Even if the Twins only slightly improve this year, it will be fun to watch Buxton join Hicks and Arcia in the outfield next year. They could stay together for a few years, I hope. Hicks looks really good this spring. Of course, he did last spring as well.

2. This user likes ppearson50's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-16-2014)

Would love to see hicks show he is as good as advertised this yr put together a successful season. You put hicks and buxton in the outfield together and the defense gets leaps and bounds better. I actually think Arica turns into the DH and they find another outfielder. Either way I like any outfield where hicks and buxton are playing and productive.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have real doubt that Hicks has enough bat to be a regular corner outfielder. If Buxton progresses as expected, Hicks becomes a high-value trade chip, assuming that he proves to be a capable starting center fielder.

5. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-16-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 161 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Hicks is the best defensive corner OF in baseball he doesn't need to have he power bat to play corner. Plenty of winning teams have had corner outfielder that brought great defense and speed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd rather have solid defense and great power personally. Until we have lights out pitching (San Francisco / Tampa Bay style) we need run producers. You still have to outscore other team to win. Not poor defense at corner spot but solid defense with an amazing CF works (aka Angels).

Agreed you don't need a true power hitter In the corner outfield. Speed and defense effect every game. Not to mention he has shown he has some power both gap power and hitting it over the wall.

Hicks - Buxton - Arcia could be a very productive trio offensively and defensively. If someone else comes up and pushes Arcia to a DH so be it, but I won't lose sleep over that outfield.

Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    You don't need "great power" to be an effective offensive player. However, it's very difficult to be an effective offensive player without at least a little power...enough to keep the SLG up over .400.

And it's very, very difficult to hold onto a major league corner OF spot for very long if you aren't an effective offensive player. Great corner OF defense is a nice add on for a player, but isn't enough by itself. Hicks will have to hit if he's going to eventually move to a corner. I think he will.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

11. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-17-2014), stringer bell (03-17-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    What are we talking here as far as power goes? Last year Hicks couldn't hit a lick and still put 8 balls into the seats. He reminds me of a young Torii Hunter. I think he will turn it around, just as Torii did and be able to average 20-30 dingers a year while playing outstanding defense. Besides, they both have double vowels in their names.

13. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (03-18-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 266 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephrin View Post
    Hicks - Buxton - Arcia could be a very productive trio offensively and defensively. If someone else comes up and pushes Arcia to a DH so be it, but I won't lose sleep over that outfield.
    I think Arcia may push himself to DH or 1B. His offensive WAR was +1 in 100 games last year. His defensive WAR was -2.

I would bet Mauer would be a better defensive OF than Arcia. Either way I think you have Buxton in CF, Hicks or Rosario in at least one corner.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Aaron Hicks prospect status has always been tied to his ability as a centerfielder. Big arm, good range in addition to what he brings offensively. The reason the corner OF stereotype exists is because you can hide an average to even below average fielder there, because the bat is very good. Aaron Hick's bat tool has never been considered to be in the 'very good' range. If Buxton is on the major league roster by let's say June of 2015, he and Hicks may get the opportunity to see what they can do together. If Hicks is hitting .275/.350/.450 while also hitting 15+ HR's and stealing 20+ bases, but is relegated to RF on the Twins, he could be worth a king's ransom! We wouldn't have to trade him, but we could still run Arcia and his bat out there but then flip Hicks for several high upside prospects or a MLB-ready SS. He is a CF that will be very sought after if he gets his bat going.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Good defense at the corner OF spots is a luxery, and not one that should come at the expense of offense. It's not a defensive priority position. Especially if we're talking about RF at Target Field. It's more important to find someone with a good arm and is smart about playing the wall. Not much range is needed for the postion as there's no foul territory and it's not very deep. It just plays deep because of the towering wall.

17. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 266 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Aaron Hicks prospect status has always been tied to his ability as a centerfielder. Big arm, good range in addition to what he brings offensively. The reason the corner OF stereotype exists is because you can hide an average to even below average fielder there, because the bat is very good. Aaron Hick's bat tool has never been considered to be in the 'very good' range. If Buxton is on the major league roster by let's say June of 2015, he and Hicks may get the opportunity to see what they can do together. If Hicks is hitting .275/.350/.450 while also hitting 15+ HR's and stealing 20+ bases, but is relegated to RF on the Twins, he could be worth a king's ransom! We wouldn't have to trade him, but we could still run Arcia and his bat out there but then flip Hicks for several high upside prospects or a MLB-ready SS. He is a CF that will be very sought after if he gets his bat going.

Since the emergence of Buxton last year, I have thought Hicks gets moved as well. If he figures it out he could be a top 10-15 CF in the league, but not in a corner. He would still have some value. But when a guy could provide more value to a team with a hole in CF a trade opportunity exists. With glaring needs at SP and SS, something could be worked out that could benefit both parties.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Good defense at the corner OF spots is a luxery, and not one that should come at the expense of offense. It's not a defensive priority position. Especially if we're talking about RF at Target Field. It's more important to find someone with a good arm and is smart about playing the wall. Not much range is needed for the postion as there's no foul territory and it's not very deep. It just plays deep because of the towering wall.
    Yup, even Parmelee looked good in right. And there's also the fact that Buxton will probably be covering a whole lot of ground in center next year, making the lateral range of the corner outfielders even less important.

Hicks' future as a Twin depends mainly on how his bat plays in left or right. But it also depends on the development of other players and the lineup in general. If Buxton, Pinto and Arcia become everyday players who chip in above average offense, there's less pressure for Hicks to hit like a true corner outfielder. And if Sano is able to stick at third, it's much easier to visualize an above average lineup even without a a lot of offense from one corner OF spot.

But if Sano can't stick at third, then does he become a 22 year old DH so that Mauer can stay at first and Hicks plays left or right? One more reason they need to have a much better idea of what they have in Arcia, Pinto, and Hicks before the season is over.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-17-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Arcia - LF
    Hicks - Center
    Parmelee - RF

Why Parms? Because I feel like it. As I think the Twins rarely push people quickly unless out of need, Buxton will still be in AAA/AA. If not, then Hicks struggled to make contact and they brought up Buxton to help out. Swap Buxton for Hicks.
    After Kubel fails to catch up to anything resembling a fastball and Willingham falls apart, Parms will play enough to not embarrass himself nightly this year. We still won't tell anyone that he plays for us though. He won't be THAT good. Thus, he will be in RF to start next year. If he hits with the power people thought he had...then he's the prototypical slow-footed RF that y'all have been talking about.

Just throwing out some hastily written thoughts. I'd much rather have Arcia, Hicks, and Buxton...but that means all 3 have to figure it out.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I suspect this is going to play out based on how some other bats develop. If something clicks with Parm or Plouffe, I have to think that Hicks goes on the block if he's also successful. If Hicks can hit .270ish with 15-20 home runs though while playing GG defense in the corners, he's still going to be well above average for a corner OF. I do agree that his value is higher as a CF and if a taker was willing to give us that SS we've needed, or an ace pitcher, I'd flip Hicks in a heartbeat. If not though, he's still quite valuable in the corner.

Now if he cannot hit that well, then I'd flip him as a CF for whatever I could get and go sign someone in FA if Parm or Plouffe don't figure it out. I don't think it's a good philosophy to stick him in the corner and say that because we have Mauer, Buxton, Sano, etc. that Hicks doesn't need to hit. I cannot stand that philosophy.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    I suppose I'd wait to worry about it until the need arises. By the time it does, the answer may be a bit clearer.

23. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-17-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton will likely not be ready for the majors in the beginning of 2015. I think that he might be a September call up. Still has issues making contract with breaking balls. He needs to solve those to be MLB-ready.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

What would you say is Hicks ceiling? Could he be a 20/20 guy?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    A bit premature to be betting on Hicks, imo. But I disagree with Nick. If he can hit like a good CF, and field like the best corner OF, I think that is valuable. Is that as valuable as trading him for a legit SS or C? Not sure.....but I think Nick and others are undervaluing defense some.

But, let's see if he can actually hit at all first.....I'd 100% rather he be in LF than CF, though. let's see what he can do at his eventual Twins' position, not his position for some other team.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast