Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Roster Projection 3.0

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    It may be painfull, but this is a sort out year. Find out which of the Twins young players that are ready have a future here. That is why I am hoping there is no room for either Kubel or Bartlett. Parmelee, Florimon, Escobar, Plouffe, Hicks and Arcia all need to play and see which ones can grow and which ones will need to be pushed or replaced next year.
    100% this.
    Lighten up Francis....

Kendry Morales would plug in nicely into the DH spot right now. Two years $24 million could probably do it. Keep Cola as right handed bat off the bench. Try to get Parmelee through waivers and send Kubel to AAA as insurance for injuries. Won't happen, probably, but it would give us a consistent RBI guy behind Mauer and Hammer.

Senior Member MVP
    Why sign Morales? They have no 3B, SS, CF, C....they might not have a LF (if you count defense). They might or might not have a 2B. What good does a 2 year deal do this team, at this point, with this roster? This year has to be about the future, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

I just don't know if I could handle another 95 plus loss season with guys like Parmalee and Escobar getting a ton of at bats. Need to start to winning a few more games to change the losing ways around.

Senior Member MVP
    ppearson50, that is fair.

I'd rather see a young lineup with hope, but it looks like neither of us is getting our wish. We are getting old and medium aged guys, with little hope, and little current ability either (on offense....the pitching MIGHT be different).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    This suggests that Pinto might well make the roster:
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...er_Pinto031714

I'm fine with Suzuki being named the starter right now, I just don't want him getting 80-90% of the starts if Pinto is on the roster. I liked the Suzuki signing as a guy who could help the pitching staff and mentor Pinto, but if Pinto is on the roster he needs to PLAY. If he's not getting 30-40% of the starts by mid-summer and at least 50% by fall I suspect they'll have done it wrong for Pinto's development...

Liked 1,268 Times in 733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    This suggests that Pinto might well make the roster:
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...er_Pinto031714

Thanks for pointing out this column. Really fascinating on the leadership and worth ethic angle. If Suzuki is willing to mentor Pinto, this could be a really good combination that could see playing time adjusted over the course of the season.

(And how could I not like him when he's compared to Mike Redmond?)
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 03-18-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Having any combination of Kubel, Parmelee and Colabello on the final opening day roster is a sure recipe for another 90+ loss season. NONE of the likes of them belong any place close to a MLB roster. Name me one more MLB team that would even be considering such ludicrous roster moves, ONE!
    There aren't any sure recipes for anything in baseball, particularly where it comes to the 24th or 25th man on the roster.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    100% this.
    200%, or something, this.

Blog Entries
    I am sure this has been posted elsewhere, but with Gardy perhaps liking Meyer out of the bullpen initially, this really has to push the aging guys like Guerrier out of the picture, right? I imagine at some point, they would send Meyer down to AAA to stretch out and come back starting in July or some such thing, but that would seem to mean a younger guy like Tonkin or Guerra would come up.

I would add Guerrier to the list with Kubel as competition fodder. And it may have helped some guys.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am sure this has been posted elsewhere, but with Gardy perhaps liking Meyer out of the bullpen initially, this really has to push the aging guys like Guerrier out of the picture, right? I imagine at some point, they would send Meyer down to AAA to stretch out and come back starting in July or some such thing, but that would seem to mean a younger guy like Tonkin or Guerra would come up.
    Source? I don't think Seth mentions Meyer. I'm all in favor of Meyer starting in AA. With even a quick stop in AAA before MLB. I do think Tonkin's and Deolis's stock is rising.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    "If the Twins could deal maybe Burton and/or Duensing, Tonkin and Hoffman would get a shot."

I seem to remember the two of them being on the trading block last July and getting little to no interest. Now that teams are getting closer to opening day rosters, is there reason to think that the interest in either reliever has or will increase?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

Minnesota Twins Roster Projection 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to cut Kubel. He has at least as much upside as Colabello or Parmelee IMO. Same for Bartlett. More upside there than Escobar or Florimon.
    In just what alternate universe do Kubel and Bartlett have more upside than Colabello/Parmelee and Escorbar/Florimon? Perhaps if it was for spots on the Rochester roster, certainly does not shake out in Target Field now, does it?

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    What scenario, besides Plouffe getting injured, do you envision in which Romero gets called up?
    I could see Romero, if he continues on his currently trajectory, being a call up under a couple scenarios:

1) A Plouffe injury
    2) A possible move of Plouffe to the OF (LF) due to Willingham trade or injury. Adding an additional RH bat and looking to the future more.
    3) An injury to Colabello or just a harsh crash return to earth, showing that his adjustments and improvement this year just aren't real.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I have read that Romero has at leat a little experience at 1B. He could provide a RH bat off the bench under some mentioned possibilities. After his virtual disappearance as a prospect in 2009, he has been slowly rebounding to a quality year last season after his late arrival due to visa problems, building on a strong 2012. I am willing to bet the anti-Plouffe fans might be clamoring a bit more for his receiving an opportunity had he been n ST last year and gotten a full season.

For the record, I am NOT anti-Plouffe, nor do I speculate a long and highly successful year for D Romero. However, I think he has the potential to be a helpful RH bat and role player.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I repeat that to this point, without showing a sudden upturn, I'd cut Kubel, go younger with Parmelee and Colabello, and see if I could convince Kubes to spend some time at Rochester to see if he can find himself.

I also think at this time it's almost a forgone conclusion that Hicks opens in CF, and I'm all in on that. But I also have Presley penciled in as the 4th OF. I am beginning to rethink that due to his poor ST thus far. Is Ramirez a real and viable option for that spot?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Source? I don't think Seth mentions Meyer. I'm all in favor of Meyer starting in AA. With even a quick stop in AAA before MLB. I do think Tonkin's and Deolis's stock is rising.
    It was on mlbtraderumors hours before I posted. I am surprised that no one here paid attention to/saw that from Gardy. Weird.

17. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-20-2014)

Blog Entries
    Again . . . another year . . . and a lot of attention given to spring training stats. It's a short sample and it is worse than any same short sample from actual true MLB time in the actual season. Good lord.

My question about this article is who are you going to put as the back up catcher of Chris Herman gets cut? Your first two roster projects both had Eric Fryer, which everyone know is crazy. He couldn't hit well at triple A, and he didn't hit well in the majors. Chris Hermann actually had some success at the major league level, so if anything he should have been the back up on your first two projections. The reason i ask my opening question is because Pinto should have been your first guess for back up catcher. First, he was exciting to watch last September at the major league level. Second, the twins have said a number of times that they wouldn't have a problem playing him 3-4 days a week on the major league squad, they don't feel its that important to keep him in the line up every day. Lastly, i mean Eric fryer? Where did that even come from? Thats about as random as picking James Beresford as your utility infielder. Both him and fryer were up in September, neither hit well, and there are better people than both of them.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rameriz could make the club, that would mean the Collabello would not, or they would send Presley down. That would be an issue with a fourth outfielder. Twins could trade some of their bullpen for a 4th outfielder, would depend on who, or trade Herrmann or Fryer with another player(Parmelee) to the Pirates for Tabata(Pirates also have excess relief pitching). Might take a bit more than that to get it done, but worth a try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Rameriz could make the club, that would mean the Collabello would not, or they would send Presley down. That would be an issue with a fourth outfielder. Twins could trade some of their bullpen for a 4th outfielder, would depend on who, or trade Herrmann or Fryer with another player(Parmelee) to the Pirates for Tabata(Pirates also have excess relief pitching). Might take a bit more than that to get it done, but worth a try.
    I would not trade a bullpen arm for a 4th OF. Mastro or Pressly are fine if they are your 4th OF and play once a week. Come July, teams may actually give something up for a reliever, but they won't give up squat for a 4th OF.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast